WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Ladies!

I will admit that I have only skimmed through the last three days of posts, because I just needed to get to this reply box and tell you all how good it feels to log in and see so many smiling, positive faces. You really do all feel like friends, and I do miss you when I am not able to get onto the site for a day or two.

I have been alternating between excitement and terror about going back to MN on Thanksgiving Day. I really do need to hug my son, my niece and my family and friends. I Really, Really, Really need to hug my Bill. This being away from each other for 6 months or so at a time just isn't much fun. But, the terror comes in because I don't want to be cold, I don't want to deal with drama of family stuff, and I don't know what I am going to do to try to stay on track with food. So, the roller coaster will just continue until I get there, Bill hugs me, and I just then take it one step, one meal, one visit & event at a time. Thanks for listening.

It seems like lots of ladies on the board are having severe health problems. Cath labs, stents, horrible leg pains, depression, ... may we all find good health, love and happiness as we approach a new week. My ankle and leg are still giving me fits, but, I am still moving so I will be OK.

For November:
    Continue to use this site- log in daily and record every bite I eat.
    continue to attend OA
    continue to do my morning readings, journaling and prayers.

For Sunday night- Everyone have sweet dreams!

Pat (Phoo in Az)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I would think the crumbly brownies would go well over ice cream too. But Vince has such pickey pickey pickey tastes, I'm not even going to try giving them to him. I had some of the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, I didn't tell him there was pumpkin in them (you can't taste it). He refused to eat them because there is oatmeal in it (not that you can taste it).

Susan - my heart bleeds for your dad. You are such a great daughter!

Rode on the recumbant bike today for an hour. Vince got one a while ago to help his knee. He hasn't used it in a while. Then went to church, came home and we continued to work on closing the pool. We got stopped because we couldn't lift the railings out of the concrete. I'm just hoping that they didn't put them in while the concrete was still somewhat unset further down. It might have been set on the top but not further down. Anyway, Vince is going to call the co. that installed the pool. I guess they're going to have to make it right if that is the problem because what would they do if someone wanted to get a new railing?. Well, we shall see what will happen.

Tomorrow is yoga, holding my plank and then the extremepump class.

jb - wonderful poem!!!! You are so creative!

Susan (smwert) - I have fibroadinomas. when I was in my 20's, I had so many operations that finally the MD said he wasn't going to operate any more because they were always fibroadimomas. Good luck to you

I can't help it, I was thinking about Bryan today in church after lighting the candle for him (and one for the girls), I started crying. Fortunately, these "episodes" don't seem to happen very often. I just fail to comprehend what's going on. Why won't he even talk to me? Am I that terrible a person? I finally threw the bra that I wore to his wedding into the Salvation Army box, every time I put it on it just reminds me that I'll never see him again.

Healther - you are so lucky to live so close to the real Downtown Abbey. It's nice to know that DA is a real place and not just a place in Hollywood (or England's version of it)

jb from PA - welcome! That first number being a "2" is just awesome. What part of PA are you in? Come back often

Joyce - your husband has a wonderful outlook. I sometimes think that part of the sky high divorce rate is because people don't take the "in sickness and in health" part seriously. Oh, I know that there are other reasons for divorce. As much as I complain about Vince, I'm thankful for him, too. He is very detail oriented, like when we were putting down the riverrock, he was the person who was thinking "where should I put it next, what is the next logical thing to do". yes, sometimes he's a bit compulsive, makes spreadsheets for everything (yes, there was one for things that needed to be done to close the pool), but in some ways that's a good thing, as he thought of something he wrote it down so he didn't forget about it.

Made this cola chicken to have later in the week. Sounds interesting.

Sylvia - great "dinner". Really, just one piece of bacon isn't all that high in calories. Not sure of the fat. Then again, if you're the type of person who can't have just one taste, then kudos to you for not having any

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place.:flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Michelle- my Tom sounds like your Vince,very detail oriented...our furnace guy calls him Anal with a capital A .lol
    went to the gym Saterday and Sunday, think I will walk today instead,
    have had my lemon water and iced my heel.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I have been reading all of the posts, but haven't had time or energy to reply. Dr. has put me on a low dose med to help me turn my sleep issues around. Seems to help some and will be a temporary aid to try to get my body back to better sleep habits. No sleep and teaching pre-calc don't mix well! This old brain can't be fuzzy when trying to anticipate the questions my students will come up with!

