People having success, what exercise do you do?

Options

Replies

• MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I walk most days of the week, between an hour and a half and two hours at a brisk pace. On days when I can't walk (because of the weather or time constraints) I go to the gym and do an hour of cardio, split between whichever three pieces of equipment I feel like using that day. I do weight training two or three days a week.

Walking, though, is my absolute favourite form of exercise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and lost 1.5 inches in my butt and 1 inch in each of my thighs. It hasn't done much for upper body, not surprisingly. I just started incorporated step aerobics with weighted gloves to give both my lower and upper body a cardio workout. Eventually, I'm going to start shadow boxing to my Everlast training video.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% your diet and exercise is for fitness. You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight but you will feel and look better with some muscle. Do the exercise that you like to do for the fitness aspect of it rather than trying to exercise away fat.

Pretty much this^^

Exercise should be based on what you want to do and the fitness goals you have as well as what you are likely to do. Basically most exercises will provide some value if you do them consistently. The common denominator of value is consistency. Do whatever you will stick to.

"Screw your courage to the sticking place"
  • webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run or cycle everyday. I do some weight at home regularly. When I'm at gym, about 2-3 times a week, I do HIIT and smash it until I cant move anymore for about 2 hours and that includes cycling there and back for 12 minutes or so. I have a heart rate monitor so when I do HIIT I always keep myself above 140 bpm. I have changed my diet completely within 2 months and now only eat food that i know exactly what is in it and use MFP religiously. I have lost 22 kgs since june went from a tight fitting 97cm pant to now loose fitting 82cm. I have gotten myself down to 8.5% body fat (no idea what I was but was at 10% a month ago. I have gained roughly 3 kgs lean muscle mass. I am now embarking on a mission to eat less meat and more veg and do lots of calisthenics. I aspire to have a physique, power and strength like Frank Medrano. For me it isnt about a diet or a length of time its a total lifestyle choice that I choose to embrace.
  • BigRamsay01
    Options
    I'm only getting started myself, been at this 2 months or so exercising. However, what I simply do currently is 30 mins of a very high incline (13-15) on the treadmill at 3.0-3.2 on the speed. Afterwards I go do a round of various weight machines depending on which muscles I want to work on. Not sure if this helps at all, but tis what I do. :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For me, I needed a simple lifting program. So I opted for a two day split of compound exercises:

4 sets of 6 reps with set 1 at 50% and then work my way up to 100%.

Day 1: Bench, Deadlift, Leg curls

Day 2: OHP, Squat, Rows

It's been really easy for me to stick with this so I've made a lot of progress. :happy:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've lost probably about 15 pounds so far and inches as well, not sure how much, only my clothes are baggy. :)

I have a gym membership and do a lot of Les Mills stuff-- BodyCombat (martial arts style aerobics) BodyPump (strength and toning with weights) BodyJam (dance) BodyBalance (yoga/pilates), and step aerobics. Was riding my bike when it was warmer.... sigh. :(

I hit the gym pretty hard a few days a week as I am not a fan of low calorie diets, though I am watching what I eat in order to lose some weight. Generally I love a good workout and I like to switch things around so the body doesn't get too "used" to the exercise and it stays interesting.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles a day
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do these classes at my gym:
    LesMills Body Pump! twice a week for an hour each
    Yoga/pilates twice a week for 45 min

I also go dancing on almost every friday and saturday night.

I try to walk at least 30 mins a day on my work lunch break (weather permitting)
    and if I don't have any plans in the evening, get in ~30 min of cardio at the gym.

I'd like to add in more strength training eventually.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you do really, weight loss is mostly about having a deficit.
    As for workouts, do what you like.

I personally lift 3X a week which has shaped my body the way I wanted and I do yoga 2-3 times a week for flexibility. I don't do Cardio, I hate it.

To each their own, I say :wink:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think I am a "fit" person yet. I just walk. That's about it. I admit I am pretty darn lazy. My weight loss is without a doubt more from a calorie deficit than anything else.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I only ever exercise about 2-3 times a week. Brisk walks, bike rides, and stuff like walking lunges and other body weight exercises were what I did when. I was losing weight. I switched the Body Weight To lifting heavy as I got close to maintenance. Lifting heavy has made my goal weight look even better on this body!

