WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had a surprise NSV yesterday. I went to buy some new pants because having only three pair is not very practical and I wanted something a little dressier than jeans. The size 10’s were baggy on me and the new ones are size 8! I haven’t worn a size 8 since I was 8 years old. :noway: Of course those were 8 children’s. :wink: I haven’t lost any more weight but I am working on firming up, so that must be the reason for the size change. The skinny jeans I bought recently are 10s. I tried the 8s when I was shopping for the skinny jeans and they were TOO tight. UGH. If I'd been 18 I might have been willing to squeeze myself into them, but I'm not willing to be uncomfortable for the sake of fashion.:glasses:

Pat (Phoo in AZ): Telling the pastor about your concerns for the little lady you work with at church seems to be the exact right thing to do. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: Everyone slips now and then. We’re cheering for you.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I am so impressed with your trip to Kansas City. I think it is wise to visit the hospital and learn your way around ahead of time, not silly at all. Everything you do to make yourself more comfortable and confident is a good thing.:flowerforyou:

Sandy: Good news about your ex. Hopefully you’ll both be able to move on with less baggage.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: We have friends who used to be CMA members. They really enjoyed the experiences and people. They had to give up their motorcycle this year for health reasons. It was time for a change, and now they’re traveling in their RV.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Congratulations on the new baby coming in your family. :love: :flowerforyou: I’ve got to admit I’m confused about the Dd reference.

Rori & Joyce: I’m not a fan of artificial sweeteners but use them anyway since I drink caffeine free diet coke. I tried coke zero and hated it. Other than that I use real sugar or stevia. The stevia is what I use in my coffee and I buy the liquid version at Walmart. The dry packets are way too sweet for me.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Sorry you lost your post. That is so frustrating, and that is why I have a word document open this very minute where I’m typing my responses.:wink:

Heather: I enjoy the glimpses of life in other parts of the world, too. I’ve read a lot of books set in England over the years and like the view from someone real and in my age group. My favorite English authors are Arthur Ransome who wrote fabulous children’s books, and **** Francis who wrote mysteries set in the horseracing world. Unfortunately, both have passed, Arthur Ransome years ago and **** Francis more recently.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the gratitude quotation! Wonderful.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • Katla49
    Options
    I can't believe I couldn't type the name D*ck without it turning into stars. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The author is D*ck Francis.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    Katla- I use stevia too. i just started buying the liquid version at walmart- I have been using truvia for a couple of years, and I use the packets in my tea...
    Well I feel much much better, I got my butt in gear and race walked for an hr - 4 miles.. so im hoping that helps a bit....took the boys for a walk around the block before my race walk, and have laundry in the dryer..
    was going to rake leaves ,but decided not to because we wont do anything until the weekend an it is supposed to rain today..
    Kevrit has started her new job here in Ct, and looking forward to meeting with her sometime soon
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.
    More rain and cooler temps coming in.
    Thankful today for this wonderful group of amazing women.
    HUGS
    jane:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies - happy hump day!!!

I was sad yesterday, I lost my fitbit at work. I retraced my steps as I could pinpoint about the time I lost it, but couldn't find it. I even stopped by the security station to see if anyone turned it in. No luck. I had attached a label to the back of it w/my phone number and email address, so even had my fingers crossed someone would contact me if they found it. Its funny how you can grow so attached to such a little gadget. Well after that happened, I lost all my motivation to get any more steps in for the day, but today is a new day!!!

It was funny, the security guard didn't know what a pedometer was, had to explain it to him.

It's been a pretty hectic week as I'm trying to get everything in order before our cruise. I plan on eating healthy on vacation and getting lot's of activity in, so my goal is that the scale will remain the same.

Wishing everyone a lovely week,
    Suzy
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day!! It is cold and windy here, but no snow!!!! Today I am Thankful for a God that loves and forgives me. Gives what I need to live a better life.

