Food that contains next to no sugar at least?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.
    NO
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Why are you eliminating sugar? Unless you're diabetic there really is no reason.

I want to bash the screen every time I see this. Of course, wait until AFTER you have diabetes to think about sugar... :noway: With all the people walking around with metabolic disorders, yes, sugar matters. If someone has excess body fat, the sugar matters. If someone is a very fit body builder, the sugar probably matters less.

Anyway, unprocessed foods are low in sugar. Meat, vegetables, nuts, eggs, avocados, ... I could go on and on. Fruit has sugar but in moderate amounts fruit is healthy. Personally, I do limit fruit because I am healthier by doing so.

Limitting sugar is not an unnecessary "restriction" for me. I'm not "suffering" and it's not "hard". Being fat and sick was fricken hard and miserable. Not being able to run and jump and play with my child was hard. Thinking, for years, that I am a worthless piece of crap with no willpower was hard. I was obese, had many metabolic disorders, depression and BED. There are many people just like me here at MFP. For those people (and likely the majority) the sugar matters. If it doesn't matter for you, great, but telling anyone that is over-weight that sugar doesn't matter is just plain wrong, ignorant and sabotaging.

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

To be fair they are talking about sugar without fiber. Whole fruit is good, processed sugar (and juice) is bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Now, I don't buy into this, but your body your choice.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Never mind, carry on eating no sugar. You'll be fine and that leaves more candy for me.

I'm not sure she's going to be fine if she's carrying it to the point where she can't even eat carrots. She's pretty much going to have to eliminate all plant-based foods and dairy from her diet if she wants to eliminate sugar. Soluble fiber (found in plant foods) helps lower blood glucose levels (not to mention cholesterol), and since her body will likely start breaking down proteins to manufacture glucose, she will still have sugar in her bloodstream. I'm sure she'll enjoy the results of a diet with no insoluble fiber either (constipation is so much fun).
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Foods that contain little to no sugar? Eggs, cheese, meat, nuts.....bacon. Can't forget bacon.

But don't you know meat causes cancer!!!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM

Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Question. How do you think animals get diabetes? No one in their right mind would feed their animals tons of sugar- cats don't even taste sugar so they wouldn't be inclined to eat it anyway. (and DO NOT tell me it is added into their pet food. I'm a vet assistant and know that to be untrue.)

Answer: Obesity and poor diet. So just to be clear not related to consuming sugar.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Berries, grapefruit and green apples have lower sugar counts than most other fruits. Other than that, I snack on raw veggies, hard boiled eggs, nuts/seeds (higher calories but also higher protein so you don't need many of them to be filling), plain greek yogurt, kale chips. Good luck, OP, ignore the haters and do what works for you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Since I could care less whether or not the OP sticks with her diet, I won't comment on the sugar restrictions.

Eat mostly plant based foods, meats, and some legumes. Avoid most fruit.

Best of luck.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Thank you! Obviously some people are just ignorant and follow the standard norms of the food industry. People need to educate themselves.

For all of you who think it's about calories only, not sugar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y
    Lustig? How'd I guess... *sigh*
    tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif 

That's what I was thinking! *high five*
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Eggs
    Oil
    Water

But I really really REALLY wouldn't suggest worrying about the sugar in a carrot without a medical reason to do so.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Lustig? How'd I guess... *sigh*
    tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif 

That's what I was thinking! *high five*
    Back at ya! :wink:

tumblr_mtsxy6YGTp1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • whierd
    Options
    Never mind, carry on eating no sugar. You'll be fine and that leaves more candy for me.

I'm not sure she's going to be fine if she's carrying it to the point where she can't even eat carrots. She's pretty much going to have to eliminate all plant-based foods and dairy from her diet if she wants to eliminate sugar. Soluble fiber (found in plant foods) helps lower blood glucose levels (not to mention cholesterol), and since her body will likely start breaking down proteins to manufacture glucose, she will still have sugar in her bloodstream. I'm sure she'll enjoy the results of a diet with no insoluble fiber either (constipation is so much fun).

