Can't run because of shin splints

Options
1235»

Replies

• juliegran
    juliegran Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints and the only thing I could do to get rid of them was rest. Couldn't hardly walk without pain and it was hard but rest for 2 weeks did me good. After that start slowly and then build back to wear you where in your walking/running.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If running hurts and nothing is helping.... you changed your shoes, you've stretched you've done everything else... All I can say is.

Stop running, then.

The end. do something else. Listen to your body, not everyone is a runner, and forcing yourself could cause injury.

This might be the case. You're not the first person to suggest this or consider it possible. It doesn't make me happy but it could be true.

I do other stuff. Many other things. But when running is the thing you want to do I guess you just keep trying to figure out ways to make it happen. Listening to my body is something I think I'm pretty good at. Believe me I know when it hurts like this it's not something a person pushes through. You stop and listen.

I know this has gotten off topic and not sure if anyone else is still on the point or has suggested the following but I'll throw my two cents in and hopefully not make it worse.

many people get shin splints doing too much too soon. Try to walk for 4 minutes and run for 1 and then gradually increase it. By gradually I mean gradually. Even if you can otherwise physically handle running further you need to build it up. Trust me. I don't have a scientific formula but anytime you do too much too soon running this can happen and you ave to scale back to build up.

The other thing is if you are out running and you get them you can stretch them by walking a certain way. if the shin splints are in the outer part of your shin walk with your feet turned in. yes you'll look dumb but it helps. I've heard if you get them in the inside to walk the other way but I've never tried that as I've never had them there and did not know that was possible.

Ice immediately after for a while - even if you have no pain. It never hurts.

Please nobody yell at me for what I know has worked for some people. Everyone is different ;)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have just decided to give running away. I have been trying for a few years now to change my running form, have tried several different shoes recommended by sports physios, sporting shoe experts who have watched me run and even a sports doctor/surgeon who specializes in shin splints and compartment syndromes. When he showed me the video he took of my running style on the treadmill I was amazed. My legs are quite bowed (which I hadn't noticed before), my feet are turned in to the point where my big toes nearly face the other foot, so when I run it honestly don't look that great lol

He said I heel strike and it may get better if I were to try and change my running style to hitting the pavement mid-foot, or running on grass, though basically said I just may not be that good at running and not everyone can run!

Before my shin splints set in, I get a horrible burning sensation through my ankles, which basically cripples me when I run, even for a few minutes. I have to stop and rotate the ankle until the burning passes, though even then I can hardly walk. The burning gradually subsides after a few hours of being at home and later the pain arises in my shins where it feels like someone has smashed my shins with a hammer.

So, I am having a few days of absolute rest from walking/ running (to exercise)... And then I plan on just walking for exercise along with strength training. But, I can at least say that I tried and I got professional help and opinions from different sources. It cost a bit of money, though I feel better that I did get professional help, regardless of the outcome.