It sounds like everyone handled Halloween well. We don't get any little ones here, so no problems.

Sylvia- Hope all goes well for you.

Jane- Sounds like you are doing great!! Congrats!!

I started tracking my food again yesterday. I have been so busy with work and family, that I stopped making me a priority. I thought I was doing okay with the food, but not getting enough exercise. The scales are not my friend right now, but even more disturbing is the way I feel- bloated, sluggish.... Time to turn things around!!

Meg- hope your life slows down a little now that clinical is done.

jb- Loved the poem. You are so good at expressing yourself!!

grandmallie-How much lemon do you put in your water? Anything else?

Need to get going. Hoping to get a short walk in before work.

Deb A in CNY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Uuurrgh! Just a quick pop in to say I had a little slip up last night. In the evening when I was tired I came across a very small tin of turkish delight that DH had given me in my stocking last Christmas and I had put away in my drawer. Oooops! Ate it, didn't I.!:frown: :embarassed: And I'm the one who always says I haven't got a sweet tooth!
    It was delicious. :ohwell: I reckon that took me 200 over my daily limit, but not over my TDEE so it's not a disaster. But I did surprise myself the way I fell on it like a starving woman! ! ! ! ! ! :laugh:
    Be back later.
    Contrite Heather UK
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning Everyone. I lost 2lbs, YIPPEE YAHOO!!!!!!:bigsmile: Very busy weekend, I am making purses and blankets for everyone for Christmas, I did accomplish quite a bit. I found some really great recipes this weekend Diabetic and Carb friendly. My Hubby says I am making him into a guinea pig, but he eats it all and sometimes seconds, Pizza Chicken was his favorite, he would like to have that again please. :laugh: Our Anniversary is on Thursday, so I will make him a Steak and Potatos (his all time favorite). :love:

Things will be very busy this week, but our Pastor said in Church yesterday when you are getting stressed, stop for a moment and ask yourself why your letting this get to you. God brought you thru all of your trials & stresses this far, He will bring your thru the ones yet to come. So this is going to be my Goal for November (besides being Thankful for all I am Blessed with) to remember that God will bring me thru this no matter how small or how big. :love:

:happy: Deb and Peggy---Welcome, the Ladies on here are Wonderful.

:happy: Meg--Glad you can finally slow down. I found a Web Site Diabetic Living, they have some wonderful recipes I made 2 this weekend, pretty easy and tasty.

:happy: Vickie--Sorry for your contractors problems, hope it all works out.

:happy: JB--Love the poem.

:happy: Sue--Sorry for your DD break in--Scary

:happy: Michele--We are going to Culawhee, we leave Tue the 26th and come back Sat the 30th, She called last night and said it was 26 up there,(that is to cold for a Florida Girl) :laugh: My Hubby would take brownies any way I would make them, he really is a junk food junkie, but never gains a pound. :grumble: What is Coca Cola Chicken?

:happy: Joyce--Your Hubby sounds like a good man. Will say a prayer for your procedures to go well.

:happy: Katla--I have not read her latest, I used to read 1 book a week, my Hubby bought me a Kindle for Christmas a couple years back because their were so many books piled in our bedroom, but I just can't seem to find the time too much anymore.

:happy: Sylvia--Prayers for your procedure.

:happy: Barbie--Your soup sounds wonderful.

:happy: Pat (Phoo)-- Hugs and Prayers that all goes well.

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day. :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida
  • hazelohoheight
    hazelohoheight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Goals for me for November:
    1. Get back into logging every day and stick to my calorie limit.
    2. Lose 8 pounds
    3. Make soups every weekend for the work week dinners
    4. Chocolate and flour strike
    5. No wine
    So far I have been successful (except for the flour....that's a killer!)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    Deb-CNY-- you are supposed to use real lemons and filtered water- I have a big ol bottle of 100% lemon juice and I put a good squirt in after I warm up a mug of water in the microwave for about a minute.. dont know how good it is for you , but (knocking on my head(wood)) I haven't been sick..
    I went for a race walk this morning, it felt good being out in the cold air, so maybe I will incorporate that into my routine, still go to the gym, but do this 2- times a week..
    have to change something up , not losing a blessed ounce lately.. ,will never give up but boy it bums you out when the scale doesnt move..
    I have been bad with the sugar, so will try and cut down on that, dont think I will ever be able to get rid of it like Barbie.. bless you. you are a true insperation:love:
    changed my profile picture~ this is when my dd and dgd were here...,from left to right,Jean my SIL,Dan my son,Tracy my daughter,Don my dad,Taliah my grandaughter, and finally my brother Sean
  • peabodygirl6
    peabodygirl6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am a first time writer and pretty new to mfp. My goals for November are to continue to lose weight, keep my diabetes in check and to push myself to exercise more. I have hip and knee issues so I have only been walking around the block two times each night. I vow to do three times starting after dinner this evening. With a trip to the orthopedic surgeon later this month, I hope to get the ok for additional exercise. Thank you all for your inspirations.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Peabody girl!

