Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I avoid giving kids candy by putting an empty bowl with a sign that says "Take ONE" on my front porch ...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What a nasty *****.

Quite honestly if I were a fat little kid this would make me go home and cry into my candy jar and eat it all tonight. It sure as **** wouldn't do a thing to make me any healthier.

Why not start trying to sponsor kid's physical activities (many activities need funding) or something productive?
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she should take off her judgy pants and just give the kids some candy. Seriously, NOT NICE. If you'd like to be judgmental, just leave the lights off and watch a movie, or go out and eat a salad by yourself. No need to incriminate children. WOW.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (a school nurse) who feels the same way about passing out candy. She passes out glow in the dark slap bracelets. The kids love them. Much nicer than an unkind letter and probably more effective.

I like that. Great idea. Much better than mountains of candy. And of course of that letter.

This I see lot's of this. Every year I try to give out pencils just because the kids get more candy than they know what to do with and I was a nerdy enough kid that I liked that extra stuff. Hubsters though insists candy all the way and not any candy, only the best and full sized. It's one day a year, the kids are counting on it, and we don't wanna be "that house", he wins this argument every year and I put back the spider rings, pumpkin erasers, or whatnot. And then wait for all these cute things to be in kiddo's bag. LOL. Let the kids be freaking kids ONE DAY A YEAR. How do we know these little tubby kids aren't being put on check for every single meal every day of the year already in a concerted effort by their parent's and pediatricians? How do we know Halloween wasn't a hertofore agreed upon "cheat day" for the kid. We MFPers can relate to that right? Let the kids be kids. OMG kids...my sore spot. Every. Damn. Time. I'm getting predictable.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i am getting all the bad words i can in my head right now! Why does she care? Kids are kids and they are their parents responsibilities. Give candy or shut up!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Witchcandy.jpg
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    More power to her, was following a school bus the other day home(sigh) and almost all the kids that got off were obese or at least overweight.
    If you don't want your kid to get letters, stop sending them around to beg for candy.
    gtfo.gif

um... THIS. :)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    she got ppl talking about childhood obesity. she can forget the stupid plan and NOT do what she said she was going to and she's still done SOMETHING. kind of have to hand it to her, there...
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Keep your d**n opinion to yourself and opt out of Halloween if it bothers you that much.

If my girl came away from a house with a letter like that, I would be straight back to have words. I also think I'd gather all the recipients of said letters together to remind her that the choice is 'trick or treat', and in the absence of a treat....

Seriously, though, it's crap like this that leads kids into eating disorders.

1st thought... Lady is a total @$$
    2nd thought... Throat Punch
    3rd thought... This is how eating disorders are created
    4th thought... She's going to have a ton of livid parents at her doorstep.
    5th thought... Throat Punch

Awesome!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    "Waaaaahhh, waaaahhhh! Mommy! Daddy! She called me fat!"

C'mon...do we really need to care what others think? Throw the damn note away, and eat the other candy received from the countless other houses.

The letter does not have very good grammar. Basically, it is poorly written.

I was a fat kid, unfortunately, and had a few people in my past say words like this to me. Thankfully, I had great parents to teach me the other ways of the world that are much better. Today, those people which I do remember, have had some fates that were and are less than desirable. I did not wish any harm on them and still don't. But as I introduced myself to one of them, the shocked look of success on their face was enough to bring a smile to my face. No, they did not contribute to it at all, but walking away I realized how I am going to go back to my wonderful life, while that person is living a life of pity. No, I did not wish, nor do I wish harm. I surrounded myself with great people because I was taught to do so. People like this I left alone. Friends they might have, dunno, and I basically don't care.

In this case, the lady will get what's coming to her. Maybe she will see the light. Teach your kids. Throw the note away. Don't egg her house, don't waste your money. The best way to get back at her is to totally ignore her.

Seriously...think about it...just who is the victim here. I find it hard to believe that we have sunk so low that we truly believe its the children.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I avoid giving kids candy by putting an empty bowl with a sign that says "Take ONE" on my front porch ...

best idea
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

Don't be dense. It's not a letter "explaining that your child is a little overweight." It's an insulting, demeaning, humiliating slap in the face of a child. A child who may already be feeling crappy about being obese and is just out having some fun with his/her friends. Really. Don't be an *kitten*.
    I am being an *kitten*?
    People are saying that they would resort to physical violence for getting this note.
    And I am the *kitten*?
    I am not saying that this lady is right however; assuming that the kids are right there, punching this lady in the face is really the wrong message to pass to the kids.
    What is going to happen when she decides to stand her ground and defend herself from the physical assauly with deadly force?
    Won't that be a wonderful lesson for little Timmy?
    "Look, Daddy got his heart blown out because he decided to punch a housewife."
    No one should resort to violence.
    But, yeah, if people blowing off steam after hearing about this horrible woman's plan gets your more rankled than the actual horrible thing she's going to do, then you are being an *kitten*.
    There is a HUGE difference between blowing off steam and physically assaulting someone.
    Unless we have an entire thread full of liars, the majority feels justified to punching this woman, kicking this woman, or burning down her house.
    Awsome role models for the kids.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I like to be a problem solver.
    Okay well so far I've found two possible remedies.

A reactive plan to help mitigate any damage if the letter goes out:
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-obesity-letter-halloween-20131030,0,3525197.story#axzz2jE3mbby6

A proactive plan to try to prevent the letters from going out:
    http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2739574/snap-out-of-it-o.gif
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If she was really this concerned, handing out jump ropes with a cute little poem attached about exercising to burn off some of the extra candy energy would be much more effective. My kids would be thrilled to receive something like this and it gets the kids moving without offending anyone.

Some people just don't think things through. I don't think egging, tp, or violence is ever a good idea, but there are some people that would do it in a heartbeat. She sure is placing a target on herself.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    CandyNazi.jpg
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Meh karma...hurt a child it comes back triple fold

Thank you. I think this is the best response I've seen this thread.

I am so angry about this woman's letter, and about the way a few of the responses supporting her decision were worded, that I haven't been able to type an appropriate reply without enough vitriol to get at least a strike :cry: You came in with a voice of reason that reminds me I can let this go.

See, I have a child with a chromosome deletion that causes hypotonia, so even though he is near underweight, he has a pot belly and big droopy cheeks. I am always hearing "Oh, he's so chubby!" (He's young enough that right now people think it's a compliment :noway:) When, in fact, we are adding calories, and especially fats, to every meal just to keep him on the charts at all. In 5 years, I'm sure I'll get those well meaning comments about childhood obesity and, while I know better, it already breaks my heart.

Yes, my situation is not typical. But my point is, you never know what is causing the physical appearance of obesity. And shaming other people, especially kids, or their parents for being "bad parents", is never going to help.

OK, now I really can let it go.
    <deep breaths>
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

Don't be dense. It's not a letter "explaining that your child is a little overweight." It's an insulting, demeaning, humiliating slap in the face of a child. A child who may already be feeling crappy about being obese and is just out having some fun with his/her friends. Really. Don't be an *kitten*.
    I am being an *kitten*?
    People are saying that they would resort to physical violence for getting this note.
    And I am the *kitten*?
    I am not saying that this lady is right however; assuming that the kids are right there, punching this lady in the face is really the wrong message to pass to the kids.
    What is going to happen when she decides to stand her ground and defend herself from the physical assauly with deadly force?
    Won't that be a wonderful lesson for little Timmy?
    "Look, Daddy got his heart blown out because he decided to punch a housewife."
    No one should resort to violence.
    But, yeah, if people blowing off steam after hearing about this horrible woman's plan gets your more rankled than the actual horrible thing she's going to do, then you are being an *kitten*.
    There is a HUGE difference between blowing off steam and physically assaulting someone.
    Unless we have an entire thread full of liars, the majority feels justified to punching this woman, kicking this woman, or burning down her house.
    Awsome role models for the kids.

What people say on the internet and what people actually do are two entirely different things.

So yes, I believe the people saying they would physically assault this lady are blowing off steam. I do not believe most would actually do it. Not saying we couldn't possible have a nutter on MFP that would, just that 99 out of 100 would not.

Most just want to convey in a very graphical way is that this lady is out of order.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

This...definitely this...it's one thing to talk to me about it...but to give something like that to a child who may develop issues from this, this could be very damaging to the child and the person passing out the letter...more so to the woman passing out the letter...I'd punch a b***h.

To the poster above who says that he doesn't believe some of us would assault the woman...I don't have any kids, but if this happened to my niece or nephew, yeah, you better believe I would. I'd go to jail for assault for someone basically verbally abusing my niece/nephew. It is not her right to give a letter to the kids. Come talk to the parents all she wants, but to actually pass out letters to kids?!?! Kids who may already have self esteem issues and already hate the way they look. I was 9 and waaaaay overweight. I was struggling just to stay positive, I was struggling when I changed my ways, and I still have issues. I didn't need anyone else pointing out what I already knew at age 9. Though I had kids and my own brother and sister calling me fat and such. Things like this can have a lasting effect on kids that will be there their whole lives.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    RE: santimonious biiaaatch...hehe. exactly.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hand out a healthy snack to the kid, and the letter to the parents. If she feels the need to voice her opinion that is.

Disagree. Either all the kids get candy or all the kids get healthy snacks. It's still discrimination based on weight.