Rebelrenny--:flowerforyou: Congrates on the next expected grandbaby. I just love being the grandma as can spoil them and then when we both need a nap they go home. I did find out the other evening that I am going to be a Great Grandma again next summer. I worry about my grand daughter Jessica as she has a boy that will be 3 in Janurary and a husband who thinks working is not that big a deal. She works 50 hour weeks. But she is conviced she does not want a step parent for her children as she had a bad step dad after my son was divorced from her mom. So all I can do is love her and pray.

Heather--:smile: I enjoy your posts and learn alot about the UK and your travels. Great thing about this group we are all so different yet have the same goals to lose weight and be healthy.

Barbie--:happy: Thanks for the wise words.

Katla--:flowerforyou: Great NSV with smaller size. I still find myself looking for the biggest size and hoping it will not be to tight. It seems strange to be several sizes smaller. We enjoy CMA and have been members for 5 years. We have several members that don't ride anymore for one reason or other and they are still very active with our group. When we do a ride they will drive behind and that is nice just in case there are any problems. And I admit if it is really hot I will ride with them.

Suzy--:cry: Sorry you lost your fitbit. Hopefully someone honest will find it and return it to you. I find it interesting the number of people who do not know what fitbits or things like that are.

Well today is my short day at work I get off at 3 instead of 6. So plan to get home and get the newsletter out for this month CMA and get cards made for this month. I am behind and then I think I need to get serious about Christmas shopping. We have 27 grand children and I have a small start. I just don't like doing to much before Thanksgiving as feel that holiday gets pushed aside the way it is. Last Saturday I got a letter from our town newspaper saying they are going to charge us $3.50 more this month for the paper because of all the ads coming out on Thanksgiving day for black Friday shopping. Well I called them and asked what is going on as all those business pay for those ads.They told me they want to deliver a paper to every house in town and that was the way to cover the cost. I told them I was not paying that, if they want the paper they can buy one and they can charge them $3.50. So they told me they would opp me out. So then I said does that mean I will not get the ads and he said no I would get them just not be charged the extra. First of all I work Thanksgiving so I will read the paper there, but I feel for all those older people and people on fixed incomes that will pay that extra as think they have no choice. Thanks for listening.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 6, what I am thankful for. Well today my MS decided to rear it's ugly head in the form of fatigue. That's usually what happens with my MS now. So you are asking what in the world that has anything to do with what I am thankful for. I am thankful for my MS! Yes, thankful for MS. When I was working I lived and breathed nursing, every day, every hour. The hospital where I worked had an hourly wage plan called career ladder. Everyone was on the first rung of the ladder and you could make your way up the the 4th rung by hospital wide and unit committee work, community volunteer, educational programs and then of course your performance score in your actual work. I was a level 4 for many years. There weren't a whole lot of us. So I remained top of scale pay wise. But my husband, children and God came in last place in my life. We just sort of passed each other at some time of the day. I was diagnosed when I was still working and continues to work for over 2 years with MS. It was tough but worth it because of that elusive level 4 along with the good pay. So when I had the relapse that took me off work I had to find myself again. My youngest daughter was a senior in high school and doing the whole college search thing. So I was able to do that with her, from a wheel chair but with her. My two daughters weddings and all the planning, yep, I was able to do it. I was able to be with my oldest daughter when both my grand kids were born and then stay with her a full week. I could not have done this if I were working. Both my Mom and my MIL had many medical challenges I was able to help with and assist in the care. I didn't have to schedule everything around my work days. And then my husband! We were empty nesters and got to know each other again. So on this day that I don't have a spring in my step at all, I say thank you for my MS. You kicked me in my butt to show me where my priorities needed to be.

I couldn't imagine losing that little tiny fitbit. It is so small, no one would find it. It made me mad enough that I don't have the clip since my cat destroyed it. But it fits in my bra or pocket. I am thankful for its sleep tracker and I can see what is happening at night. I'm not sure what to do about the info but it's nice to have it.

Well tonight I have my last meal of regular foods before I have to go on this one week of low residue/fiber as prep for the colonoscopy. So I made sure I had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch since it's the crunchy type. I refuse to go out and buy a small jar of creamy peanut butter just for one or two sandwiches.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Joyce, your writing about being grateful for MS reminded me of a story I read about a woman who said that she was grateful when she was diagnosed with breast cancer because it allowed her to say No to all the people who asked her to volunteer for things she didn't want to do.

