Unsupportive Boyfriend and House

Options
12346»

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do those of you think I tell my mother in law that her food is crap? I don't. Because it isn't.

I know she's italian, but her family has lived in America for 3 generations, enough blaming this on culture. I'm a 2nd gen Hungarian, and my Grandma was a gypsy, I should blame any negative behavior I have on that! Even though (just like my mother in law) I have never been to that country, nor do I carry many of those traits.

Being any race or culture doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful, which she is when she brings me a plate of food after 4 polite no thanks yous. (Most of this is after I ate food right in front of her) She is incredibly rude in that regard. So stop making excuses for her.

You're clearly choosing not to move out of your boyfriend's family residence, with or without him; An obvious choice to retain your sanity and a modicum of control over what you eat on a daily basis.

Sadly, had you not spotlit your boyfriend's Mother being of Italian descent, your thread would not have spiraled in this direction. You provided the portal for those of us who have an inkling and those who possess the working living knowledge to the extent of those who are of Italian/Sicilian extraction, to enter in our attempts to unravel your sticky situation; To make sense of it. Culture has determined this conflict. Families are different as you well know. Some are more defined by Heritage and others less so. You found it prudent to inject into your first post that your future Mother-in-law is Italian. Like it or not - it matters. Like it not, culture is an active player in your relationship with your boyfriend. And unfortunately for you, you are dealing with (i) Her Gender, (ii) Her Heritage and (iii) Her House/Family/Son. In Italian/Sicilian Homes, like many ethnicities, the Kitchen is the Heart of the House/Family/Home. And the Master Commander in the Kitchen is the Lady of the House. She is the Pulse, the Pacer, the Control, the Balance. Therefore the unspoken rule is, if you're the guest and you disfavour it, leave.

You are a lucky girl and once you figure out for yourself how to tread water for you to preserve your love for your man, you'll be okay. You need to make peace with your situation. Find the harmony, be a part of that balance.

ETA: Underline
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Oh and too all those freaking out over my choice of words to use "Pasta Crap"

If you're on the website, you know as well I do that white pasta is just bad, empty calories. She is not using wheat pasta here. Calm down. I know italian cooking is good... thats why its difficult to resist when there are gobs and gobs of it in the fridge every single day.

Understandably you favour your boyfriend's Mother's cooking, hence your complaint, hence your perception of an unsupportive house and boyfriend. I think people are reacting to your explosive choice of words, "crap" and "cheap" and "dump." They are loaded and cocked trigger words @direct responses addressing "pasta crap."

White flour is not bad for you. Semolina is not bad for you. And your body does not delineate between sources of carbs unless of course you have a medical impediment. I know you do not or you'd have stated it before now. The only medical advice you'd divulged on this thread is where your boyfriend's Family Physician had stipulated that you need to lose some weight. No emphasis on allergies or health dietary sensitivity.

Have you considered IIFYM as a possible avenue to suit the foods available in your boyfriend's family kitchen and your inability for self-control with food? IIFYM would create that safety blanket, for the white flour, semolina pasta, oils, candy, chippies, cookies, et al.

ETA: Bold Code

Do you have a medical link that shows white flower is not bad for you?

The body absorbs processed grains and simple sugars relatively quickly. Increased blood sugar triggers a release of insulin, and, in an hour or two after eating, hunger returns.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical link that shows white flower is not bad for you?

The body absorbs processed grains and simple sugars relatively quickly. Increased blood sugar triggers a release of insulin, and, in an hour or two after eating, hunger returns.

I don't have it on hand but this site's forum is riddled with medical links spotting arguments for and against the above-addressed. Agreeing or negating the issue is highly affected by personal choice, which should make an individual an effectual guinea pig for self, to prove or disprove "their Scientific Interpretation" of choice. The self, rationale, health status considerations are all players. :drinker:

However BOT you have highlighted an ingredient that is somewhat traditional in many Italian salads, moreso Sicilian I'm thinking, where edible flowers are used in their Antipasto, Desserts, Coffee Cookies and as Flavouring Agents. Thank you RawFoodsHo :flowerforyou:

ETA: sp adding "s"
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I have been in a similar situation. And it's a horrible place to be. I gained 5 kg in 2 months, mostly because of stress eating when I moved back with my parents for a few months. My mother told me I was getting bigger in one breath and demanding that I ate dinner with them and then that I had seconds and desert. Saying no was not an option, cooking for them just made her complain about everything I did and telling me I was doing everything wrong.

When the contractor called me and said they would be done two weeks early I've never been so happy.

You are obviously not happy where you are now. So if it's an option: Get out, get out now. If not get a hobby or start a class of something in the afternoon and stay out of the house as much as possible.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Hello there! I'm 22, 5 foot, italian as all hell...and I know how it is!

I feel a lot of people here aren't understanding how Italian families work and the incredible focus on food and large portions. It is a culture, a custom, and often a source of offending people who don't understand healthy eating sadly.

