How to count excercise when cooking Thanksgiving Day

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!

LOL
    I used to cook two or three every year..

1 for family (anywhere from 8 to 35 people)
    1 for friends (usually around 10ish people)
    and 1 for fun :) (boyscouts or another organization or just to eat it again)

Cause seriously.. it's thanksgiving dinner.. it deserves a few repeats.. mmmmm and sometimes I want ham and they want turkey.. solution?? two dinners! whoot whoot! :~)

OH a soup kitchen is entirely different the cooking at home for exercise.. I might lift a huge bag of potatoes once or twice or a full pot once or twice at home.. that's not exercise that's normal life.

I'm pretty sure the amount of "tastes" negates any calories burned anyway. lol Plus.. wine and cider...cooking always gets more interesting as the day goes on.. heh..
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    0bb69f87_954-not-sure-if-serious.jpeg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I guess those people who have never prepared a Thanksgiving dinner have a right to complain about the "lack" of exercise used in cleaning, preparing, lifting, mixing, etc. that is involved in cooking. While I will let my fitbit track it for me, I do not plan on using cooking as my exercise. I plan on running before the dinner and maybe walking after I indulge. Enjoy your day and try not to sweat the cooking issue too much!

Get real! I cook more than a thanksgiving dinner every work day. You couldn't even fit some of the pots we use in a commercial kitchen on your home stove. Is it activity? Yes. Is it exercise to track? Heck no!

c'mon though! taking a turkey out of the oven is like 1 bent-over row or a deadlift! :laugh:

hilarious thread is hilarious.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Fitbit
  • nuts4elephant
    nuts4elephant Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can count it as "cleaning," just make sure you also input anything you taste while you're cooking. hope that helps!:smile:
  • lisam625
    lisam625 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well you dont. Cooking isnt considered "exercise" in my opinion.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am only responding with the hopes of goods gifs at some point......
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    You can count it as "cleaning," just make sure you also input anything you taste while you're cooking. hope that helps!:smile:

HUGE help!
    now those that are micro-tracking "exercise" can micro-track "tasting"

thumbs-up.gif
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's too early to talk about Thanksgiving, Halloween hasn't even passed!

I don't do the cooking so I'm not concerned about it.
    One day I will take over the cooking from my aunt and I'm looking forward to no more dry turkeys...
    And things that are warm....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..

That is actually not true. It can be. I volunteer in a soup kitchen on Sundays. I am there for about 12 hours and together with three other people we prepare the food for about 450 meals. We carry soup pots that weigh about 75 pounds, make huge and heavy pots of rice and other foods, carry trays, carry sacks of potatoes and vegetables and most of all walk and are on our feet all day. I have gotten in as much as 18 000 steps. I usually log about two thirds of the time I do this. At about 171 calories an hour it's not all that much, but adds up if I log eight hours.
    I would never log cooking at home, even holiday cooking. I count that under my new " lifestyle ", where I am more active, but don't log those activities unless it is intentional exercise.

What does it add up to if you back out BMR and how does that compare to other activity? Also, what is your activity level set to?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One day I will take over the cooking from my aunt and I'm looking forward to no more dry turkeys...
    Wrap it in tinfoil and baste, baste, baste! But don't open the overn door too often or it will take 11 hours to cook like one year with my family until my mother finally stood in front of the oven to stop my aunt from opening it. lol

I have done two turkeys (both the same year) and one I got this recipe that called for smearing butter, lemon juice and I think it was rosemary under the skin. I'm vegetarian and didn't taste it, but everyone claimed they loved it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I cook Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner every year and cook about 99.9% of the meals in my household as well...and I primarily scratch cook and do most of the clean-up as well. It should be included in your NEAT...that's your MFP activity level as something you do day to day...big deal that I do some extra on a holiday...it's an outlier, not a daily occurence. If I was cooking for 5- 6 hours every day that might be a different story..worrying about counting that as exercise for a couple holidays out of the year is just plain silly. Have an extra beer or a couple glasses of wine...that should pretty much cover it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

HUGE help!

thumbs-up.gif

But I'm doing everything right and it just isn't working...

uh_wtf_gif.gif
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Wrap it in tinfoil and baste, baste, baste! But don't open the overn door too often or it will take 11 hours to cook like one year with my family until my mother finally stood in front of the oven to stop my aunt from opening it. lol

I have done two turkeys (both the same year) and one I got this recipe that called for smearing butter, lemon juice and I think it was rosemary under the skin. I'm vegetarian and didn't taste it, but everyone claimed they loved it.

She just overcooks it but cooking it the day before, carving it, and putting it in those tinfoil pans and reheating in the oven.
    The dark meat is typically alright so I don't eat the breast meat lol

That method sounds pretty good, I'd add garlic and use thyme instead of rosemary though lol
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My rool of thumb is: (cals burned)
    prepering turky : 750
    opening can of cranberrie: 265
    cooking punkin pie: 375
    opening cool whip :245
    openiong stuffin box :80
    prepering stuffinh; 500
    each bite (=chomp chomp);7.5
  • mmapags
    Options

HUGE help!

thumbs-up.gif

But I'm doing everything right and it just isn't working...

uh_wtf_gif.gif

DUDE! It's like you are in my brain!! :tongue:
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    did you knew there is a chemical protien in turkey called trichnosis that makes you sleepy? thats why you sleep so good on thanksgivin night.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cooking isn't exercise...

I'll count the "after I stuff my face" walk I hope to take, unless I pass out.. which is high probability.. and if i get my butt to the gym in the morning i'll count that..
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I disagree. ALL activity counts as exercise. Anytime we are off the couch moving, it is exercise. I found that out when I started wearing the FitBit Flex 24/7. You would be surprised how many calories one could burn spending hours cooking a large Thanksgiving dinner. Yep, it's exercise. Find a way to count it.
  • mmapags
    Options
    did you knew there is a chemical protien in turkey called trichnosis that makes you sleepy? thats why you sleep so good on thanksgivin night.

Yeah, that'd be Tryptophan. Trichinosis is the disease you get from a parasitic worm when consuming undercooked pork. And the dose of Tryptophan in Turkey is quite low. That whole idea is a myth. The sleepiness is more likely from overindulging and the amount of starchy carbs consumed.