:flowerforyou: Right now, instead of being on a long long walk with the dogs, I am sitting peacefully at the computer with the heating pad on my back being in the presence of my Vitamin F community......I am grateful for all of you in my life.

:heart: Barbie

2506167m2q75z4kbu.gif
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This has been such a frustrating day. I had an adjuct quit last night because her husband is seriously ill and the whole day was consumed with finding a replacement. My boss kept asking me to do it and I kept saying no way. I am not familiar with that unit at all and I’m a trauma nurse, not an ICU nurse. Even though I did the ICU at another hospital, I spent 2 days there last year and this year working with the staff so I was very familiar. I am doing clinical tomorrow, but it is an orientation day. My boss is doing Friday and we have someone for Monday, but then that’s it. I simply can’t do it and run this course. That’s why I have been begging for years to not do clinical! Plus I have to get my spring classes ready and if I’m teaching 2 days and doing 3 more days of clinical….you get the picture.

Barbie: isn’t it interesting what you find out during forced rest and contemplation?

Heather: how funny; I have the same thoughts about your posts! I love to hear about your daily life across the pond as they say!

Grandmallie: the good news is every day is a new beginning and chance to start over! You can do this!

Katla: size 8 pants! Hooray! I haven’t been a size 8 since my first birthday LOL

Jane Martin: enjoy that cooler weather!

Suzy: Im so sorry that you lost your fitbit. I can see how that would drain your motivation. I love the little thing!

Vicki: do you get the Omaha world herald or the GI paper? The world herald is also charging an extra 2.75 for the Thanksgiving paper. Good grief. They must make tons on the ads.

Well there aren’t too many posts to respond to tonight. I’m heading off to the elliptical (bleh) and then paying bills (double bleh) and making a grocery list (triple super duper bleh). Take care my friends. Meg from chilly Omaha
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The heart appointment went well. I like the new doctor, and they agreed to do the procedure up there. It will be next Friday. Hubby will take the day off from work and drive me up there. I will be in overnight, so he will stay at a motel and bring me home on Saturday. He's happier with it done up there. The dogs will have to be boarded and we won't get them home till that Sunday. I know that it's better at a bigger hospital, but I wish it was closer.

I didn't sleep well last night, so I was pretty tired when I got home. I did manage to stop at Trader Joes and Petsmart before I left the big city, but there were other things I skipped.

I hope everybody is having a great evening.

Sylvia
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Rough day, I woke with a migraine. I'm pale to begin with but this morning I swear I was the colour of . I had to go to work because our shop worker is on vacation and the boss needed to go out on the road so someone had to be in the office. At least with the boss out I could turn off the lights. I took cold packs with me to work.

I tried going to the Y and did about 40 min of strength training but then it got the better of me so I'm home now. I'm heading to bed where my room is dark.

You are all in my thoughts & prayers of thing of you all daily. You motivate me...thanks

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Meg- Hope they get everything straightened out. I can't imagine how you could add in anything more to your daily routine!!

Sylvia- Glad it went well today and that your DH will be able to go with you for the procedure. I think you were very brave to drive yourself as it is! I don't like to drive to places I have never been. Too directionally challenged! I will however drive to NC to see my daughter at Duke. I guess for me it all depends on the motivation. My DH spoils me terribly by going with me to just about any appointment I need to keep. Almost 30 years ago he had a very easily treated lymphoma that required many, many appointments. I was able to take off from work and go with him for almost all of them.

Sandy- You are amazing! I got migraines for a short period of time when my children were very little. They were so debilitating! I don't know how you can go to work and to the Y to work out. You are a very strong person. Hope you feel better fast.

I am off for the annual math conference for 3 days.It is always a great time with old friends and so much new info that my brain explodes! I packed healthy choices for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. We will eat out each evening, but will try hard to make good choices. I will get a lot of walking in, but probably no real exercise. I am not taking my computer, so will check in when I get back.