I lost weight slowly, on purpose. I did the 0.5 pounds a week route since I only had about 15 pounds to lose.

Weight loss success for me was consuming less calories than I used, regardless of exercise. I have a tendency to switch up my exercise every 6-8 weeks as boredom sets in.
    Success in making my lighter weight body look better was due to lifting heavy.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Monday - 45 minute spinning and 30 minute yoga
    Tuesday - 60 minute strength training
    Wednesday - 60 minute boot camp and 2 mile run
    Thursday - 45 minute spinning, 45 minute cardio, 75 minute yoga
    Friday - 30 minute cardio, 30 minute strength
    Saturday - 90 minute yoga, 45 minute run
    Sunday - rest
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K this summer but did not start eating better until August when I started Jillian Michael's Body Revolution program. I am on week 10 currently. I work out 6 days a week with the workouts being about 30 minutes each. I sometime just run on cardio days instead of doing her cardio DVDs. I do not have my notebook handy for inches lost but as of this morning I am down 15.4 lbs. I attribute any weight lose to just eating at my deficit though since I eat all my calories back. With the DVDs I usually burn around 250-300 according to my heart rate monitor depending on the workout. I also walk about a mile with my kids a few days a week. We live a bit of a hilly area so it is a minor workout while pushing a stroller.

I have a total of 50 lbs I want to lose so I do not see much in the mirror in terms of muscle definition since it is all under fat. My clothes are definitly fitting way better and I have had to start getting rid of some pants because they will not stay up. Since starting Body Revolution I do feel like my running has improved. I do not feel as winded while running.

For me a set program like Body Revolution works because I like seeing the progression in what I can do and having a finishing point. Not a final finishing point but I feel like I have accomplished at least a short term goal. I plan on doing it one more time in January and then maybe moving to Focus T25.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells classes about every other day, and on the other days, I vary between other classes at my gym such as bodypump, bodycombat, bodyvive, Zumba, core, yoga. On days when I can't fit a class into my schedule, I go on the elliptical for about 40 minutes and I also add the elliptical to class days when I have time, which isn't every day but at least a couple of times a week.

It's MUCH easier for me to exercise a lot and eat more than it is to try to stick to a low-calorie diet. A lot of people on this site say that exercise doesn't matter, but for me, it absolutely does.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    HIIT 4 times a week for an hour.:drinker:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week, about 30 minutes except for the weekend day where I can be running between an hour and 2 hours, although that is dropping off a little now that I've finished my half marathon and I won't be training for anything until early spring. So it will be 30 minutes running 2-3 days a week and about an hour on a weekend day for a "long run"

I also do light training on machines 2 days a week and I'm stepping up the weight amounts now that I'm not psycho focused on training for a 1/2 marathon. Non running exercise will be easier to do once it's dark and cold out...

I've been drifting up and down between the same 4 pounds since I started training for my half back in May. Now that it's over I need to buckle down. I'd like to get the last 12 pounds off by March, we shall see. It's just a number at this point anyway as I'm healthy and happy.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    walking and weight lifting. :bigsmile:

ETA: I do walking 6 days, 5 miles a day and weight lifting 5 days 40-60 mins. doing lower and upper body every other day, with Sunday being my rest day.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually run 4x a week. 30-45 minutes each time on week days and then a long run on Saturdays usually 6-10 miles, depending on how I'm feeling or how much time I have.

I started this back in May and on an average lost 1-2 lbs per week. Lost 40 lbs in 5 months.

I had been training for a 1/2 marathon and that is what helped me stay dedicated. Now that it's winter and cold out, I've kind of slacked off a bit but am maintaining at this point.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The common thing that I see in this thread is that all these activities make you sweat and make you push yourself.

I wish I could go back in time 10 years ago when I was just "mailing it in" thinking I was doing great by ambling at 2.0-2.5 mph for an hour saying - "Yep I have done my walk.. I am all good" :sad:

now i can go on the Stairmaster for 30 minutes straight and maintain a HR of 140 BPM - It looks like someone threw a water balloon at me when I am done (and I have to wipe off the steps!!!!)

Disclaimer: I do understand that there are some people here who have medical conditions and are recovering from injuries and that means that 2.0-2.5 mph even for 5-10 minutes is improvement and a victory... by no means am I trying to make less of your hard fought work :smile: