How to count excercise when cooking Thanksgiving Day

Options

Replies

• Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about logging the exercise, I'd focus on accurately logging the calorie consumption.

Or even better yet, focus on a PLAN so as not to over-eat that day . Otherwise I un-do all my hard work during the last month, all in ONE day. ouch. and to think Christmas & NewYearsEve & SuperBowl Sunday are just around the corner.

On holidays I try to have a sensible hi-protein hi-fiber breakfast & lunch & drink lots of water. And take a break from cooking from time to time, and enjoy the party & family & friends !!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    How are you going to count all the cooking you will be doing on Thanksgiving? Are you going to count actual time or time for the whole day as you will be busy the whole day or at least most of it? Let me know how you plan to count this day. Thanks

I'm sorry if other people have said this but cooking isn't exercise. However, if you are truly pedantic, no pun intended, wear a heart rate monitor while you cook.
    Kind regards,
    Ben
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    did you knew there is a chemical protien in turkey called trichnosis that makes you sleepy? thats why you sleep so good on thanksgivin night.

Yeah, that'd be Tryptophan. Trichinosis is the disease you get from a parasitic worm when consuming undercooked pork. And the dose of Tryptophan in Turkey is quite low. That whole idea is a myth. The sleepiness is more likely from overindulging and the amount of starchy carbs consumed.

LOL clearly your internet is not werking

Twerd.

trichinella.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    I tend to agree with the OP. I cook for two days, cook/bake well into the night, sleep for a bit, wake up early and start cooking again. Some of you may be avid cookers but I get a full workout when preparing Thanksgiving. My meals are not half hearted attempts and I run the full show, so maybe if you aren't getting a full workout cooking on Thanksgiving, maybe you just aren't doing it right.

:)

Well gee, you know as a semi-retired professional chef, former restaurant owner and former catering company owner, and current cooking class instructor, I'm guessing I'm doing it right. And I'm talking full blown everything from scratch.

Based on the amount of time it takes you and the "full workout' you say you are getting, I'm thinking it's you who are doing wrong. I'd strongly suggest a couple of classed at your local culinary school to learn some speed and knife techniques and how to properly prep and plan to that you can cut that time spent down.

If it took that much time to prep meals, even extensive ones, and that much exercise, in the restaurant business, you'd go broke.

Glad you got to it before I did. You were much nicer than I. Former saucier and sous, then started my own catering co. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Huh? You mean because chefs are notoriously skinny? I'm just going to take the day off and enjoy myself.

vevF0cM.gif
  • 27toheaven
    Options
    This thread is hilarious!

Im from UK so we don't eat thanksgiving dinner but no i would not not log it. I'm going to be doing some decorating and intense cleaning today and tommorow but will not be logging - i know i will burn extra calories but i'll just take them and not worry about going over by 2-300 kcals today as i know it will more than likely be covered.

I think there is a risk of one deluding themselves by overestimating burn be realistic, I'm sure you prepared big dinners before MFP and didn't even think about the workout you were getting from it!

You don't have to justify every calorie you eat some days you will eat alot others not. You can apply damage limitation by eating lower cals the day before and after and getting some workouts in on all those days if you can.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but are you serious? Is this a serious thread? I can't stop laughing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Huh? You mean because chefs are notoriously skinny? I'm just going to take the day off and enjoy myself.

vevF0cM.gif

NVM, I was being a **** wrong.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!

Thank you! Depending on what you are cooking, you will be on your feet ALL day and just because you are cooking does not mean you are eating.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you're joking, I cook for my family every single day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I have NEVER counted the calories I burn during that time why would you, you're only hurting yourself
  • afat12
    Options
    btw ~ I'm in no way discounting the labor of love to put on a wonderful Thanksgiving spread. Yes, it takes hours of physical work, and yes it is exhausting. I've done it many a time.

OP, I hope your family really appreciates all you do for them .
    ~Have a great holiday :flowerforyou:

this too! I wish more people were appreciative maybe they just haven't had any home cooked meals :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • afat12
    Options
    Please tell me you're joking, I cook for my family every single day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I have NEVER counted the calories I burn during that time why would you, you're only hurting yourself

Cooking during holidays can be an all day affair depending on what the spread is and if everything is from scratch just sayin'
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    did you knew there is a chemical protien in turkey called trichnosis that makes you sleepy? thats why you sleep so good on thanksgivin night.

I think you might be getting tryptophan (precursor of seratonin) mixed up with Trichinosis (an infestation of a parasitic roundworm) here!

Specifically, turkey does contain tryptophan, but it is the addition of carbohydrate that allows the body to convert it into seratonin, which gives the feel good vibe and often the sleepies. Or, it is because you ate waaaay too much and all the body can muster the strength to do is sleep so all energy can be put into digestion!

ETA: nice to see some other brainiacs had already pointed this out!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Cooking during holidays can be an all day affair depending on what the spread is and if everything is from scratch just sayin'

If it takes you all day, I'd recommend you take some of the same classes I suggested to the other person who said it took so long. Do you have any idea how whiny your posts sound?

I do about an hour or so prep the night before. Get up and make the family breakfast, stuff and get the Turkey in the oven, go catch the 2nd half of the local high school football team's game and come home and knock out the rest in a hour or 2. Just in time for the Turkey to be done and the pies to go in. Dinner by 3. No problem and certainly not exercise! lol I work harder at work everyday feeding many more people than on Thanksgiving.
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'll be taking the day off. Hopefully all the cooking offsets my eating lol I dont need to obsess everday...you need to learn to live life without MFP and still make good choices
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get where you're coming from. I regularly spend entire afternoons cooking and baking in my kitchen on weekends. It can be exhausting, but it's as much mental as it is physical. It's like the exhaustion you feel after a long, productive day of work at a desk job. You haven't really been more physically active than usual, but, because you've been singularly focused for several hours, you feel tired.. I cannot think of any home cook, in a typical home kitchen preparing a typical Thanksgiving meal, who should be considering their cooking efforts to be exercise.
  • 2sexilexi
    Options
    How about a step counter?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..

I disagree. ALL activity counts as exercise. Anytime we are off the couch moving, it is exercise. I found that out when I started wearing the FitBit Flex 24/7. You would be surprised how many calories one could burn spending hours cooking a large Thanksgiving dinner. Yep, it's exercise. Find a way to count it.

It's called living, of course you are always burning but part if that is already built into your allotted calories, cooking is not exercise.
  • dbmata
    Options

Just sayin' : colloquialism used by some to tell others that they've given up on logical thought in the current discussion.
  • dbmata
    Options

If it takes you all day, I'd recommend you take some of the same classes I suggested to the other person who said it took so long. Do you have any idea how whiny your posts sound?

I do about an hour or so prep the night before. Get up and make the family breakfast, stuff and get the Turkey in the oven, go catch the 2nd half of the local high school football team's game and come home and knock out the rest in a hour or 2. Just in time for the Turkey to be done and the pies to go in. Dinner by 3. No problem and certainly not exercise! lol I work harder at work everyday feeding many more people than on Thanksgiving.

Do you leave the oven on while you're out?