Extra cals not working despite patience= hmmmm!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It's only guesswork at this point unfortunately. You could be eating way too little, or too much, it's impossible to know for sure unless you weigh your food.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Eating more than what?
    Your Height?
    Weight?
    Previous Calorie goal?
    Current goal?
    How much weight to lose?
    Activity level?
    Macros?

ETA: How longer have you been eating at this level? When you increase your calories, it might take some time for body to adjust itself to the change and you might eventually see results. When tracking calories, try to be very accurate, otherwise as others have said, there is no way to know how many calories you are actually eating.
  • I'm very suspicious of the concept of eating more to lose weight. One way or another, to lose weight you need to maintain a running average calorie deficit. If eating more will help you to avoid binge eating, then maybe eating more will help you to achieve an overall calorie deficit. Or, if you feel listless and have a lack of energy, maybe if you eat more you will go through your day doing things a little more energetically, and maybe (but I think that's very iffy) burn more calories than what is contained in the extra food you eat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    1) Buy a scale

2)Use it.

Work out how much you are really eating.

BUT if you really were netting 500 cals a day you may have screwed with your body and need to do a reset to get it back on track.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    I'm very suspicious of the concept of eating more to lose weight. One way or another, to lose weight you need to maintain a running average calorie deficit.

You speak sense.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    [
    I'm very suspicious of the concept of eating more to lose weight. One way or another, to lose weight you need to maintain a running average calorie deficit.

This
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    [

This

Triple this!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Ah, another victim of the "you need to eat more" chorus of saboteurs around here. :grumble:

You need to eat FEWER CALORIES to lose weight. If you aren't losing weight, you're not in "starvation mode"—whatever that is—because a symptom of starvation is LOSING WEIGHT. So, to get off your plateau, you need to eat FEWER CALORIES. In order to eat FEWER CALORIES, you have to know how many calories you're currently eating. Then eat FEWER of them. You'll know when you're eating few enough calories when you start losing weight again. Funny how that works. :glasses:

Also, if something seems to be too good to be true, it generally is. I need to eat more to lose weight! Yippee! :huh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Ah so many people who don't actually understand the concept of "eat more to lose weight" :noway:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Ah so many people who don't actually understand the concept of "eat more to lose weight" :noway:

Agreed..... :drinker:
  • Siansonea

So, the OP needs to eat even MORE calories, is that is? Gee, you'd think every morbidly obese person would be a skinny as a rail, with all the calories they eat. :tongue:
  • CyberEd312

So, the OP needs to eat even MORE calories, is that is? Gee, you'd think every morbidly obese person would be a skinny as a rail, with all the calories they eat. :tongue:

Just because someone is morbidly obese doesn't mean they have to eat a severely restrictive caloric intake to lose weight....
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

Enlighten us.
  • Siansonea

Just because someone is morbidly obese doesn't mean they have to eat a severely restrictive caloric intake to lose weight....

Well, people don't become morbidly obese by eating 1200 calories a day either. You can't break the laws of thermodynamics. :smokin:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

I'm not sure anyone was suggesting that.

What's been said in this thread is that the OP is not tracking. She is also not losing.

What's more likely? That she's eating too little and has some form of metabolic shutdown, or that she's eating too much and just doesn't realize it?

First thought when you hear hoof beats should be horses, not zebras.

The 'eat more' mantra is in my opinion only valid when you have an accurate history of tracking and you can see chronic, severe and harmful caloric deficit.
  • Iron_Feline

Well, people don't become morbidly obese by eating 1200 calories a day either. You can't break the laws of thermodynamics. :smokin:

Good lord, is it really that hard.

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Eat more doesn't mean eating over your maintenance calories - it's about finding a middle ground between stupidly restricting to 1200 when you don't have to.

I'm 5'2 and lose on 1600 a day. I started on 1200 but hated it - so I'm eating more to lose weight.

It's not rocket science - yes of course I can lose on 1200 - but I'll lose muscle and be bloody miserable. Eat more to lose weight is about finding a healthy balance for losing weight that is sustainable for the long term and doesn't screw up your metabolism and cause you to yo-yo diet.

If you don't understand it - then I can't help you.

EDIT - you'll note I told the op to buy and use scales. Tracking correctly first - then work out what works.
  • CyberEd312

What's been said in this thread is that the OP is not tracking. She is also not losing.

What's more likely? That she's eating too little and has some form of metabolic shutdown, or that she's eating too much and just doesn't realize it?

The 'eat more' mantra is in my opinion only valid when you have an accurate history of tracking and you can see chronic, severe and harmful caloric deficit.

I believe that is what I stated early in this thread

"If your not measuring and weighing and logging everything correctly then I would start there.... If you don't have a handle there then nothing else you do is going to make a difference because you will be just guessing at that point.... "
  • Iron_Feline
    OH

Plus the op was eating 800 cals a day - so yeah - I think they should eat more
  • CyberEd312

Good lord, is it really that hard.

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Eat more doesn't mean eating over your maintenance calories - it's about finding a middle ground between stupidly restricting to 1200 when you don't have to.

I'm 5'2 and lose on 1600 a day. I started on 1200 but hated it - so I'm eating more to lose weight.

It's not rocket science - yes of course I can lose on 1200 - but I'll lose muscle and be bloody miserable. Eat more to lose weight is about finding a healthy balance for losing weight that is sustainable for the long term and doesn't screw up your metabolism and cause you to yo-yo diet.

If you don't understand it - then I can't help you.

EDIT - you'll note I told the op to buy and use scales. Tracking correctly first - then work out what works.

This saved me from typing more.... TY
  • Iron_Feline

I believe that is what I stated early in this thread

"If your not measuring and weighing and logging everything correctly then I would start there.... If you don't have a handle there then nothing else you do is going to make a difference because you will be just guessing at that point.... "

I think we're fighting a battle against people who just don't want to understand - the op brought up the eat more as she was only eating 800 cals a day - so upping to 1200 is valid.

And we both said scales and log.

At least we gave the op advice unlike the oooooh "eat more to lose weight is soooooo suspicious it must break the law of thermodynamics crowd"