Tattoos...Almost got one this week

Options

Replies

• LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Everyones pain tolerance is different, but according to everyone who has tattooed me, mine is abnormally high. My first tattoo was on my chest, when I was 17, and I didn't realise the tattooist had begun until he asked me how I was doing. He said I was the best first timer he'd had sit for him, and his client before me was "a body bulding bloke built like a brick sh*thouse who fainted three time having a tattoo the size of a small biscuit done." Just goes to show you can't judge someone's pain tolerance on their appearance! Women are better at being tattooed as we have a naturally high tolerance for pain.

I had the same tattoo covered this year, and except for a few sensitive spots that had me wincing, spent much of the over 2 hours I was there in a meditative state. I find being tattooed to be incredibly relaxing for the most part, though as I practice meditation, I may have an advantage in rising above pain. I also live with a few painful conditions that plague me on a daily basis, so I think that's upped my tolerance too!

So that's two I've had, the other is at the top of my back, over my spine, simple scripture and black paw prints. That was a doddle, considering it was on the spine, but my chest is pretty bony and the only part that really bothered me was by my clavicle and near my armpit (baby skin is a b*tch!)

You don't have to be from a particular culture to be tattooed in their style. I'm planning to get a Polynesian tattoo, a Sak Yant tattoo, and another style I can't recall the name of, because I love art and respect the diversity and beauty of other cultures. To me, tattoos have a spiritual quality to them - not just the experience, but the outcome. I love body art. I think it's beautiful.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    I have sixteen hours of ink on me. I've never done flash though - I think about what I want and what it means to me, then I go and talk to the artist. I've found one I like a lot who has done most of my work at this point. We make a consult, I bring her or e-mail her some pictures that are close to what I had in mind, then talk to her about the placement, size, color or not, what's important to me, etc. Then we make an appointment 3-4 weeks later and she'll draw something before then. The day of our appointment we make any changes I want, then get started.

Honey your tattoos are beautiful! I adore the tree, it's wonderful!
    (I deleted the image links to stop the thread getting too bulky)
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a full sleeve & a half sleeve. Pain around my elbow was brutal - however I never stopped - so clearly bearable.

More then anything getting a tattoo feels obnoxious. That said everyone has different pain tolerance varying from none to tons!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @LadyZephyr - Thank you!

@dynamitegalxo - The studio is Cirque du Rouge in Washington, D.C. (they do tour for some conventions as well). However, Cyn, my artist is the owner of the studio as well and is so busy she's not taking on new clients at the moment.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Can't think of anything to top this... so it's my only one. I'm thinking about getting the background leaves and stuff colored in, though.

slothta2.jpg
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Been throwing around the idea for about 5 yrs or so now and never could decide on something. I figure that means I'm not cut out for tattoos haha.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    Been throwing around the idea for about 5 yrs or so now and never could decide on something. I figure that means I'm not cut out for tattoos haha.

When you find something you like, put the picture in a place you see often - computer background, pinned to your mirror, etc, so you see it all the time. If you aren't sick of it after 6 months - a year, it's a fairly safe choice! People regret tattoos often and there is nothing wrong with changing your mind - we change as people as we grow. I had my first tattoo covered this year.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Good thing you didn't get it if it was just flash. You'd regret it.

ETA: I have 9, all good experiences:)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    One of my exes gave me a tattoo. He was a scratcher, meaning a non-professional. Although he kept his equipment clean, I kind of regret him doing it because it doesn't look so good anymore to me. It also hurt a lot. I want to get another tattoo with my husband. Something to symbolize our new union.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have a tribal on my lower back and a half finished piece on my waist. Not in a hurry to get the other half done though. All of it is original art. Over the ribs was a bit sensitive, otherwise it wasn't too bad.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have sixteen hours of ink on me. I've never done flash though - I think about what I want and what it means to me, then I go and talk to the artist. I've found one I like a lot who has done most of my work at this point. We make a consult, I bring her or e-mail her some pictures that are close to what I had in mind, then talk to her about the placement, size, color or not, what's important to me, etc. Then we make an appointment 3-4 weeks later and she'll draw something before then. The day of our appointment we make any changes I want, then get started.

This is my most recent one -
    1382351_623920791198_2043538302_n.jpg

and this is my biggest -

304146_547489105908_1514876768_n.jpg
    They're awesome! Especially the rabbit.

Got a couple myself, one can be seen in my profile picture. They don't hurt as much as some make out!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

and this is my biggest -

Most of the time I think someone's tattoo looks like a five year old did it, but yours are lovely you can tell you and the artist have spent a lot of thought and time on them
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    2m26eeh.jpg
    2jfzymu.jpg
    hummingbird I painted and had tattooed in no-outline, watercolor style.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Tattoos are nasty looking. Please don't follow the trend, and get one.
  • jennilsf
    Options

A "trend" since ancient times. lol
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    4 years ago my hubby got the lines done of a tattoo he drew up (left side, not done well). Just this past August he got the shading done with a different artist. They will be doing something different with the music lines in the background so those weren't touched. Eventually he'll have a half sleeve of music & steampunk themed tattoos.

image_zpsc4ab4edd.jpg
  • jennilsf
    Options

and this is my biggest -

GORGEOUS!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

That's your opinion and it's not a trend its an art form
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Well aren't you a peach.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options

Tattoos are not a trend. Yes, some people get them for the sake of fashion, and that's dumb as heck, but tattoos are an ancient and beautiful art form. Perhaps you should keep your negativity to yourself and not insult a lot of people with your narrow-minded view.