Extra cals not working despite patience= hmmmm!

Hi guys!

So have been eating more as recommended for weeks month plus(pretty sure under track always remember things items forgot next day and portion size never exact probably bigger than I think)
But honestly am just feeling overfull a lot. Am plateaued at 3 pounds up from my lowest weight(am overall close to goal probably 10 pounds above or less) wondering if eating more is really helpful or not!!!

Hmmmm= any and all shared experience knowledge insight thoughts would be tremendously helpful. You guys are incredibly so. Thank you Sooo much for your feedback
Cheers to you wonderstars :)

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Not sure I understand. Why have you been eating "more?" More than what?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    If your not measuring and weighing and logging everything correctly then I would start there.... If you don't have a handle there then nothing else you do is going to make a difference because you will be just guessing at that point....
  • Thank you. Eating more cals and protein as friends suggested was needed based on my diary.
    I don't have measuring equipment and eat in public with people who wouldn't understand but I do my best based on palm etc size visuals yes
  • Why are you eating more? Were you eating a VLCD before? You are probably not eating at a deficit if you are not losing.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    'Eat more to lose more' is mostly bunk.

It's based on people trusting you when you say "I'm coming in under my calorie goal" and assuming you must be in "starvation mode".

Think about it. When you see famine images on TV, do those affected look like they aren't losing weight due to being in 'starvation mode'? That's right - starvation mode is bunk.

If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a calorie deficit, period.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Thank you. Eating more cals and protein as friends suggested was needed based on my diary.
    I don't have measuring equipment and eat in public with people who wouldn't understand but I do my best based on palm etc size visuals yes

So you're targetting a closer calorie limit to your maintenance level, you don't measure or weigh your foods and suspect your portion sizes are greater than you are logging.

You might just have answered your own question.

What do you think you've got to do to fix it?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    How many calories is "more"?
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Thank you. Eating more cals and protein as friends suggested was needed based on my diary.

If you eat out, a lot of times the restaurant website has their menu listed along with nutrition information that you can use as a guide for better tracking. Often times just guessing will be completely off.

You can still measure lots of things at home without a scale with measuring cups and measuring spoons. It won't work for everything, but it'll help.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    What are your stats? What were you eating? What are you eating now even though you really don't know since you guess at your food calories? Eating more to weigh less only really works if you've been eating a VLCD for an extended period of time and even then I'm not sold on the whole idea.
  • Thanks! I might have been eating a VCLD for years but what do you guys think qualifies calorically speaking?

I'm not very big @ 10lbs from my goal. I probay have been eating 250 more or so and significantly more protein mostly fish some egg whites plain Greek yogurt less berries(sugar).
  • Mokey41
    Thanks! I might have been eating a VCLD for years but what do you guys think qualifies calorically speaking?

I'm not very big @ 10lbs from my goal. I probay have been eating 250 more or so and significantly more protein mostly fish some egg whites plain Greek yogurt less berries(sugar).

Not really helpful information.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Your going to have to open your diary if you want help.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Thanks! I might have been eating a VCLD for years but what do you guys think qualifies calorically speaking?

This doesn't tell us anything, because it is simply comparative to information we don't have.

How many calories were you eating before?
    How many calories are you eating now?
  • stumblinthrulife
    The problem is that if OP isn't accurately measuring, opening her diary isn't going to help anyway. Nor is any information she can give.

The only fact we can rely on is that at current calorie consumption (whatever that may be), she is not losing weight. So the only advice is to either eat less, move more while eating the same amount, or a bit of both.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Also the good versions of more. Like good fats, sugars and proteins. It makes a difference.
  • Thanks guys!
    What is OP?

My goal was 800 now 1200. I've met people on this site who net -1300 frequently it's confusing.
    I was probably netting like 500 before now 800 or so
    Feel self conscious @ opening my diary not sure why....?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Thanks guys!
    What is OP?

My goal was 800 now 1200. I've met people on this site who net -1300 frequently it's confusing.

OP is Original Poster..... You should NEVER net a negative caloric intake period.... Your body needs so many calories just to survive and I can tell you 500 to 800 isn't going to cut it.... How tall are you and what is your current weight?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Thanks guys!
    What is OP?

OP = Original Poster (sometimes Original Post, depending on context). In this case, it's you.

Since we already know it's not accurate, there is little utility to opening your diary in my opinion. It's less about what you eat, and more about how much.

My advice is to start measuring to figure out what your intake really is.

If that's not an option, then start trying to eat less until you show a loss over the period of a few weeks. The 'trial and error' method. Honestly though it's far inferior to proper logging.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    The problem is that if OP isn't accurately measuring, opening her diary isn't going to help anyway. Nor is any information she can give.

The only fact we can rely on is that at current calorie consumption (whatever that may be), she is not losing weight. So the only advice is to either eat less, move more while eating the same amount, or a bit of both.

Agree! Are you exercising much? And logging that at all to see roughly how many calories you are losing also? I have known a few people to try and eat healthier, though they have trouble shifting the weight.. Then I ask them if they are exercising and they honestly don't believe they need to. It kind of goes hand in hand in most cases.
  • Mokey41
    Since you don't really track food accurately, you don't really know you used to eat 800 or that you eat 1200 now. I'd really suggest making an effort to accurately track your food intake for at least a week to get an idea of what you are actually consuming. You may be surprised.