Day 4: thankful for the beautiful weather. No work today. It is our last day of fall break. Dave and I went for our 2.7 mile trek, and the weather was a beautiful 41 degrees.

I need to go give Verizon's customer service a workout this morning and see if they can resolve the issues I'm having with my phone. Then maybe I'll tackle the mess in my study. Yuk!
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA while on vacation the last 2 weeks. It was very challenging. Ready to get back on track. Have not had a chance to read all I've missed. Welcome to all the new posters.

Jenn
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.Lost 1/2 lb on son`s scale to at least we are going in the right direction now.
    Welcome back Jenn,you were missed.
    Everyone have a great mon.
    Thankful for my family.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Thanks for your compliments on my poem, I'm glad you liked it. I ended up not having a snacking problem last night, yay! Had a nice turkey dinner and several glasses of water afterwards. Maybe that's the key -- lots of water after dinner. :huh:

Barbie, mention to Jake that we could perhaps create a "Skinny Zipper" challenge and get those buggars to zip up easily once again. :bigsmile:

I've got to do some housework this morning, and by gosh and by golly I'm going to turn on the fitness channel and do some stretching and aerobics. Must start "shaking" things up! Time to switch gears and get this bod going in the right direction. Down, scale, down! :grumble:

Welcome JB in PA and everyone new. I guess it's time for me to use my real name. :laugh:

:smile: Joanie in Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is a rainy day today and I’m thinking this is a good time to get started back at the gym. I wonder if I can persuade DH to go, too. We’ll have quite a bit of this weather to deal with in the coming months, and although I love my recumbent bike in the garage, I think variety is a GOOD idea. It will surely help with the strength portion of my goals this month.:bigsmile:

Smwert: Welcome to our group. You can count on a lot of support from these wonderful women. It sounds like you are serious about taking off weight and improving your health. If you follow the MFP plan you will lose weight but it is not necessarily fast. I think that lack of speed has some good advantages for overall health and long-term success. Breast cancer is a huge health problem for women. I know of many who have gone through it and come out with their health. Some had lumpectomies, and others had mastectomies. ALL had to quit taking estrogen supplements. Good luck. :flowerforyou: Where are you from?

Drillsgt75: Welcome. You are already an amazing success at improving your own health. You’ll get lots of support here for your continuing weight loss journey. It is so much more fun when we know where people are from. We have ladies from all over the world. Please add your location to your signature.:flowerforyou:

JB from PA: Welcome!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are a treasure. I love it that you’ve started your message with gratitude. I guess you’ll have to substitute water for the pills you can’t take for now. Luckily it is a short-term situation.:flowerforyou:

Juanita in Sudbury: Stay warm! At least you’re above freezing for now. (I have a convert app on my phone. I’m grateful for it.) I’m not surprised the snow didn’t stick. We often get snow at that temperature and it melts very quickly but often makes a slushy mess. :tongue:

Pat (Phoo in AZ): I’ve been missing your posts. Good luck with your Thanksgiving plans. I’ll bet your family and SO will be happy to see you.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I love my recumbent bike. :love: DH needed one for balance issues caused by MS. It was impossible to ride together because he could go infinitely slowly, so I bought the demonstrator at the end of the season. I’m so happy I did. I have mine set up on a trainer in the garage and use it to exercise all the time. I think it’s helped me reduce the dimensions of my posterior. :embarassed: That makes it a miracle worker. :bigsmile: I’ve always had an overly generous backside whether or not I was overweight at the time. Until now. :bigsmile:

Deb A in CNY: I’m glad the medicine is helping you sleep. The beginning of a school year can be a real potboiler of stress. You don’t want to face the students while exhausted. It is sort of like not turning your back on the ocean. You need to know what is coming.:flowerforyou:

