November Cycling Challeng 2013

Options
Welcome to our November Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much biking was when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I just now discovered this thread! Thanks for posting it!

I'm in the weekend warrior category due to my work schedule but cycling is the thing I like the most. I have my 80 year old mother hooked on cycling too.

It's what motivates my to lose weight and get fit.

I'll be checking back here.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Check out this fitness calculator. It tells you your "fitness age" based on 5 things. I'm 53 right now. I calculated twice - once based on my current information, and the other based on 6 months ago (before I started on MFP and riding my bike 3-4 times/wk). So. Wow. My pre-MFP fitness age was 65!!! My current fitness age is 50!!! Wow. Gotta keep peddling, despite the chronic tendonitis in my hips and the pain in my knee and the fatigue. Waist size is of utmost relevance. Studies have shown that the spare tire thing is linked to heart disease. I still have mine, but it's 3 inches smaller than 6 months ago. Woot! Here's the link. http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max
  • yoganut5
    yoganut5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this site and this challenge. I just started spinning last week. I am hoping that if I start posting on here, I will be more accountable to myself. I also enjoy yoga.

I did that fitness age thing, I am younger than 20, however my vo2max age is 53. so if I can keep moving and get my waistline smaller I am doing great!

thanks! I look forward to seeing everyone's posts.
    Michelle:happy:
  • sajeffe
    Options
    November goal is 60 miles. I know it's really low, but for me, it's better than not having a goal. I'm not riding for weight loss anymore so there's that.

11/1 - 3 miles. Nice outside today, but my fatigue level was too high and the wind was too difficult to fight. Accompanied by She & Him, Volume 3 on the Walkman.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this site and this challenge. I just started spinning last week. I am hoping that if I start posting on here, I will be more accountable to myself. I also enjoy yoga.

I did that fitness age thing, I am younger than 20, however my vo2max age is 53. so if I can keep moving and get my waistline smaller I am doing great!

thanks! I look forward to seeing everyone's posts.
    Michelle:happy:

Look at it again. The VO2MAX is not an age. It's a gauge.
    If it's showing your age as younger than 20, you're all good. Note that waist measurement is cm, not inches. And heart rate is resting rate.

And, welcome!!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I just now discovered this thread! Thanks for posting it!

I'm in the weekend warrior category due to my work schedule but cycling is the thing I like the most. I have my 80 year old mother hooked on cycling too.

It's what motivates my to lose weight and get fit.

I'll be checking back here.

Very cool!
  • Tmsmith007
    Options
    This will be my second month and I am not sure where to put the goal.
    I noted that a few people respond by placing the quote in the reply, can anyone give pointers on that? I would love to comment and encourage sometimes, but it's senseless when all cannot read it. #notsotechno
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Despite it being our dry season, the first ride of the month got rained out. I went to the Y instead, but not a good start cycling wise. I guess I'll be in my pajamas watching football this rainy afternoon.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I mentioned before the National Cycling Network we have in the UK (essentially 14.000 miles of cycling routes that cross the UK) along the routes are milestones which are usually designed by a local artist and they sometimes incorporate the actual route number like this one does Route 6 which starts in London and then heads North

Photo of milestone

IMG_20131102_081019-M.jpg

IMG_20131102_081035-M.jpg

Miles Cycled November

2nd November 60 miles
  • sajeffe
    Options
    This will be my second month and I am not sure where to put the goal.
    I noted that a few people respond by placing the quote in the reply, can anyone give pointers on that? I would love to comment and encourage sometimes, but it's senseless when all cannot read it. #notsotechno

When you're reading something you want to reply to, look under their ticker bar and you'll see some clickable words, one of which is "quote." Just click on that and it will bring up the reply box with the quote already there for you to respond to. Hope that's clear. I'm not real techie either.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I mentioned before the National Cycling Network we have in the UK (essentially 14.000 miles of cycling routes that cross the UK) along the routes are milestones which are usually designed by a local artist and they sometimes incorporate the actual route number like this one does Route 6 which starts in London and then heads North

Photo of milestone

IMG_20131102_081035-M.jpg

That milestone is very, very cool.

First rides of the month, both today. The first was my ride to my annual eye exam on my fixed gear bike. 11 miles
    0fa696e2453c6a6061838117d7efbec8_default.jpg

The second was to see the new public plaza downtown. It opened this weekend. I rode my 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist 3-speed roadster.
    1589043265275b2162ad6c9.49423307.jpeg

11/2 - 11*
    11/2 - 23

Total: 34 miles

* fixed gear rides
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't have any goals for this month, other than to keep going as long as I can. It's going to be tougher tomorrow with the time change. I'm in Massachusetts, near the eastern end of the eastern time zone in the US, so even with DST it feels like the sun sets early (I grew up at the western end of the same zone).

So far this month:

11/1: 7.1 miles commuting
    11/2: 32.1 easy miles with my wife, up into the hills northeast of us

I figure 250-300 miles this month will be reasonable, though some of that might be on the rollers depending on weather. I really need to get the studded snow tires on my old hybrid for some serious winter biking.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Photo of milestone

I like the NCN milestones. The ones along Route 5 from Didcot to Oxford are very nice.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    <---- addicted to SPIN. Here's my current Spin Class Regimen: Mon 630am - 715am, 615pm - 700pm; Tues 630am - 700am, 530pm - 600pm; Weds 630am-715am, 530pm-600pm; Thurs 615am-715am; Friday - 630am - 715am. Sat - 830am - 900am. Sun REST. Also squeeze in a coupla boot camps and Soccer on Sat afternoons, lift a couple times and a few hours on the elliptical, but it SPIN Im most passionate about. Avg 6 hours a week, 8 classes, and 6000 - 6500 cals a week! LOVE SPIN!! Thanks for the thread too!!
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    'The second was to see the new public plaza downtown. It opened this weekend. I rode my 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist 3-speed roadster.
    1589043265275b2162ad6c9.49423307.jpeg'

VERY NICE Raleigh bike you have there
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I was sick for several months and stopped biking. So I need something to get me back out on my bike despite that it is getting colder here.

November Goal - 30 miles
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    VERY NICE Raleigh bike you have there

Thanks. I got it at a garage sale five years ago for $30. Eventually the original Brooks saddle needed to be replaced and I had the wheels rebuilt on the original hubs.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    November Goal - 30 miles

11/3 - 5 miles Rode to the library
  • ivormorgan
    Options
    Just recovering from a cold so coughed and spluttered my way around. Quiet county roads, crisp, cold day and some great views.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/92898477?ref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9dHdpdHRlcjs0PTMyMzUwMTg%3D
    23 miles, 1:29:18 moving time, 737 ft elevation, av. 15.5mph max 40.9 mph
    23 of 150 mile goal
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I don't have any goals for this month, other than to keep going as long as I can. It's going to be tougher tomorrow with the time change. I'm in Massachusetts, near the eastern end of the eastern time zone in the US, so even with DST it feels like the sun sets early (I grew up at the western end of the same zone).

So far this month:

11/1: 7.1 miles commuting
    11/2: 32.1 easy miles with my wife, up into the hills northeast of us

I figure 250-300 miles this month will be reasonable, though some of that might be on the rollers depending on weather. I really need to get the studded snow tires on my old hybrid for some serious winter biking.

The time zone thing is going to do me in for the next month or two too. I'm in the most eastern part of the central zone so it gets dark at 5pm now. Yuck.