Tattoos...Almost got one this week

Options

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    4 years ago my hubby got the lines done of a tattoo he drew up (left side, not done well). Just this past August he got the shading done with a different artist. They will be doing something different with the music lines in the background so those weren't touched. Eventually he'll have a half sleeve of music & steampunk themed tattoos.

image_zpsc4ab4edd.jpg

very cool :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have three I got as a teenager, and I would really like to have them gone. If you get one, make sure it's something you're relatively certain you will want to live with forever -- something with meaning.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    first one: California, 18 bday, my sister got me a gift certificate to get a tattoo. I went to the shop with some ideas, talked to the dude who was super helpful, and left with an anchor on my right hip .

2nd one: got in in france 6 months later, had seen a girl with this dandelion tattoo that i fell in love with. Made an appointment by which time the guy was supposed to have come up with a design. When i got there though , nothing was designed so he did it on the spot...luckily he did a good job (dandelion on my left shoulder with seeds going up my neck)

3rd one: 6 months after that, back in california for xmas. my best friend and i wanted to get tatted together. we typed in "symbols" on google and found these "Zibu" symbols, that represent different things. although its some weird "language of the angels" crap we found one that we really liked. a few hours later we went to get it done haha it was impulsive but i have no regrets (on my ankle)

now im planning out my 4th one which im getting with my boyfriend, were designing it together and its going to be based on spiritual (to be distinguished from religious) symbolism , were thinking of doing something with mandalas (sacred geometry)

i love my tattoos and they are also well hidden and in locations that wont stretch or get weird. a lot of people say they recommend waiting 6 months before making up your mind or what not, but the way i see it, the tattoo is a representation of a part of your life. obviously life is in constant motion so maybe it wont apply to you in a few years, but its like a souvenir to remember where you've been :)

oh and depending on the location the pain is not that bad, just like hard scratching. It really depends on the location though, ankle hurt a bit more because its a delicate place, but since the tattoo is small, it was over in a flash.
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are nasty looking. Please don't follow the trend, and get one.

Well aren't you a peach.

LOL!! True story. ;)
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos. 3 of which I got done before I turned 18 and were done well but I don't still necessarily like. I have one in my lip, my shoulder, both wrists and behind my ear. My ear is one of the smallest and probably bothered me the most because it felt like my skull was vibrating the entire time but it was nothing unbearable. With that said, everyone has a different pain tolerance. I've seen tattoos make grown men cry but I think most agree it's worth it in the end if you love your art. I agree with people saying to keep whatever art you want around you for months and make sure its something you want. And definitely do your research on the artist you go to. I don't recommend flash personally because it will lack meaning as you get older but to each their own. If you love it, you love it. Go for it.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ive always looked at the body as an art form and an expression of self

but with my bodybuilding career behind me I always look for other ways to express myself...tattoos are a very real way to do so

But I will absolutely not take the decision lightly..... a controlled, well thought out decision is the only way

just the way I am...i exercise a measure of control, logic and rationality in all areas of my life and decisions I make
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Tattoos are not a trend. Yes, some people get them for the sake of fashion, and that's dumb as heck, but tattoos are an ancient and beautiful art form. Perhaps you should keep your negativity to yourself and not insult a lot of people with your narrow-minded view.

^^^^ I agree Tattoo's can be very beautiful !!! ^^^^
  • steelx3
    Options
    i have 9.

please dont get one out of a book.

any good artist can take a simple rendering or idea from you and make it right. you dont need to "wait till i see it in a book" or "wait till i find it" thats an excuse to not get one and if you do "find" it, its already too late, cause now its in a "book". and you are most likely not the only one to be wearing it.

do your research on your artist, and dont get anything that you are not 100% happy with.

The pain? meh
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Tattoos are not a trend. Yes, some people get them for the sake of fashion, and that's dumb as heck, but tattoos are an ancient and beautiful art form. Perhaps you should keep your negativity to yourself and not insult a lot of people with your narrow-minded view.

Tattoos are most definitely a trend.... I believe that calling them a fad is a better definition. Matter of fact WalMart is selling a tattoo lightening product. Tattoos beauty is in the eye of the tattooed. I am not and do not like them. Want a great bit of investment advice... Tattoo removal parlors.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    They hurt but you won't die. It's ok to pick an idea off the wall but each artist will tweak it a little to your specifics or their particular style. Pinterest actually has some amazing ideas for placement and styles. Take your time choosing what you want and research the artist. You want to love it if you have to look at it everyday.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Skip it.

You don't put a bumper sticker on a Farrari.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    Skip it.

sweetest. comment. ever! :heart:
  • Shmits_
    Shmits_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only have one tattoo but there's at least four more that I want. The tattoo I have is one I thought about getting for about a year. I wanted to make sure I really really wanted it and then one day I decided that was the day so I went to the tattoo shop. First tattoo, didn't even bring anyone with me. It definitely hurt but not as bad as I thought it would.

I freaked out for a second though because the coloring is orange hued red and when he was soaking up the ink I thought it was blood. He saw me look like I was going to pass out so he stopped and got me a glass of water.

I got that tattoo probably about 10 years ago and I still love it. And yes, it's in the tramp stamp position but I think it looks really good there because of how the small of my back dips in and it's a circular shape.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Skip it.

No? I did, and it's awesome. It's not for everyone and if someone "overlooks" me because I have one...whatever makes them happy. If you don't like tats, don't get one. I totally respect that--just as much as I respect the choice to get one.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have 6 and a list a mile long of future ideas.

Just make sure you go to a GOOD artist. If you think you will get a great tattoo for $25 you are mistaken.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    Skip it.

No? I did, and it's awesome. It's not for everyone and if someone "overlooks" me because I have one...whatever makes them happy. If you don't like tats, don't get one. I totally respect that--just as much as I respect the choice to get one.

hmm from what ive noticed some tats can really augment a nice physique...while others detract from it

something to consider as far as tat placement
  • runs4zen
    Options

Just make sure you go to a GOOD artist. If you think you will get a great tattoo for $25 you are mistaken.

True story! Ask to see some of their work. Mine took 6.5 hours, two sittings and 600 bucks.
  • runs4zen
    Options
    Skip it.

hmm from what ive noticed some tats can really augment a nice physique...while others detract from it

something to consider as far as tat placement

totally agree! :flowerforyou:
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

Definitely! Mine is simple but I paid twice as much for it at the shop I went to compared to every shop I checked out and rejected. Totally worth it
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options

Definitely! Mine is simple but I paid twice as much for it at the shop I went to compared to every shop I checked out and rejected. Totally worth it

absolutely agree with paying for quality talent