Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options
I'm trying to limit my sugar but it's sacrificing my calories. I usually have a smoothie in the morning (which takes a majority of my sugar intake), a frittata for lunch and some form of meat with vegetables for dinner and I plan to snack on carrots (although I should find something else because they have lots of sugar too). So what are some options I could try? Note: I can't eat peanuts.

As of what I've gotten down for day I'm 4g over my sugar and I'm 309 calories short of my goal. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

Actually, limiting your sugar can help with weight loss.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    No, limiting your calories will help with weight loss. It's really insignificant where they come from.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar or sodium and have lost 123lbs in about 16 months. Over consumption is the problem, not the foods themselves.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason to put silly restrictions in your life. Sugar is a carb, track that number and pay attention to the number of calories. (psst.....calorie deficit=weight loss)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

58321-Louis-CK-nope-gif-uvTq.gif

Limiting your CALORIES will help with weight loss.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No, limiting your calories will help with weight loss. It's really insignificant where they come from.

QFT
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation and I totally disagree.....
  • Mokey41
    Options

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Being obese CAN be a cause of diabetes. No one said go eat nothing but chocolate bars and soda. The OP is trying to eliminate sugar from her diet. There is no reason to do that for weight loss or even if you are diabetic.
  • benefiting
    Options

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

You can't simply get diabetes by eating a ton of sugar. Being overweight/obese for a considerable amount of time can add to the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

Yes, because God forbid we should read peer-reviewed science and just watch a documentary and believe everything they tell us. :noway:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Lustig? How'd I guess... *sigh*
    tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif 
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Foods that contain little to no sugar? Eggs, cheese, meat, nuts.....bacon. Can't forget bacon.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Actually, no it doesn't-limiting your calories is what causes weight loss. Listen to the people who've been successful at losing weight (and maintaining), -you won't find many of them suggesting setting pointless rules and restrictions about sugars. Don't over-complicate this and make it harder than it needs to be. Calories in. Calories out. Period.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I usually don't jump in but my father has type 2 diabetes and is far from obese. He got it from eating lots of high sugary foods and tons of carbs. However I do think Mfp sets there sugar allowance a little too low and never worry about sugar from fruits and veggies.
  • benefiting
    Options

Yes, because God forbid we should read peer-reviewed science and just watch a documentary and believe everything they tell us. :noway:

I don't watch a documentary. I look at more than one, thank you and I'd like to know where you get your knowledge from.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that calories are what count when losing weight not necessarily where you get them from. Trying to save on calories by being more careful of the high sugar stuff like cake biscuits and chocolate will help keep you within your calorie goal. But I would certainly not worry about sugar in carrots, or fruit that would be removing really healthy food from your diet.

There is a lot of good advice on these forums, people here, are, on the whole, pretty well educated when it comes to losing weight you could learn a lot.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    Never mind, carry on eating no sugar. You'll be fine and that leaves more candy for me.