Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Celery
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

Maybe there is a second Youtube video that will tell you what to eat.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

I eat a very healthy mostly whole foods, plant based diet and still stand by what I said previously. Calories in. Calories out for weight loss. Sugar is NOT the devil and being afraid to eat carrots because of the sugar in them-seriously?! And yes I've watched Lustig's lectures, read both of Taubes books etc etc etc. And I used to have glucose levels in the pre-diabetic level. Cutting back my sugar levels did NOT cause that number to go down, counting and cutting back on calories and losing 50lbs did. And I ate SAD while I lost the majority of my weight and never tracked sugar. These sugar threads are getting ridiculous :grumble:
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    People are way off topic here. I didn't create this post to be told I don't need to lower my sugar intake. I made it to find out food I can make that contains less sugar.

If I want to lower my sugar intake, that is my decision. I don't need to be told otherwise and yet, you guys want to create a fuss about my decision. We all have different opinions I know and I'm not bothering trying to defend my case anymore because I shouldn't have to. It's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthier in general. If you want to go over on your sugar, by all means go for it. If you want to go by only staying within your calorie goal, go for it. I'm not stopping you and good on you if you've lose heaps of weight by doing it but I want to do it differently.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Just use google. Most of the time it is only trolls on here.
  • benefiting
    Options

I eat a very healthy mostly whole foods, plant based diet and still stand by what I said previously. Calories in. Calories out. Sugar is NOT the devil. And yes I've watched Lustig's lectures, read both of Taubes books etc etc etc. And I used to have glucose levels in the pre-diabetic level. Cutting back my sugar levels did NOT cause that number to go down, counting and cutting back on calories and losing 50lbs did. And I ate SAD while I lost the majority of my weight. These sugar threads are getting ridiculous :grumble:

Well, that is great but I didn't create this thread to be discussing if sugar is the energy or not. I made it to find things that contain less sugar and then people want to come here and tell me I shouldn't do my own decision. It's my body and I want to try and limit my sugar.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I cut out sugar to lose 90% of my weight and have been generally eating very low carb since 2010, I don't really care to argue it because of how uneducated and stubborn most of this community is in regards to science based nutrition. So i'll give you a bunch of info and skip out!

https://www.evernote.com/pub/j_jay/ketorecipes Low carb recipes I keep.

Aside from those, some general stuff you can eat with low/no sugar.

Meat, cheese, vegetables, almonds/flavored almonds, almond/coconut flours, pork rinds, jerky, avocado, Pickles, olives, Cucumbers/celery/lettuce with full fat dressing, Kale chips (break off leaves, coat with olive oil, sprinkle salt, spread on baking sheet, bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until crisp), Hard boiled eggs, Keep egg and tuna salad in tupperware, eat as lettuce wraps. Sliced deli meat, whole mayo, Spoonful of peanut or almond butter. Cheese slices. Fired cheese, pepperoni, bacon, bacon, bacon, cured meats, sour cream. Whole cream cheese and anything. Mashed cauliflower. Broccoli & cheese, lightly creamed spinach. Lindt dark chocolate 85%. Sunflower seeds, pepitas, a cup of hot tea or coffee with heavy cream, sugar free jello, low carb yogurt like kroger's carbmaster or greek yogurt, hot sauces, sriracha, and low sugar salsas.

I'll also add two indulgences, but they come at a premium. www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com for great no sugar jerky, and www.questproteinbar.com for low carb protein bars that taste quite amazing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat and fat.....no sugar there.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Reduced sugar power bars hard to find but 1 gram of sugar
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If I want to lower my sugar intake, that is my decision.

I think it is a good decision ... sugar is the new devil. The food industry doesn't want us to think about all the sugar they are sneaking into our food. Sugar is not good for us .. the OP is doing the right thing as sugar does matter.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    stick with reducing sugar (and carbs). it's not just calories. don't listen to folks who tell you otherwise.
    I wouldn't be doing fruit smoothies myself.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I cut out sugar to lose 90% of my weight and have been generally eating very low carb since 2010, I don't really care to argue it because of how uneducated and stubborn most of this community is in regards to science based nutrition. So i'll give you a bunch of info and skip out!

https://www.evernote.com/pub/j_jay/ketorecipes Low carb recipes I keep.

Aside from those, some general stuff you can eat with low/no sugar.

Meat, cheese, vegetables, almonds/flavored almonds, almond/coconut flours, pork rinds, jerky, avocado, Pickles, olives, Cucumbers/celery/lettuce with full fat dressing, Kale chips (break off leaves, coat with olive oil, sprinkle salt, spread on baking sheet, bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until crisp), Hard boiled eggs, Keep egg and tuna salad in tupperware, eat as lettuce wraps. Sliced deli meat, whole mayo, Spoonful of peanut or almond butter. Cheese slices. Fired cheese, pepperoni, bacon, bacon, bacon, cured meats, sour cream. Whole cream cheese and anything. Mashed cauliflower. Broccoli & cheese, lightly creamed spinach. Lindt dark chocolate 85%. Sunflower seeds, pepitas, a cup of hot tea or coffee with heavy cream, sugar free jello, low carb yogurt like kroger's carbmaster or greek yogurt, hot sauces, sriracha, and low sugar salsas.

Thank you so much!
  • benefiting
    Options

I think it is a good decision ... sugar is the new devil. The food industry doesn't want us to think about all the sugar they are sneaking into our food. Sugar is not good for us .. the OP is doing the right thing as sugar does matter.

Why thank you. I am talking about natural sugar too but I know it's okay to have some, just not a lot. Lol.
  • benefiting
    Options
    stick with reducing sugar (and carbs). it's not just calories. don't listen to folks who tell you otherwise.
    I wouldn't be doing fruit smoothies myself.

Thank you. I'm glad some people agree. Each to their own I guess. Lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    meat and cheese...MMMMMMMM
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I do not track sugar or sodium and have lost 123lbs in about 16 months. Over consumption is the problem, not the foods themselves.
    Agreed. I have lost around the same & have not limited my sugar once. I even sometimes eat ice cream & cookies on the same day.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

^^^^QFT

To the OP: Great job on your decisions. Always carve your own path and let the haters hate. :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'll be nice about this. Meats, eggs, almonds, peanuts, carrots, green beans, lettuce, water. Probably most veggies, now that I think about it.

To note; I made it pretty clear on another thread where I sit on the whole "sugar is teh devuls!!!!" nonsense. It involves the word "nonsense". But, if you wanna restrict your calories by eating low sugar foods, knock yourself out. The above list, along the other lists that have been provided, should give you a good idea of where to start, and should taste good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

how high is that glass ceiling of yours?