I hate to be callous, but why bother? Clearly the OP believes she's correct, despite many warnings. Though I wonder why she needed to ask this question if she knows so much about the dangers of sugar.

Sometimes Darwinism needs to take place. Don't fight it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I hate to be callous, but why bother? Clearly the OP believes she's correct, despite many warnings. Though I wonder why she needed to ask this question if she knows so much about the dangers of sugar.

Yep, agree, sometimes in life you have to lay in the bed you made!! :ohwell:
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    edited, cuz I need to "educate" myself regarding the "quote" function
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match with anyone, I'm just going to answer the OP's question in polite manner ... 2 oz. of almonds (you said not peanuts, which are not really nuts, but legumesl so, I'm assuming you can have tree nuts, such as almonds ...) 328 calories ...

Personally, I do not track sugar, if I did, I would be WAY over every morning with my breakfast of fruit an cottage cheese ... And it would skyrocket if I decided to have dates for dessert ...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

You're only saying that because of the following exchanges:

"You know, it really isn't necessary, just monitor calories"
    "TROLL! You're gonna 'splode from diabetes!"

and

"You're totally right...EAT NO SUGAR!!!!!!"
    "THANK you. FINALLY someone who knows what they're talking about."

Silly Wheird. Recognizing the colloidal dispersion resulting from conflagration being directed vertically toward a posterior.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Just ate a 6oz Rib Eye at 337 cal. You can cut a bit off to get your cal at 307. Boom. Done.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I wasn't going to say anything but the whole "ignorant" and "educate themselves" comments irked me. You are right that many people do need to educate themselves, and that would include those who think any one particular food is inherently evil.

I don't post often, but zealotry gets my goat a bit.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Hello? Are you hearing yourself? I want to bash the screen in every time someone who has no idea what diabetes is and tries to talk about it. Diabetes isn't about the amount of sugar you consume. It is the way your metabolism handles ALL your foods. And what it does with them. Example a diabetic can have a meal of nothing but lettuce. Here is the kicker for a diabetic. If they eat too much of any food they will get high blood sugar. So a bowl of 3 cups of nothing but lettuce can make some diabetics blood sugar rise. Because their body is unable to break down the food properly. Because the fat cells that the body usually store excess fat in are already full. Full because there is a break down in the way their body their metabolizes foods. Carbs turn into sugar. Proteins will to if you eat too much. But mostly it is the carbs. that diabetics limit. Because they metabolize fast and break down into sugars faster and as a diabetic your body does not use these sugars correctly. Why because their fat cells that store excess sugar are FULL! All diabetics can eat sugar. They will not die if they have some. But they must be careful. Because sugared foods are already broken down to go into their blood stream without any energy being used. It kills me when a kid says "Mom can I have this candy bar." And Mom says "No that is diabetes in a snack." NOPE Mom your wrong. Popcorn, carrots, apples all can make Blood sugar rise. If what you say is true then all these little kids who become diabetic at 3 or 4 would have to be eating fist full of sugar. And they are not. By the way you will find most diabetics do not have a accurate OFF switch to tell them they are full. Any one can get it. Its not just fat, obese people. But most diabetics do become fat and obese. Why? BECAUSE THEIR metabolism isn't breaking down the sugars properly. And their FAT cells are full. Because their body is broken. Its usually nothing they did. So stop looking at diabetics people like they did this to themselves. Educate yourself.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I wasn't going to say anything but the whole "ignorant" and "educate themselves" comments irked me. You are right that many people do need to educate themselves, and that would include those who think any one particular food is inherently evil.

I don't post often, but zealotry gets my goat a bit.
    :smooched: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • whierd
    Options

You're only saying that because of the following exchanges:

"You know, it really isn't necessary, just monitor calories"
    "TROLL! You're gonna 'splode from diabetes!"

and

"You're totally right...EAT NO SUGAR!!!!!!"
    "THANK you. FINALLY someone who knows what they're talking about."

Silly Wheird. Recognizing the colloidal dispersion resulting from conflagration being directed vertically toward a posterior.

Bonus points to everyone who knows all of these words without needing to Google.