People having success, what exercise do you do?

Options
Could those people who are doing well give me an idea of what kind of exercises you do daily/weekly, and how long and how often you do them? I am trying to tweak my exercise to give me better results, and I just want to hear what has been working for others.

I want to hear about everything - cardio, weight lifting, strength, resistance, and cross training everything in between, yoga, pilates, walking! Want to know how the fit people live :)

Also, please say what results you are having - for instance, if you are losing weight doing this or that, or losing body fat percentage doing this or that, or toning/strengthening muscles doing this or that. I know there are "theories" as to which type of exercise does what, but I want to know what results YOU are really seeing. For instance, I did "cardio" yesterday, but the way my abs feel today, I know I definitely got more than just cardio results out of that workout. That sort of thing is particularly interesting to me - when certain exercises have results in more than one area of weight loss, fat loss, fitness, strengthening, toning, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady

Replies

• HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    <== Doing alot of lower body changed my whole body, I did a dvd 6 week plan called the butt bible, 2 days of lower, 2 days of upper, 2 cardio and 1 rest a week.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, ancient Nordic track (about 30 years old, still works), walking, hiking, running up and down my front steps (only about 6 steps but gets me huffing..) Anything to move.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Lift big weights, full body workout, 3x per week. Eat a small calorie deficit. Cardio if/when you feel like it. Profit.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hill walking, hill hiking, tennis, and DVDs (random ones on youtube.com) for awhile, I was into the 30 day squat challenge.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I sat on the couch a lot and after four or five months finally started seeing my abs. That has led me to believe couch sitting is definitely a worth while exercise.

Oh I was eating at a slight deficit too. Not sure whether that was related or not.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've always done sports and have picked up swimming again two months ago. When I was a kid I did competitive swimming too.
    At the moment I swim 4 to 5 times a week (training) for over an hour and go to competitions all around the country. Per training I burn up more than 650kcal/hour, eating about 4000kcal/day to satisfy my hunger, and 3000kcal on days I don't swim. I try to eat at least every 2 hours to keep my metabolism running. Following a healthy and protein-rich diet.

I've always been in shape but not very muscular. But since I picked up swimming again I already gained 2-3kg and can start seeing a difference.

Swimming is one of the most healthy sports out there (you use all of your muscle groups) and is definitely a good choice if you want to lose weight (fat) - or gain (muscle). And above all: You'll feel fit and energized after every exercise!
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

About how many minutes per day/week are you guys doing these exercises?

Cheers,
    Voodoo Lady
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I gave yogilates a shot for a few months and I ended up with better muscle tone, but nothing too visible. It's the kind of sport that gets easy very fast. Now I'm into Kangoo Jumps and it's the best cardio I ever had. It's so much fun that you just can't take a break although you're covered in sweat and out of breath :)
    I work out 1-3times/week for about 1h. I would like to go more 3x times/week than 1x, but I have health issues and I must wait for a 'good day' to work out.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I do 3 full body weights sessions (NROL4W) and 3 cardio sessions (C25k) per week with one day off per week. Losing 1 kg/week, gaining muscle tone :).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Insanity!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I did P90X along with running and spin classes!!!
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Options
    I use FitnessBlenders' videos for cardio which I do 3-5 times per week. The other days I rest or am walking around (Uni/town)
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Jiu jitsu 4-5 days a week. Judo once a week. Kickboxing once a week. calisthenics daily (push ups, air squats, pull ups etc.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Got to do what you like!

I started with Slim in 6, then started doing Bodypump/Les Mills Pump twice a week (at the gym then at home). Then I started walking. Now I walk an hour a day in average and I'm doing ChaLean Extreme (well, at least the weight lifting parts) 3-5 times a week.

I did some other classes (BodyJam, Zumba) and tried a couple more workouts (Turbo Fire) but I'm just not much into it.
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Full body workout as heavy as you can go 3X a week. It is proven to cause the most change overall. Cardio will burn fat but not build muscle. The more muscle, the higher your metabolism, hence the more fat burning every minute of everyday.
  • themtron
    themtron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do T25, 5 days a week, 25 mins a day. I've lost about 6lbs, but have gained a lot of muscle and my body is very toned.

Prior to T25 I did a lot of Zumba and that was not only fun, but helped me lose 5lbs.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My gym offers Les Mills courses, so lots of Les Mills. That and some weight machines and cardio (treadmill, bike, elliptical) mixed in. I don't do free weights, and I probably won't...they scare me, and I'm an expat so there's a HUGE language gap.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a Day 1/Day 2 exercise plan I stick to that has cardio and strength training combined. I aim for 3-5 days a week, it takes about an hour total. Eat at a deficit and have lost varying weights between 4-6 pounds a month and 2% bf loss each month so far.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I try to go running 3-4 times per week, though if I'm not well I don't always feel up to it. I also walk to and from the bus stop every work day (briskly so I'm out of breath), and have started doing some pilates again (I used to do it a lot). I'm a bit skint at the moment so can't afford a gym membership. Running is the cost of some trainers, a hi viz vest, a sports bra and a running pouch for my phone. I bought expensive running shoes as a birthday present to myself, but the rest cost me £30 in total from amazon and sports direct. These are one-off payments I won't need to repeat for several years. Pilates is the cost of a DVD and if you want, a pilates mat, although if you have a carpeted room and some blankets you don't really need one. I think I spent about £20 in total on my pilates stuff, and it's lasted over 4 years. I went for the Darcy Bustle Pilates for Life, but there are loads out there.