Stay healthy!

Deb A in CNY
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Adding my voice to the chorus of thanks, I’m grateful for my health. I’m free of any medications, and except for a couple of achy points, I’m feeling strong and energetic. Just loving life and all the wonderful people on this journey with me…all of you!

Michele: Yes, I want to cut back on artificial sweeteners including Nectresse and Splenda. I’ve never liked Stevia. I only use them in tea (oolong, green, Darjeeling Earl Grey), but with the weather getting chillier, I drink much more tea. Thank you Barbie and Katla for your suggestions.

Tina: Your chicken pizza recipe intrigues me. I’m not much of a cook, but I might give this a try.

Liz: Sending you a virtual (((hug))).

Katla: Bravo to you for meeting with a trainer to tweak your machine settings. You’ll find a way to make this a lifestyle. Big congrats on being a size 8!!!

Heather: How do you make your yougurt? Do you use a machine? Does it work with soy or almond milk?

Grandmallie: Forgive yourself. You’ve hit a rough patch, and you are already pulling out of it. Proud of you.

Sandy: Great news about your ex agreeing to pay ½. Hope the entire process is fast and easy. Sending you healing thoughts and a cyber-compress for that nasty migraine.

Renny: Happy dance on the news about grandbaby #2.

Vicki: It must be such a blessing to be a great-grandmother. Your dgd is lucky to have your support.

Suzy: Have a glorious time on the cruise. Hope your fit bit is returned to you soon. It’s got your energy all over it, so I’m sure it will find it’s way back to you.

Joyce: A friend of mine, a hardworking non-profit executive in her 40’s just got diagnosed with MS. May I share your inspiring story with her?

Meg: Your job sounds insanely stressful. Take care.

Sylvia: Glad to hear your medical consult went well. Trader Joes is a nice reward for your long travel and overnight discomfort.

Deb: A math conference…that’s a new one for me. Have fun!

Stay well,

Rori in the Colorado foothills

November goals:
     Body weight strength training 3x per week. Keep up with personal trainer.
     When in doubt, choose vegetables (borrowing this from The Happiness Project)
     Reduce use of artificial sweeteners (Nectresse) in my tea.
     Increase consumption of plain water to 70 oz a day
    1724911elfm6lz0zu.gif
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Day 6: I am thankful to finally be home after a long, long day. I am also thankful for the man at the hair salon who was washing cars. I got my car washed inside and out for $30 while I was getting a root touch up and highlights. My car needed cleaning almost as bad as my gray needed covering.

I tried to fix my brother's printer only to discover after an hour that it apparently has comparability issues with windows 8. Then I spent another unsuccessful hour with customer service (really lack of customer service) with his internet provider. Had to give up on that one since the business division closed down at 7:00. Then I went to three different stores looking for a particular calculator for the girl I mentor, again unsuccessful.

I didn't get home until 8 so couldn't walk since it was dark. I'll go twice tomorrow. I'm still 7 calories under for the day, so I guess all is well. I do have a pretty, clean car and a new haircut for tomorrow.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'll be back tomorrow to catch up.
    Sue in TX
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful that I have a job that pays me enough to be able to do things like hire a trainer and join a gym, which I did today. I can't sustain paying for a trainer, but thank God it was the catalyst to get my motivation jump started!!!

Today the eating wasn't perfect...but wasn't awful either. Need to up the water...

Yall are all awesome!!!

Tammy
  • Katla49
    Options
    DH and I went to the fitness center today and worked out. Yay! :bigsmile: I’m glad he was willing to go. I did my exercises and he did his. None of mine count toward burning calories here on the site, so I just feel virtuous and didn’t earn any extra food for my efforts. If I spend more time riding their exercise bike I could earn some treats, though. Next time I’ll remember. Or not. :laugh: Have a great evening.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are amazing and wise. Some things good have come from DH’s MS, too, but I’m not quite able to be grateful for it yet. :noway: I am grateful for his current doctor, and the medicine that is actually helping, (but not for the SOB who diagnosed him), for the fact that it pushed me to retire earlier than I’d planned, and for the time we’ve had together the past couple of years.:love::bigsmile:

