WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Marty, and i was just wondering if anyone on this Topic has CHF? i am having a hard time trying to eat without salt, anyone else have this problem?

:laugh: don't look at my diary for today, but usually I keep my sodium below 1600 mg by staying away from processed foods, cheese, baked goods, pasta and never add salt to anything.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    . Would anyone wanna start a group of WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER?
    Bebubble
    :flowerforyou: this thread has been going on for many years as a thread, not a group and we had a discussion about whether we wanted to be a group and the answer was "No".

:flowerforyou: I hope you'll become part of our friendly community.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Popping in to say hello and wish all who need it warm thoughts and wishes for your good health. Seems we have more folks than usual under the weather or ice packs. I’m recovering from a mild groin pull sustained while getting out of a rental car in Sioux City (Sue, I waved to you :wink: . Missed a week of workouts, but now slowly getting back into my routine. Tiger balm was very therapeutic for this injury.

Accounting for Oct goals:
     Cardio with intervals as prescribed by Rose 4x per week --- DONE
     Body weight strength training routine 3x per week --- ALMOST. 2X a week was my average
     Leg stretches every day --- DONE.
     Hit my daily protein and fiber goals 4x per week --- LOL! I can do this while home, but with restaurant meals 12-15 days a month, not happening. :explode:

Nov goals:
     Body weight strength training 3x per week. Keep up with personal trainer.
     When in doubt, choose vegetables (borrowing this from The Happiness Project)
     Reduce use of artificial sweeteners (Nectresse) in my tea.
     Increase consumption of plain water to 70 oz a day

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado foothills
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, hope everyone had a Nice Monday, mine went actually pretty well. Raining in Florida this morning and have a 200 mile travel day today and 12 stores to get in and out of, but that will help me walk a little faster to burn a few more calories so there is the blessing in the rain. :happy:

:smile: Grandmallie--Very nice Family Picture.

:smile: PeabodyGirl--Welcome

:smile: Katla--Thank you, I am a very high stress person, thus the weight gain, stress eating, trying to break that habit. I like holding a book too, and even tho I would trade them in at bookstore, my husband didn't like them piled in the bedroom til I could get around to doing it. :smile:

:smile: Anamika--So Awesome you cook from scratch, wish I had the time, I try on occasion. :tongue:

:smile: Katymc--Welcome

:smile: Sylvia--Prayers for you and your Family. Not sure why someone would do such things. :brokenheart:

:smile: Barbie--Pizza Chicken--Boneless chicken breast,pounded flat if thick. Salt,pepper,garlic powder and Italian seasoning to taste. 1 tablespoon pizza sauce (I use DeFrateli, very good) 4 slices pepperoni, 1tsp butter or oil, 2 fresh mushrooms, sliced, 2 thin green pepper rings, 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded. Season the chicken with salt and other seasonings, grill, meanwhile saute the mushrooms and pepper rings in butter or oil until slightly tender, but not mushy, set aside. Spread the sauce over the chicken, then top with the pepperoni, the pepper rings, mushrooms and then finally the cheese. Sprinkle with a little additional Italian seasoning if desired. Bake at 350 about 10-15 minutes or until hot and the cheese is melted. Serve at once. Makes 1 serving. 310 calories, 16g fat, 36g protein, 3g carbs 1g dietary fiber, 2g net carbs. There is a simplified method(which is one I used) made the veggies crunchy which I prefer. Simplified method Flatten the chicken breast slightly. if necessary to make it an even thickness all over. Season with salt,pepper,garlic powder and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce over the top of the chicken then top with the pepperoni, raw mushrooms and green pepper rings. Sprinkle the veggies with a little more salt if you like. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes then top with mozzarella cheese. Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is done to your liking. :bigsmile:

:smile: Michele--Thank you for telling about the CC chicken. I hope that works for your Brownies. Where r u in NC?

:smile: Huntndox--Welcome

:smile: Joyce--Your cat sounds like Houdini :laugh:

:smile: YannieJannie--What is Cinnamon butter squash?

:smile: Pat (Phoo) --Sounds like an exciting day. What r u going to make with Gnocchi?