Heather: One slip won’t hurt. Habitual slipping is another matter. I’ve found myself into the Halloween candy. I’m counting the calories and staying under my limit, too. I think I’ll move it to the freezer, though. If I’m not careful, this will become a habit.:grumble:

Tina in FL: I love your Pastor’s stress message. Turning to over to the Lord is a good idea. I’ve always been a reader and also listen to audio books but haven’t been in the mood lately. My favorite authors just don’t write fast enough, and I’m waiting for some new books to appear. :laugh: I don’t like to read books on a screen so I either read a printed copy or listen to an audiobook.:flowerforyou:

Hazeloheigh: Welcome. Where are you from? Rice flour does a great job as a thickening agent for soups and stews if you’re avoiding wheat. My DGD is named Hazel & so was one of my favorite aunties.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: I love the family picture! Don’t worry about being at a plateau. You’ll get through it. Just keep on doing the right things.:flowerforyou:

Peabodygirl: Welcome. I’ve been working on a knee issue for over a year now. It is getting better and I hope yours does, too. Let us know where you’re from.:flowerforyou:

Joanie in Portland: It is nice to know your name! :bigsmile: I’m still using my invented name because I like it and because there are ten million-zillion Kathys in our age group. :ohwell:

Katla in misty NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!:flowerforyou:
    Thanks for all the Diwali wishes! I forgot to add the fireworks an important part of the celebration. In our family we went off fireworks at home since the last couple of years as I advice the students at school to do the same...... to do our bit for noise and air pollution. I was happy to note that the level of noise this year in our city is much lesser than the previous ones.
    Barbie Yes my food is quite different from many of you, but I cook at home and mostly from scratch. We eat out some times, maybe once a week, or order it in.:bigsmile:
    Katla I like a vigorous workout, but now will be trying to maximise my burn within an hour or maximum hour and half..... else I feel too tired after wards..:grumble:
    Heather I was told Yoga helps to increase height because of all the stretching....is that what is happening with u?:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Joyce, Sylvia sending you prayers , hope u will sail through your procedures :heart:
    Michelle fairy lights would be the electric lights u use to decorate Christmas trees and homes..... what do u call them?
    Yay for all those who lost pounds:flowerforyou:
    Welcome to all newcomers:smile:
    Have a great day all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • katymc226
    katymc226 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi just come back, tried out a different (paying ) site last week, it was extra if you wanted fitness and the database was not as extensive. Got really demotivated as I couldn't find things I wanted.

So I am back here, giving it another push, 15lbs back on due to back injury and lack of exercise, but got to look at it as I am still 13 lbs lighter than when I originally started.

Definitely harder past 50!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    katla49 - I am from south of Ottawa Ontario Canada I weight myself every day! does anyone else do that. I lot .6 from yesterday morning. I know that sometimes it sets you up for failure to weight every day but it helps me. I lost 1.4 in a week. so slow and steady it does

Smwert
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Smwert - I'm just east of Toronto, how far south of Ottawa are you? I have friends in that area.

Will post more tonight - busy day at work today but wanted to catch up with everyone

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Welcome to all the new ladies. I'm looking forward to getting to know you through your posts. Be sure to tell us about your pets, as lots of us here are nuts for that sort of thing.

I called this morning and got an appointment at KU Med Center. I was lucky (?) enough to get an appointment with the doctor who actually started their cardiac hospital. That could mean either he's really knowledgeable or just really old. Anyway, I'm going for a second opinion. My chest has felt tight all weekend and worse this morning. The cardiac nurse said to hold off on strenuous exercise, so no weights or swimming for now, but I can still walk. Of course sometimes walking with Bruno is more strenuous than anything I do at the gym! He was helping me on the phone making my appointment by trying to steal my pencil.

Last night the kids told us about a particularly horrible incident that happened when they lived with their mom and horrible drug dealing stepdad which involved a big pet dog and a shotgun, and I had bad nightmares last night. Those poor kids. It made me want to kill the guy myself! My son says that is just one of many, many traumatic things they are dealing with in therapy. I hope their mother rots in jail too. How could a mother do that stuff to her own kids? They are such sweet kids, too. I'm actually glad that my son is on disability so he can spend more time with them and see to their needs. I never thought emphysema could be a blessing in disguise.

Well, that's enough of that. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia