1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    2400cal/day really works. See?

dd1694e6-9600-4d9f-95ab-c0dd7d7bc47b_zpsf10d875e.jpg

It works for me, so it must be fact for everyone, right? Blanket statements do not work. I maintain on 2,700 calories a day and lose fat on anything less than that. My sedentary TDEE is still 2,000+ calories. 1,200 would NOT work for me.

Instead of making broad statements, how about we attempt to educate people on what WILL work for them? Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet or any other science-backed reading regarding BMR, TDEE and calorie deficits.

I'm wondering what your work out schedule is like :)

I would like to know your workout too! And I'd also like to repeat your suggestion to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Once I finally got fed up enough with cardio and 1500 cals I decided to stop fighting it and trust the information there. It changed my whole life! I just started maintenance at this week at 2300...but I sure am hoping that's going to increase as I progress in the gym. lol
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

It works for me, so it must be fact for everyone, right? Blanket statements do not work. I maintain on 2,700 calories a day and lose fat on anything less than that. My sedentary TDEE is still 2,000+ calories. 1,200 would NOT work for me.

Instead of making broad statements, how about we attempt to educate people on what WILL work for them? Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet or any other science-backed reading regarding BMR, TDEE and calorie deficits.

I would like to know your workout too! And I'd also like to repeat your suggestion to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Once I finally got fed up enough with cardio and 1500 cals I decided to stop fighting it and trust the information there. It changed my whole life! I just started maintenance at this week at 2300...but I sure am hoping that's going to increase as I progress in the gym. lol

She lifts heavy *kitten* at the gym like a bada$$
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going …

I can't speak for others, but for me, the thing that provoked my initial response (it was "no thanks, it's not for me" btw) was not the poster's success. It was the "you should try it" statement in the OP. A lot of people are ragging on those who said "why eat so little when I don't have to" for promoting a one-size-fits-all approach, but those same people are ignoring that the OP did the same thing.

On another note, I would love to see what the OP's success has been in the weeks since she first started this thread. I would love to hear that she's still happy sticking with her plan, and still excited about her weight loss. And no, not so I can beat her down … I don't want to do that. I want to see how it's going (and I'm hoping for something positive!)

Edit: Oops, I got my timeline off, must have been thinking of another thread when I thought this had been going for several weeks. Still, OP, was your last week good, too? Would love to hear :smile:
    My next weigh in is on Monday, I weigh myself weekly and update it. So watch out for my ticker next week. Might surprise you!
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going …

This happens when you have 1) a controversial topic, and 2) an OP who actively bumps the thread when it goes quiet.
    Geez! Can't I thank the people who have been encouraging me without some guy thinking am bumping the thread? Geeeez!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Thanks for asking. My workout schedule is simple......

***Strength train total body 3x per week with barbell and heavy weight. Compounds lifts: barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows. Keeping it between 5-12 reps depending on the program. I recommend Nia Shanks or SL 5x5. I was injured and couldn't lift, so I did bodyweight only consisting of chinups, pushups, inverted rows, single leg (pistol) squats, L sits. Now, I'm doing a hybrid because I enjoy BW and TRX suspension straps so much. So, I'm still doing barbell work, but incorporating more bodyweight lifts as well. I just found what I enjoyed and keep it heavy whether by adding plates or leveraging my own body.

***HIIT via Tabata training (20 secs on, 10 secs rest for 8 rounds) totaling 9 minutes when I have the juice left after strength training. My goal is to finish each session with this, but in reality is is only about once a week.

***I do no other cardio since I'm on my feet alot and walk 10-12k steps per day by just living life.

***I eat TDEE-% depending on my goals...or it might be TDEE+% if I'm working on increasing my strength. My TDEE is around 2700 when I'm training 3x per week. FitBit Flex has helped me figure out these numbers.

BTW, I'm 5'7 3/4 and weight around 158, low 20s BF%.
  • jpost333
    jpost333 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here on the forums. Congratulations on losing the 4 lbs…what works for YOU is success. If banning sugar works for you, ban sugar. It is true that "calories in, calories out" is how this works in the end, but there are strategies that work for each individual. I'm also on 1200 at the moment, and this works for me when I do it. I am petite by build so 1200 for me is not as restrictive as it is for a bigger person. I will be elated if I lose 4 lbs the first week---water or not. Sometimes a little boost in the beginning is what it takes to keep going. Let's encourage one another.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    this is a support site. Lets give this girl the support she needs and the encouragement to continue. GOOD JOB on the first week! I also do 1200 cal a day. I hope this works like it has for you! Keep it up!:smile:

Can someone please explain to me why so many people mistakingly think MFP is a support site?
  • hailbloodymary
    Options
    Support and motivation from people just like you - Our discussion forums let you learn from others, share your own tips, receive and give encouragement, and make friends.

This comes directly from the MFP homepage...
    this is a support site. Lets give this girl the support she needs and the encouragement to continue. GOOD JOB on the first week! I also do 1200 cal a day. I hope this works like it has for you! Keep it up!:smile:

Can someone please explain to me why so many people mistakingly think MFP is a support site?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. To each their own.

No way I could survive on 1200 cals a day myself, I like food too much.