I was overweight my whole life. Not significantly, but not unnoticeably either. Growing up, my family would praise me when the scale went up, and eventually I hit a point around 6th grade where I was like "wait...this isn't a good weight for me...why are they cheering?" My doctor also bluntly said "you'd better lay off the Burger King sweetie" (I always hated him >_<)

But the blunt truth is that they never will change. I have so many italian friends with mothers that are in DIRE health conditions and will not give up stocking the house with sausages, white bread, and bag upon bag of pasta. Thank God my mother is not in dire conditions yet, but I do also deal with the same battle. My mother likes to rinse out the pasta sauce jar with cream to get every last bit...that kind of situation.

You have to decide which is more important to you. The fact that he defends his mother so much is a bad sign...he should be supporting you! Even if you aren't eating the same foods- I don't get why that's anyone else's problem! But I do understand your position and how it offends her, though you don't mean to. They really are just like that.

The other day I went to my aunts and it's been 300 days of healthy eating for me. My mom asked what I'd like when we go there because of my eating requirements, and to make everyone happy I said "chinese food". I got a steamed veggie and shrimp plate, ate some lo-mein, a giant dumpling, and half a can of Coke (the craziest day I had in a while). I had worked out all morning, so I wasn't too concerned. And I was proud that nobody in my family would think I was "eating weird food" either. Needless to say, after stuffing my face, my aunt says, "So, when are you going to start eating NORMAL food again?" Umm....what is this? Some outer space food?

They just don't understand. When I was vegan for 6 months a while back, you should have heard the comments from my extended family. My mom understood, but everyone else was like "you're going to die! you can't survive without animal protein!" despite my arguments about substitutes and the vitamin content of green leafy vegetables.

Do this for you- ignore everyone else. If she gets that pissed at you- or if he does- then it's their own problem and you deserve better than that. No one should have to try and please everyone just to eat a damn meal!

My heart is with you...I hope this situation leads to a healthier happier you in the end <3

QFT
  • jessmarionrai
    jessmarionrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in a similar boat. Live with my boyfriend, his mom and her boyfriend, and a friend of the bf's. And I actually managed to lose 30+lbs while living here. And then put it all back on after getting my wisdom teeth out, starting birth control, and the bf got immersed in school and what little support I had was gone. It doesn't help that his mother and her bf are hoarders--a lifestyle I cannot understand no matter how hard I try. I work 2 jobs trying to pay student loans and credit card debt and have been constantly applying to full time employment for the last 2 years in the hopes that the bf and I could move out. We've also continued to push it back for 2 years because he wants to finish school and then find employment so the heft of the rent wouldn't fall onto me. But I'm losing my mind with these extra pounds and the waiting and all the **** everywhere. We're allowed 1 shelf in 1 of their 2 fridges (ugh) and then a shelf in 1 of the freezers. Any other food is in then closet of our 100sqft bedroom. It makes buying fresh food a pain in the *kitten* because there is no room and it always goes bad quickly because they frequently have rotting vegetables /food in their fridges--which speeds up the aging of any other fresh produce nearby.

Add me as a friend. We can create a support group to deal with our ****ty situations and [hopefully] create a support group separate from these ****ty circumstances.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    you're like "why cant I have it my way?" - the answer is its not your house, and you are making a problem by expecting everyone else to change when you can be the change or orchestrate the change.
    From the other side of the fence: My stepdaughter had the same reaction when, in discussing her possibly living with us in our home, I stated that I do not want her baking gooey sweet crap in the evenings or keeping crap sweets in the pantry, as this is my home and I believe I deserve one place, my home, where I don't have to fight urges all the time. She was really put out, saying at her mom's house she can bake and eat sweets whenever she wants. Well, yeah, that's her mom's house. This is not her mom's house. That's the price of living in someone's house (for free, I might add). Take it or leave it. There are some things on which I just won't budge.
    Think about it as if you were the one still living at home and your significant other lived with you, and your family lifestyle (the one you think is "normal") drove him crazy. Try dealing with it from that perspective.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think you need a new boyfriend. If he can't support you now, why would buying a house change that? He clearly judges you when you don't have the stress of being house owners and handling all the stresses of bill paying. I think you should get out before tying yourself to him long term with a house commitment. Be strong, lose the weight for you and get yourself in a supportive environment.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    RUN!!! Run as fast as you can! The guy lives with mom and dad clearly has commitment issues and now he wants to take you for a test drive for a year before he ties the knot.
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation with my boyfriend and his mom. It's not so much that I'm tempted by the food that is around, it's that I feel that I'm offending her if I don't eat her cooking. She also buys me food that she thinks I will like, but it is often something I would never eat and then I feel bad for not eating it. I don't really know what to tell you, I'm just trying to deal with it one day at a time. I buy and make a lot of my own meals, if it's something everyone will eat, then I make enough for everybody. All I have to say is I'm counting down the days till we move out!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 150 for 3 months & a calorie addition was recommended to me so I went from 150 at 3 months, bumped my calories to 1350 and then more loss came....