People having success, what exercise do you do?

Options

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Losing about 1-2 lbs per month. It has started coming together after I bought a heart rate monitor and started consistently pushing my HR for extended times about 130 BPM (I am 50 year old male).

Exercises:

1. Walk/run intervals
    2. Running
    3. Stairmaster - Best bang for buck
    4. Elliptical - not as much - you have to really work hard to truly burn calories - MFP's estimates are always high
    5. Kettlebell

Next month

Lift Heavy Weights - It is time to start
    more Calesthenics
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    2nd week of Turbofire! Love the burn :)
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    mon - Night Club Cardio (hip Hop Dance Class - 45mins)
    tues C.S.I. - Cardio Strenth Interval clas 45 mins
    weds - Les Mills Body attack - 1hr
    Thurs - C.S.I. - Cardio Strenth Interval clas 45 mins
    Fri - rest day or zumba
    Sat - Spin or rest day
    Sun - rest day or walk with kids

I mostly do classes offered at my gym. My rest days vary on how im feeling.. This week I was pretty worn out by weds so that was my rest day. I try not to skip CSI or the NCC class since they are my favorites. When I first started I did purely zumba or walking. Once I added in the CSI classes (weights/pushup/burpees) I started gaining more muscle and actually seeing more definition in my legs and arms.

So far its been working for me.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Circuit training always gives me the best looking body/results and it doesn't take much time. I workout M,W,F running on the treadmill (just because I love it) for 30min and follow up with a 15min high intensity circuit training routine. The rest is diet, but I'm still working on that :wink:
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Swimming

Currently following a 6 week program to swim 1mile freestyle (1500m). Oh i started swimming after losing 1.5 stone just tracking in MFP and keeping at 1200 cals, which was fine as i was not and unable to count 100% accuracy but a very good ball park figure. I imagine it was actually around 1300-1400 or so.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% your diet and exercise is for fitness. You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight but you will feel and look better with some muscle. Do the exercise that you like to do for the fitness aspect of it rather than trying to exercise away fat.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise while actively losing weight. Started walking after I transitioned into maintenance and I now walk/run 5-6 days a week, usually for two miles at a time. Results-my calves are very firm now and when I flex I can now see my thigh muscles, which is really cool because I'm pear shape and my thighs have always been my problem area.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Organized workouts go against my religion ;) I do what's fun. I live on a mountain ridge, so I'm unfamiliar with the term "flat." Walking to my mailbox (1/8 mi) get's my heartrate into the anaerobic zone.

I bike 4 miles average of 3 times a week (daily when the weather's nice) takes about 35 minutes. I walk 5k (3 mi) average of 3 times a week, takes between 1 hour and 75 min, depending on the day and what kind of head wind you're fighting. I horseback ride average of 3 times per week, anywhere from 60 min to 2.5 hours, with a combination of walking/trotting/cantering.

For heavy lifting, farm work. I clean the chicken coop, clean the barn, throw 75lb hay bales, use a zero turn walk behind to mow 3 acres of mountain pasture, use a push mower to mow the yard, etc.

I'm losing inches like crazy right now, about 3 in less than a month. And I have fun :) I've dropped a point in BF in the last two weeks. I've lost 23 lbs in four weeks (hopefully more, as tomorrow is weigh in.)
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Cardio 1hr 2x a week and strength training for 30min 3x a week with a 30 min cardio chaser. I work with a personal trainer so my strength training workouts are different each time, but there is always a Upper Body, Lower Body and a Back/Core day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My routine is a bit of a "Heinz varieties" - I like to mix things up to keep it fresh and challenging.

Typical week is about 5,400 calories burned:
    Daily cycle or walk to/from the train station.

Weights is normally 3 one hour sessions a week.
    Mixture of barbell, dumbbell, weights machines, body weight exercises. I always do it in a quick tempo circuit training style though - mostly because I enjoy it more that way but also because it has always fitted my goals and sports better. Can't do most of the big compound lifts due to knee and back injuries so the high volume of circuit training compensates for this. Strength wise I'm probably back to 80% of my peak strength 20/30 years ago.

Cardio is typically 3 sessions, 2 one hour and 1 longer session per week.
    Mix of Spinning bike (mix of LISS, high intensity or heartrate zone training), rowing machine (at least once a week, varies from 2k sprints to 10k endurance), elliptical, treadmill once a week normally 3k run as fast as I can. Longer session is mostly outdoor cycling, recently either 2 hours fast as possible or longer session cycling in beautiful Surrey countryside and tackling hills (good for the soul as well as heart/lungs/legs). Set a PB for cycling 100 miles in a day this year. Probably near my lifetime peak for cardio fitness.