Barbie: You’re there for us when we need you. It is a privilege to be there for you today.:flowerforyou:

Meg: It is a smart woman who knows her limits. I hope your boss will respect them.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m so happy that you have a treatment plan and are feeling good about the doctor. If you made it to Trader Joes and Petsmart, you probably got the important things. :flowerforyou:

Sandy: I am so sorry about your migraine. I’ve only had one, and it was more than enough. My son was a toddler and got hurt at the babysitter's place when I was at work. It was over thirty years ago and I remember it well. I never want another.:noway:

Deb in CNY: Have fun at your math conference.:flowerforyou:

Rori: I will use sugar before I’ll use artificial sweeteners—except in my coke. I know I’m weak. Thanks for the congratulations. I keep wondering why I’m not suffering in order to achieve this weight loss. MFP is a miracle. :bigsmile: One of our local stores carries soy yogurt made by the folks who make Silk. It is good but is always flavored. I don’t think they make a plain one you could cook with. I wish they did.:flowerforyou:

Dr Katie: I’m sorry you had one of “those” days. I hope tomorrow is better.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump

Gail, metro ATL
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga today then an hour of the deep water. We have bowling this afternoon. Got my carrots and grapes ready along with my Bubba mug of water (54oz). Tomorrow I'm planning to do a Jari Love Ripped to the Core DVD

barbie - that's wonderful that you got your water back in such a short period of time

Well, Vince called the guy who owns the franchise that installed the pool. He said that no, the concrete didn't harden around the railings (thank goodness). He said that it's the salt that corrodes the railings somewhat. So what he suggested is that we put WD40 in the hole where the railing goes in, we may have to do it a few times, then tap the bolt that holds the railing in place. Well, Vince did that yesterday and it worked!!! Now we just have to put the cover on the pool. Friday is supposed to be a pretty nice day, but there is some sort of Train show open only to members on that day so Vince was talking about going. I'm registered for the healthy cooking demo, but if I don't go it's no big loss. Jessica talked about coming down here since she has Monday off (working for NIH she has Veteran's Day off). We were going to go up there, not sure what's going to happen now. The following weekend I need to be here to lector at the church and the following weekend Jessica is coming down to see the TSO concert. Update: she should be here this weekend

Doing a load of laundry right now. I really should have put it in the washer this a.m. before I left. Hope it dries before we leave for bowling. If not, I'll have to run the dryer again when we get home.

katla - what a wonderful NSV! why didn't the exercise you did count towards buying more calories?

Vince just told me that he's almost out of milk so after bowling we'll stop at Sam's and get milk. After the Y I stopped at Food Lion to get some more almond milk and they're the only one who carries the True Lemon so I got more of that. It comes in such a big box but there's hardly any in the box.

Suzy in DE - <passing the tissues after using one herself>

Vicki - good for you calling about being charged for the ads. It's interesting that you're still going to get them. I'm not that old (at least I don't consider myself old) but Sam's club sent me a credit card. I really didn't want it but thought "gee, they must have Discover doing the paper work for them" so I activated the card. Come to find out that I didn't need to, my old Sam's club card would have worked just fine. Now I can't go back and redo it. It's just annoying, why did they send me a card when I didn't want it and didn't request it? No where on the paperwork was there mention of the fact that I didn't have to accept the card.

Joyce - you have an amazing way of looking at your MS and being thankful for it. Thanks so much for sharing that with us all.

Sylvia - so glad the appt went well. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for next Friday.

Sandy - I'm so sorry you woke with a migraine. Take care of yourself

Tammy - yea for you getting a trainer. You're right, sometimes that's what you need, so the money is well spent

Michele in NC
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :embarassed: Hi sorry I've been MIA most of the year, but here we are in November and I am heavier than I have been for a long time.

:ohwell: Need to get back to logging food and exercising and getting support and motivation from my dear mfps.

:heart: love and best wishes to you all :heart:

Viv aka wizzywig in York UK