:smile: Bonnie--Welcome

:smile: Deb in NTX--Welcome

:smile: Marty--My Dad has CHF, I cook all his meals for the month then freeze them, I use fresh everything, and Mrs. Dash, pepper to season, brown rices, and nothing out of a box or can. Before I did this, he would be in the hospital at least every 3 months, and we almost lost him twice it was so bad, this is a lot of work and planning, but worth every minute of it, he has not been in the hospital but twice in 3 years (which is the nature of this disease) but all his numbers and everything are perfect.
    And my Dad is one of the most important people I have in my life (such a Daddy's Girl):love::love: , I want him around for a long time.

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day. :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bit late to this but been on holiday. Scotland is amazingly beautiful.

Targets for November:

Drink 2 litres water a day.
    Exercise with chair lady 4x a week.
    Dance class every Thursday.
    Cycle 2x a week.
    Stay under 50g carbs a day.

Vamps UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Day 5: I am so incredibly thankful for this spiritual journey I have begun as my preparation for Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas. If you will indulge me yet again, I'll share a couple more things that continue to inspire me. One verse in yesterday's reading was Psalm 63:5 "my soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods." Then this morning, in my reading of the 5th chapter of "A Woman's High Calling," the quality of focus was personal discipline and temperance in all areas of life.

Every single day something jumps out at me to inspire me to do the right thing. Dave's candy dish remains untouched as does the diet soda.

It's only one week in, but I am feeling so much less helpless than I was before.
  • katymc226
    katymc226 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for making me feel so welcome, well first day went over by 70 calories, darn 'em for bringing chocs in the office, but at least it is only 70 over and not the xxxxxx calories previously consumed..lol

I am from Lancashire in England, and am aiming for the weight loss as flying out to New York next August for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and don't want to be as uncomfortable in the seat as I was four years ago when we went to Washington DC.

Glad you like the picture, unfortunately, the cat is now chasing mice in the sky but he was a wonderful pet in his 18 years on Earth.

Katy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    I have to change things up so tomorrow I am going to try weights, the darn scale wont budge.. trying to stay within my calories, but am always hungry, try and snack on the right things(mostly)
    will try try and do better...
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi All;
    It is already the 5th :noway: ..time is flying by...having a *miss my sister* week..but I thank God for the time I had with her....my other sisters (2)..live in another place and I do not see my oldest cause she lives in Ontario...the other lives an hour and a half away....I do not get there as much as much as I would like to... but she comes here to Halifax quite often..so I pray she will stop in one day...I know her life is busy...
    There is a LOT of pie making going on....getting ready for your TGD..it is a special time of going over your year and being thankful for things that have made you happy ..Thank God for the richness (not just $$) that has came into your life...the days when you have had so much happiness that it brings tears to your eyes.....to look at the *positive things* in your life/ family....or the loss of a family or friend..think over the times you had with them...sometimes we get bogged down by something that has made our lives a great trial....having health issues......what ever it is...All the wonderful Ladies in this group are here for us....can sooth us..help us thru a rough time..I know when I lost my sweet S..there was so much love and compassion sent my way....I thank God for this extra special group of ladies..for the new ones that just joined..you will see this in your life also..:heart:

Robin...the little ones in the picture are so sweet

Sylvia...I am so sorry the tests on your heart was not good news..Will keep you in my prayers...

DrkKatieBug.....Good for you for going on this fasting and spiritual journey...would love to try the fasting but my DH watches what I eat and if he thinks it isn't enough....he gets upset.....this started at a time when I was Anorexic...so trying that and even wanting to lose weight is a battle in a couple of ways...Have a great journey!!!

Renny...I am so sorry your back is causing you grief..I hope it gets better!!

Joyce...Your kitty has expensive tastes...passing that will give her some troubles :noway: ....Cannot get angry with her..they look up at you so innocently...so sweet....that is so sweet that your kitty came up where you were and told you her story of being shut in that drk room....need a kat whisperer......

CJ.& Bonnie..Welcome to the group!!!

Must go make my iced tea........ I wish ALL of you a Very Happy Thanksgiving with Family & Friends!!!