Abs and core work is mostly done as part of weights circuits but sometimes as an accessory and I do a high volume as I've found the more I do the better my damaged lower back is. Mix of gym ball (some with weights), floor work, hanging leg raises, single dumbbell side bends. Strong abs/core has been the single biggest factor in transforming me from someone who would pull their back washing the car or getting out of bed to someone very active and fit. Almost never take any meds now whereas I used to be taking tablets most days.

Stretching - once in a blue moon, find it desperately boring....
  • Lepouxo
    Lepouxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I walked and still walk between 1 hour and 1.5 hour daily. It helped me lost weight and now maintain my weight
  • starrycarina
    Options
    For me, really simple stuff. I do Zumba daily currently for about 20-30 minutes and I'm walking a mile every other day or so. I'm sure I'm going to have to increase all of it once I'm getting down more and more but for now, it's working REALLY well for me.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I try to go running 3-4 times per week, though if I'm not well I don't always feel up to it. I also walk to and from the bus stop every work day (briskly so I'm out of breath), and have started doing some pilates again (I used to do it a lot). I'm a bit skint at the moment so can't afford a gym membership. Running is the cost of some trainers, a hi viz vest, a sports bra and a running pouch for my phone. I bought expensive running shoes as a birthday present to myself, but the rest cost me £30 in total from amazon and sports direct. These are one-off payments I won't need to repeat for several years. Pilates is the cost of a DVD and if you want, a pilates mat, although if you have a carpeted room and some blankets you don't really need one. I think I spent about £20 in total on my pilates stuff, and it's lasted over 4 years. I went for the Darcy Bustle Pilates for Life, but there are loads out there.

oooh forgot to say my results - sorry! My bum & thighs are more toned, I've lost inches off my waist, I've lost nearly a stone since July (steady I know, but I have never put on weight and I've been ill a fair bit). I've had a quad injury for a while, and that has improved due to increasing the strength. My cardiovascular system is significantly better - I no longer get out of breath going upstairs!
  • JessiAnn88
    JessiAnn88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 rounds of the 30DS and have now moved on to stronglifts 5x5. With 30DS i lost weight and inches and with stronglifts i've mainly been losing inches, but i look way more fit then i did just doing the shred. Running when i can get to it 1-2 miles
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what others do.

What will work for you is what makes you happy. That will keep you consistent.
  • annabanana321x
    annabanana321x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I moved cities and joined a gym that offered circuit training. I did it for two weeks before the gym shut unexpectedly and I lose out on my year's membership :( so it's back to Zumba/jogging/walking for me. I generally do 3 days, 60 minutes each time of Zumba and supplement the rest of the week by walking. I look slimmer and my clothes fit better but my weight isn't going down.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week, for at least 30 minutes. I always start out with about 10 minutes of yoga to warm up. Then I do 25-45 minutes of either circuit training or zumba for cardio. The circuit is either one of Jillian Michael's, or one's I've created myself. Then, depending on how much time I have left ( I workout at lunch), I will do 15-20 minutes of strength training.

I've lost 49 lbs over the last 8 mts, although I think that was more so due to my change in eating habits. However, I can definitely say that since the incorporation of strength, my muscles have changed quite a bit. I think it's very likely I've lost more than 49 lbs in actual fat, and muscle has replaced it. I highly recommend it, the muscles I can actually FEEL now, are amazing. Overall, I think my workouts have helped speed up my loss, as I'm at a higher deficit on the days I workout obviously.

I try to keep each workout well-rounded, so I'm getting the cardio to keep my heart rate up, but I'm also working in some strength and toning.
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I run 4-7 miles four times a week. The other days are weight training for about an hour each time, alternating between chest and arm exercises, and back and shoulders.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    for me WALKING!
    Even I can not believe how well that has worked.
    I walked 2 miles a day 5 days a week then 5 miles per day on the weekend.
    It worked!
  • teesfood
    Options
    Good morning! Great topic today =)

I currently do cardio every morning (been slacking due to some issues) for a half hour. I get on the elliptical machine and do a steady pace of about 3.2. If I'm lucky enough to make it to the gym in the evenings, I'll do another half hour of cardio with interval training for 15 minutes. Really breaks out a sweat!

On the evenings I make it to the gym, every other night, I'll do strength training - working everything, arms, legs, chest, back. Some things I like to do in the comfort of my own home like lunges and squats.

I've lost 5 lbs in the last month =) I'm also on the heavier side, so you know the weight tends to come off alot easier when you first start. Blessings on your journey!