Tattoos...Almost got one this week

Options
Mobilemuscle
Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
Walked by a local polynesian tattoo shop and stopped inside.... found a really cool tat that I liked

Ive never liked any tattoo before

Thought about it, then realized Im not polynesian so it may look stupid

And one dude it there getting one looked like he was going to die

So I left

Discuss your own tattoo experiences

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Uh.. No experience here.
    I want one, but I can't find the design I drew out. Until I find it, I won't be getting one :|
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Uh.. No experience here.
    I want one, but I can't find the design I drew out. Until I find it, I won't be getting one :|

Its a pretty major undertaking
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Never had a bad experience getting mine. My first one (panther head) was when i was 19, and i just got out of a bar feeling really buzzed, but a couple of weeks before i went to the same shop with a co-worker at the time, and actually picked out what i wanted, so it wasn't done based on my alcohol consumption that night. The others were done with me being sober................and as an adult. I'm hoping to get a new one since it's been a few years since my last one (good/bad girl)
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am itching for new ink. I've had homemade work with a needle and ink I did myself at 15. Some work a friend did for me using a homemade gun that still looks good today (done when i as 18) Two half sleeves, my back is done with wings that cover from my shoulders to my waist. My chest is done and a collar shot of my wife's name. One lone scorpion tattoo on my right leg also. All except the wings and scorpion have my kids names..oh and my left forearm has my youngest sons foot prints and his name under in a banner....I have issues because I love the pain. Sober 100% for each and everyone. ;-)
  • rayfu75
    Options
    I've been wanting to do both my hands lately and a rib shot of a huge koi fish .. just broke though *sigh*
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Four with more to come
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    I have 4 now, i have a couple designs i want, infact i know what i want my next to be. but its all a matter of spare time and spare money.
    its sucks being a responsible adult.
  • rayfu75
    Options

its sucks being a responsible adult.

#Truth
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Four already, and seriously wanting more. It's no matter of a lack of design ideas, just the lack of money. Hmph. I don't mind the pain, almost fell asleep during my chest tattoo.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I have one right now with 3 more designed. My first one hurt like hell. I have had 2 kids all natural, and the tat hurt far more than that lol. I love the ink though so I'll be getting the first of the 3 in January.
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that picking a tattoo out of a book is too impersonal for something you will have for life. I have always wanted one, but lack of artistic ability and the goal to find something meaningful has left my body free of ink. Except when I accidentally get pen or marker on my fingers.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that picking a tattoo out of a book is too impersonal for something you will have for life. I have always wanted one, but lack of artistic ability and the goal to find something meaningful has left my body free of ink. Except when I accidentally get pen or marker on my fingers.

The bolded text.
    I drew mine out myself. Luckily, I can draw.. So, it was no problem. But I like the design I originally made, so it would be a shame to have to redo it, I won't love it as much.. So, until I find it, no cigar here for me :(
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have sixteen hours of ink on me. I've never done flash though - I think about what I want and what it means to me, then I go and talk to the artist. I've found one I like a lot who has done most of my work at this point. We make a consult, I bring her or e-mail her some pictures that are close to what I had in mind, then talk to her about the placement, size, color or not, what's important to me, etc. Then we make an appointment 3-4 weeks later and she'll draw something before then. The day of our appointment we make any changes I want, then get started.

This is my most recent one -
    1382351_623920791198_2043538302_n.jpg

and this is my biggest -

304146_547489105908_1514876768_n.jpg
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ThePlight, I think it is awesome that you drew your own! My post is my opinion and I mean absolutely no disrespect to those that get any type of tattoo. That is a personal choice that I would never interfere with, unless of course my daughter wants something outlandish, then I may have to step in. But I have 6 years for one and about 16 for the other, so I got time to plan my course of action!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options

You shouldn't necessarily draw your own tattoo. I mean, you can, if you have that ability. But tattoo artists aren't xerox machines - they're artists. Find one that is good, that will work with your idea, and talk to them about it. I can't draw worth ****, but my tattoo artist is amazing.
  • cmsimpson74
    cmsimpson74 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Was thinking of getting a symbolic one on my lower back when I hit 40, and a small one on my hip when I hit goal weight. Have had 4 kids naturally, 2 of those with pelvic problems, if the pain is worse than that maybe I will think again lol. My 9 year old daughter does not approve :laugh:
  • RissaG21
    Options
    I got my first one last year on my birthday, its a butterfly with the words Keep on Believing in Spanish on the inside of my left ankle. It didnt hurt me at all, more like tickled. My room mate got a Lion on his calf and he said that one hurt. It all depends on where you get your tattoo and how big it is. I'm already thinking about my next one I want.
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm up to seven so far, collected over 16 years or so. I suspect I'm probably not done yet lol. Good think the ink doesn't add to body weight :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Love them can't wait for many,many more! Going to get a tattoo is therapeutic for me.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have sixteen hours of ink on me. I've never done flash though - I think about what I want and what it means to me, then I go and talk to the artist. I've found one I like a lot who has done most of my work at this point. We make a consult, I bring her or e-mail her some pictures that are close to what I had in mind, then talk to her about the placement, size, color or not, what's important to me, etc. Then we make an appointment 3-4 weeks later and she'll draw something before then. The day of our appointment we make any changes I want, then get started.

This is my most recent one -
    1382351_623920791198_2043538302_n.jpg

and this is my biggest -

304146_547489105908_1514876768_n.jpg

if you don't mind my asking, where is your artist located? i'm taking a trip to the east coast this summer and i'd really like to get in touch with her. these are amazing.