Liz fr Halifax NS
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning again,
    I am thankful for a much better and healthy lifestyle, I feel so much better than I did this time last year, I am so very grateful for my health and the health of my children,Husband and father, I am truly blessed..
    I may not be rich with money, but I have so much more.. I have wonderful friends and family both near and far, I have a wonderful husband 2 puppies that I adore and a home in florida..
    I am blessed with a good job ,granted not enough hrs,but we are getting by,
    will try and make it a healthy thanksgiving for the gentleman I will serve...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Goal number two this month is focus on fitness, so yesterday I went into the gym and signed us back up. The PT there retaught me how to use all of the machines. I skipped one, and discovered I’d been doing some others incorrectly, which likely accounts for the back pain that I experienced the last time I was going there. :ohwell: Now I need to be consistent with this. I hope I’ll be able to get DH to come with me the next time I go. He wasn’t feeling well yesterday. This morning I have yoga. Yay!:bigsmile:

Yanniejannie: I roasted Brussels sprouts for the first time last night at DH’s request. I wanted to boil them. They turned out well. The idea of roasted orange Brussels sprouts is appealing. I’d like to hear more about them. I love your attitude of gratitude and counting your blessings.:heart::flowerforyou:

Rori: You are amazing. I admire your ability to stay focused on good health despite a challenging travel schedule.:flowerforyou:

Tina in FL: The pizza chicken recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:

Vamps UK: Welcome or welcome back. If you’ve posted before I missed it. Sorry about that.:blushing:

Katy: Treats at work helped me put on the pounds. When tired and stressed, I don’t seem to have much “won’t power.” (As in, “Sure, I will have some. Thanks.” Oops.):ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Liz: I’m sure the first year without your sister is going to be challenging. She was so lucky to have your love and support. I envision her as a Guardian Angel looking down from Heaven and sending you her love.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Grandmalle, try to up your protein and water. See if that helps with the hunger. Tons and tons of lettuce also seems to help if you want to try a huge salad.

I have discovered a new salad dressing that I love. It is Brianna's French Vinaigrette. It is olive oil, vinegar and spices, but no sugar, corn syrup or artificial sweetener. It is 80 calories per tablespoon but your salad has nearly none and you won't want more than half a tablespoon on a small salad, a tablespoon on a medium, and two on a large salad. My new favorite lunch is the veggie lovers bag salad, grilled chicken, this dressing, and seasoned rye crisp crackers. The crackers are 25 calories each. I usually have 3.

Liz, not to worry. I still eat at least 1200 calories a day, sometimes 1400. I agree with you though, that I would stay away from a cleanse if I had binge/purge issues. One should be able to cleanse naturally by eating healthy. My problem was that I wasn't eating healthy. I needed the structure of a strict regime to get me back on track.

I am still fantasizing about when I can actually have a Diet Dr. pepper again. I'm hoping the craving will go away. We'll see!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great place to meet women in my age group and lots of grandma's!!! I recently returned to MFP and am hoping that this time... with perserverance, compassion, patience, determination, that I will be successful!!!

November goals:

Keep recording!
    Drink more water!!!
    Walk the dog on days I'm not training...
    Lose 10 lbs

We can do this!!!!
    Tammy from Oklahoma
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Tammy - what part of Oklahoma are you in? I'm about 30 miles north of Miami, OK.

To whoever asked about low salt, BOY is it hard! I'm doing it because of heart disease and high blood pressure. I bought a American Heart Association cookbook which has helped a lot. I have learned to love Mrs Dash. I have learned to read labels on foods, and have found some very low salt alternatives. I learned to bake bread without salt, or just a tiny bit. I learned that even raw meats usually contain salt solution, but found a store that sells meat with no solution added. But it took a long time before I thought things tasted good without salt. Even after 6 months I miss it. I have to cook two meals most of the time, one for hubby with salt and one for me without. We don't go out to eat as often, and then I usually get salad. I've never used salad dressing anyway, so didn't have to give that up. I found that if you ask, they will usually prepare food with no salt added. One local place will even use the Mrs Dash that I bring in my purse. One of my favorite discoveries is that Hershey's chocolate is low sodium!

All this talk of kitties reminds me of a cat I had once who could crawl UNDER the door. He somehow mashed his head down small enough to fit. I always thought he had brain damage from doing that - he was a strange cat - but he was sweet. I miss having a cat.

