Can't run because of shin splints

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hi, looked at your dairy, and to be honest you are not going to lose weight eating Chipotle & McDonalds..If you clean up your diet and eat healthy, high protein, low sodium foods ect you will lose weight without having to worry about if you can run.. Try Spinning, or Stairmaster, weightlifting is the best way if you have leg issues, train hard & eat clean, educate yourself , the weight will come off. goodluck

Oh hai.

Looks like OP and I have combined to lose 34 times more weight than you have, so it's interesting that you tell us the way we eat is "not going to work."

lmao-o.gif
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Only read OP so I'm sorry if I missed something. You should definitely see an orthopedic doctor to find out more. Possibly get an MRI. Good shoes and properly stretching the calves should help the average person who gets shin splints. Your case doesn't sound average.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Only read OP so I'm sorry if I missed something. You should definitely see an orthopedic doctor to find out more. Possibly get an MRI. Good shoes and properly stretching the calves should help the average person who gets shin splints. Your case doesn't sound average.

Exactly.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I get these pretty bad but only from walking fast. I think it's because my foot is raised higher in the air when I'm walking fast. I hope that makes some kind of sense!

If I'm in a rush for work, then I get them really bad in my right leg.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    OK, my own experience has been that a combination of things has mitigated shin splints for me:

Shoes
    Slowing down the progression a little
    Physio

The last point comprised two aspects, alignment and muscle balance. Turns out my knee and ankle are enough out of alignment to be a challenge, so physio went some ways to reducing the impact.

Its already been observed in thread that the muscle balance on front and back of the lower leg is a factor worth looking at. For me the improvement came when I did very conscious riding with clipless pedals on the turbo. Being aware of the effort on the upstroke meant I was working the muscle on the front of the shin, resolving the strength imbalance. A similar, though less pronounced, benefit comes from the ergo.

I'm now up to about 30 km PW but any suggestion of a problem puts me back on the turbo or ergo.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hi, looked at your dairy, and to be honest you are not going to lose weight eating Chipotle & McDonalds..If you clean up your diet and eat healthy, high protein, low sodium foods ect you will lose weight without having to worry about if you can run.. Try Spinning, or Stairmaster, weightlifting is the best way if you have leg issues, train hard & eat clean, educate yourself , the weight will come off. goodluck

Interesting post. I do lift heavy, and I don't skip leg days. And I've lost 41lbs in less than a year while significantly increasing my strength. I'm also very educated, and the weight has been coming off. But thank you.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Just curious why we are still here?
  • RECowgill
    Options

No good reason. As usual, despite my best intentions, yet another thread degenerated into stupid. And as usual I'm at least partially responsible. I apologize to everyone involved for this train wreck. Believe me, I wish I could take it all back. :noway:

I never get a chance to use this smiley so I'm going to use it now. :huh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd never suffered shin splints before until I started playing tennis. I only got it because I went from only jogging/walking quickly across the road once a year to sprinting around the court for 2 hours twice a week. The only thing I found to work was resting. I understand that doing toe curls work the "shin muscle" which can help - should do this off-season so when you start running again, your shin muscles are strong. You could try only sprinting/minimalist running as it doesn't activate the front of the shins like normal running and brisk walking does (where you're pulling the toes towards the shin to maintain technique or slow down).

I've considered hanging by my feet from a chin up bar but haven't tried it. :D
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No good reason. As usual, despite my best intentions, yet another thread degenerated into stupid. And as usual I'm at least partially responsible. I apologize to everyone involved for this train wreck. Believe me, I wish I could take it all back. :noway:

This is going a little far.

Don't take the good advice in his thread? Fine. But calling us stupid because you refuse to see a physician for your recurring medical problem?

The stupid is not us.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I don't recall the OP asking for weight loss advice, but nice try. You're wrong too, by the way. Anyone can lose weight eating chipotle and McDonalds.
  • RECowgill
    Options

Don't take the good advice in his thread? Fine. But calling us stupid because you refuse to see a physician for your recurring medical problem?

The stupid is not us.

Ok Jonnythan I did not call you stupid, I said this degenerated into stupid. Meaning it just collectively got to that point, went off the rails, whatever. I don't care to defend myself further than that, just know that I wasn't calling you or any other individual here stupid, except maybe myself for starting this topic in the first place. :wink:

But yes I often go too far.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

omg! I eat Chipotle and McDonalds on the regular! someone tell my ticker it must be lying!

ps: I am now the 3rd person to directly contradict you so I'm thinking you might be, uh, wrong.
  • RECowgill
    Options

omg! I eat Chipotle and McDonalds on the regular! someone tell my ticker it must be lying!

ps: I am now the 3rd person to directly contradict you so I'm thinking you might be, uh, wrong.

Chipotle is pretty damn good actually. Not just tastes good but (relatively speaking) good for you, if you pick the right things on the menu, which I mostly do. Mmmm mmm tasteeee! =)

Geez I had Mcdonalds like 2x in october which is 2x more than I normally do and she pointed it out like it was some great sin. It was like a snack wrap and some chicken nuggets... there are worse choices for cheap protein. Not that I'm proud of it. Filled a hole. :drinker:
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I would stay away from McDonalds but Qdoba and Chipoltle are fine. I eat Qdoba at least once a week. Yes it's high in sodium and fat but there are a lot of good nutrients as well. Just make sure to hit your macros and burn off the excess calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I would stay away from McDonalds but Qdoba and Chipoltle are fine. I eat Qdoba at least once a week. Yes it's high in sodium and fat but there are a lot of good nutrients as well. Just make sure to hit your macros and burn off the excess calories.

Sodium and fat are good nutrients. Essential, in fact.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

actually, the meal I get from McDonalds is lower in sodium than the one I eat at Chipotle. why should I stay away from McDs?

eta: I only know this because I checked, I don't even track sodium. also, I won't address the fat issue because I actually have a hard time getting enough.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses but jus wanted to throw this out there. I know a doctor has been suggested - if you do seek a doctors advice, find one that is into sports medicine. I suffered bad shin splints when I started running. Basically could not run. I'd rest til they went away, run again and get them immediately. I went to see my family doctor who gave me the same advice - stop running/rest.
    I am not an avid runner with several friends who are doctors/runners. Their advice is not to go to a regular doctor with issues like that because often the advice is to stop/rest when it may not be necessary. (Not specific to shin splints I mean running in general).

As for my shin splints - I was in a position where I had to run, it was part of a program. I kept running through the shin splints (ibuprofen and ice became a good friend) and eventually they went away. I am NOT suggesting OP or anyone else do that as shin splints can develop into other things, just stating my experience.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

The stupid is not us.

INTERNET FIGHT!
  • daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was out for a while with Achilles tendon problems; elliptical is OK but takes longer and no real substitute for running...