How to count excercise when cooking Thanksgiving Day

Options
How are you going to count all the cooking you will be doing on Thanksgiving? Are you going to count actual time or time for the whole day as you will be busy the whole day or at least most of it? Let me know how you plan to count this day. Thanks

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I will probably just let my fitbit track my activity and if it earns me more calories eat them. Or just not worry about it. Or actually excercise before the cooking starts and take a nice walk after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to cook....cooking, cleaning, etc are all included in my activity level. Yeah...I might doing a bit more than normal preparing this feast...but I'll also be eating said feast...not going to worry about tracking either exercise or calories...and certainly not cooking "exercise"
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a troll post.

Counting "exercise" when cooking at Thanksgiving?

I'm sure anything burned (and what are you doing...butchering your own meat?) will be more than made up for by the indulgence of the day.

I'm just waiting for someone to post some ridiculous "exercise" amount, so you can make sure you eat them all back! LMAO!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    How are you going to count all the cooking you will be doing on Thanksgiving? Are you going to count actual time or time for the whole day as you will be busy the whole day or at least most of it? Let me know how you plan to count this day. Thanks

I'll be using my fitbit to account for my activity.

Since I don't count calories or attempt to stay within a caloric goal, I pretty much use my fitbit to keep a running tab on my activity level. I do best somewhere around 15k steps or more per day, so that's the goal I'm trying to reach and surpass every day :drinker:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious about tracking calories cooking are you?? lol I am a chef and cook every work day for 8 hours for many more people than you will cook for that day and I don't track it as exercise. It's part if daily activity.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I will probably just let my fitbit track my activity and if it earns me more calories eat them. Or just not worry about it. Or actually excercise before the cooking starts and take a nice walk after.

This!^

I'll get my exercise in early. Cooking won't burn much at all anyway.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 10K at 7AM. That's the only exercise i'll be counting.

I doubt you'd even burn a piece of pumpkin pie off from cooking Thanksgiving dinner.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    ILL BE WEARING MY PEDIOMETER, SO WHAT IT SAYS!!!!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

</thread>

and i've cooked plenty of thanksgiving dinners.

cook dinner, eat all the food, call it even.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I will be counting the calories used to chase down my turkey before I kill it.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..

That is actually not true. It can be. I volunteer in a soup kitchen on Sundays. I am there for about 12 hours and together with three other people we prepare the food for about 450 meals. We carry soup pots that weigh about 75 pounds, make huge and heavy pots of rice and other foods, carry trays, carry sacks of potatoes and vegetables and most of all walk and are on our feet all day. I have gotten in as much as 18 000 steps. I usually log about two thirds of the time I do this. At about 171 calories an hour it's not all that much, but adds up if I log eight hours.
    I would never log cooking at home, even holiday cooking. I count that under my new " lifestyle ", where I am more active, but don't log those activities unless it is intentional exercise.
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely tracking my calories when cooking..

Then again this year I'll be using a stationary-bike-turned-generator to power my oven.. 100 mile of uphill biking it is!!!

**yes, this post was facetious. Yes, I've cooked entire thanksgiving dinners before, ending up soaked in sweat from the kitchen. No, I don't seem them as anywhere near the caloric intensity of my runs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No way would I ever count cooking as exercise.

And I have done an entire Thanksgiving meal for a house full of people and it involved a great deal of sitting around waiting for things to cook.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!

Get real! I cook more than a thanksgiving dinner every work day. You couldn't even fit some of the pots we use in a commercial kitchen on your home stove. Is it activity? Yes. Is it exercise to track? Heck no!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Part of normal daily activity IMO.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I'm not. Cooking isn't exercise. :ohwell: I will, however, count the 10K that I will be running that morning while the turkey is in the oven. :tongue:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Get real! I cook more than a thanksgiving dinner every work day. You couldn't even fit some of the pots we use in a commercial kitchen on your home stove. Is it activity? Yes. Is it exercise to track? Heck no!
    Agreed.

I used to host about 30 people for my daughter's birthday when she was young and we lived near more family. And I cooked everything from scratch to feed those 30 people and it was not something I would call exercise.

I've done Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners, hosted dinners at my house where I cooked everything and did most of the cleanup. None of it would I call exercise.

I make pies and crusts from scratch. I have done turkeys and several sides, baked bread from scratch ...

You name it, I've done it. I am quite familiar with cooking. And I don't have a lot of the gadgets people have to make it easier, either.