This is going to be a strange couple of days. I'm driving to Kansas City by myself, staying overnight, and going to my heart appointment in the morning. I'm not used to sleeping by myself. Don't know if I can do it. Hubby has a heavy load of classes on Wednesday so I have to go alone. No doggies either. My fear is that I won't remember to ask enough questions or won't remember the answers, I'll have to make a list. My chest feels tight today and it feels like my heart is doing somersaults. Probably just nerves. I was reading about this new doctor online and he seems to be some kind of rock star in the medical profession. The heart cath center is even named for him! Somehow that makes me feel better. Hopefully I won't get shuffled off to an underling. While in KC I am going to Trader Joes. We don't have them here. So that will be fun.

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, make a written list of questions before you go, and then take notes about the answers. It will give you a format and the ability to retain both what you want to know and what you are told. You could even make two copies and give one to the doctor. The last question on the list should be "What else do I need to know." Good luck to you. I'd be nervous, too.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed my yoga this morning. I'm trying to arrange to meet my yoga friend in town next week, perhaps for a slimming meal or a walk around.

This pm we went to the local shopping mall to exchange my soda stream cylinder. Bought some crime fiction as well. Then I saw some tokens on sale, one of them giving a cut to a diabetic charity, so I bought them for Christmas presents for my DB and my DSIL. So that's done at least! (My DB is diabetic so I though it was a nice touch.)

My best friend in London has had a regrowth of her cancer tumours and has got to try a new drug. Apparently it has the side effect of increasing appetite! ! ! ! We discussed ways of eating less calorific food that still satisfies! Her good news is that she will become a granny by next May. It was nice to chat even if only on the phone. She has only been down here once since I moved here, but I do get to see her sometimes up in London.

Guinea fowl tonight for dinner. There are always lovely left overs for the next day. And I must make some more yoghourt.
    I will do it now!

Love to all. Heather UK
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sylvia you can do it...... u are not alone, physically maybe, but we r right beside u......make a list of questions, whatever strikes u , no question is too trivial and u need all the answers right?
    sending u prayers and hugs
    Tazgirl..... I'm impressed with all the pains u take for cooking for your father.....just make a little more for yourself too :)
    I keep my meals as simple as possible..... have no time for much entertaining at home these days and so all the fancy cooking is on hold.
    Grandmallie u work so hard and are so generous..... u inspire me
    Best wishes to all here
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Tues.
    Welcome to the new ladies.
    Sylvia,praying for u.
    Hugs to you all
    Jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 5th, what I am thankful for. Well there was no thinking about what I would be thankful for today. Today is my 1 year anniversary here on MFP!!!!. I don't know when it was that I joined this forum but it was everything that MFP has to offer that started on this journey. There is so much support from so many people that you would never think to ask. I can pre-plan my meals in the morning and know that it is limited to those foods and those only. It gives me help in knowing how many calories burned at the Y. I can take one of my recipe and just type it in and find out what I have eaten :noway: and then tweek it in a way that I can eat it. Then the people I have met. No words to describe that. The wisdom, support and guidance I have found in this forum is priceless. It has helped me reflect on myself and find why I am obese. Now reversing that has to come from myself but I know I have the support of you all to get me on track. I could go on and on but I won't. This is an individual journey that we have to go on ourselves, it just that we have the pleasure of having wonderful company walking beside us who are on their own journeys. So again, thank you MFP for being here for me. You brought me many friends.

Joyce, Indiana
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Having a good day after a bumpy night. Got a call from Alert One after midnight, my sister fell getting up to go to bathroom. She's okay, just couldn't get up. Ambulance came and got her back up to her recliner. I went over and stayed with her the rest of the night. She is supposed to have an aide with her but she didn't show last night and no one left me know. My sister has Multiple Sclerosis and wants to stay at home rather than go to a nursing home. So when her husband works nights, we have an aide stay with her.

I got in some exercise this morning with Leslie Sansone, but it looks nice out this afternoon so I might venture out for a walk. I'll just have to bundle up a little. Probably just have left overs for supper tonight, don't feel like cooking today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, take care,

JB from PA