I understand you perfectly.....except surviving and liking food are not really related. If you'd said " I need more calories, because I am tall and burn a lot " that is a good reason to eat more. But just " liking food too much " is what got most of us into trouble in the first place. I got obese because I liked food too much and gained 80 pounds, but at age almost 66 and barely 5 feet, I can easily survive and thrive on 1200 calories. If I would eat what and how much I liked I could easily turn into a blimp again........I have learned that 1200 well planned nutritious calories really are enough for a body of my size and age. I don't deprive myself of quality....I just eat less now....:o). And eating less does not mean that I like food any less.
  • Warmandsunny1
    Options
    Yes!! Love that! "Be gone with your negativity"! You had a great week. I had a great day, am planning on a great week. Thanks for your encouragement.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss. No matter what others say you did great. Lets do it again.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you have that many people hating on your weight loss. Y'all act like she gain 4 pounds.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ok people i am 5'0 and myfitnesspal told me to eat 1200 cals/day.. and its just impossible... waht i do is i make it like 1400-1500 and then i dont eat back my exercise calories.. and that way i am 1200cals/day.. oh and yeah i am losing weight slowly which i like :) and maintained it for two months in which i didnt count my calories.. so yeah it works but 'properly'. u've to be vert careful.. and yeah this is now my life style..i do have a cheat day once a week :) i have been losing weight since 16th may 2013 and maintained my weight in the month of sept and oct therefore my journey is slow:) ..in all i have to lose 52lbs and i have given myself a time period of 1 year :)
    p.s: believe it or not i eat desserts EVERY SINGLE DAY but in a very limited quantitiy..
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    She lost 4lb in one week making a diet change. Hmm not hard. If I switch to Keto right now I'll lose around 5lb and most of it will be water weight.

Can't judge anything after one week, takes weeks/months even years to be in fine tune with your body and what works and what does not.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I just plugged your numbers into the TDEE calculator and with 1 day a week of exercise your TDEE would be a little over 2000 calories and if you took 20% from that for weight loss then you should be losing eating 1600 calories. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and logging???

Yes am doing that. Every little thing i eat, i log on. I made sure i didnt go over 1200. Don't exercise partly because of the weather here in the UK and also coz there would be no one to look after my babies. If ur keen on trying eating 1200cal, please do. Don't want to sound cliche but it does work. I ate salads, chicken and water most of the time. Drank a cup of coffee a day too. I was surprised myself when i lost 4lbs. Because I had not managed to lose that much in a week before.

You know you can workout INSIDE right? Zumba, pilates, exercise bike, treadmill, 30 day shred.... there are billions of YouTube videos... Fitness blender, Blogilaties.

I'm sure your 18 month olds ARE running around, unless they can't walk at all...ten they are active & you should be just as active. I remember 1200 cal, it was ok... but now I workout INSIDE like crazy every day even with a back injury & can eat as much as I like. (Yeah I really can) and I've kept my weight off for over a year now. I just finished a loaf of fruit bread.... a whole loaf. I also had about 4 coffee today (no sugar cause I dont take it in it) and I'm about to have dinner with some full fat cheese & greek yoghurt.

I doubt I'll be under 2000 cals today. I wont put on weight, but I'm sure not making an excuse to NOT workout & NOT eat properly.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yes am doing that. Every little thing i eat, i log on. I made sure i didnt go over 1200. Don't exercise partly because of the weather here in the UK and also coz there would be no one to look after my babies. If ur keen on trying eating 1200cal, please do. Don't want to sound cliche but it does work. I ate salads, chicken and water most of the time. Drank a cup of coffee a day too. I was surprised myself when i lost 4lbs. Because I had not managed to lose that much in a week before.

Have you tried including your kids in exercise? My trainer and his wife have a very young baby and have been suggesting lots of ways to include young children in exercise (including using him as a weight for squats and bench press... which he loves).

At 18 months, I'm assuming that they're walking? Why not stick on one of the kids shows which involve bouncing around to inane music and pretend you're a toddler too? Bouncing around with small children is exercise, that's for sure!
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I just plugged your numbers into the TDEE calculator and with 1 day a week of exercise your TDEE would be a little over 2000 calories and if you took 20% from that for weight loss then you should be losing eating 1600 calories. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and logging???

You know you can workout INSIDE right? Zumba, pilates, exercise bike, treadmill, 30 day shred.... there are billions of YouTube videos... Fitness blender, Blogilaties.

I'm sure your 18 month olds ARE running around, unless they can't walk at all...ten they are active & you should be just as active. I remember 1200 cal, it was ok... but now I workout INSIDE like crazy every day even with a back injury & can eat as much as I like. (Yeah I really can) and I've kept my weight off for over a year now. I just finished a loaf of fruit bread.... a whole loaf. I also had about 4 coffee today (no sugar cause I dont take it in it) and I'm about to have dinner with some full fat cheese & greek yoghurt.

I doubt I'll be under 2000 cals today. I wont put on weight, but I'm sure not making an excuse to NOT workout & NOT eat properly.
    I don't have to expatiate my reason for not exercising but am sure as hell eating properly. So the "Not eat properly" was just you trying to be what? rude?
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I can't believe you have that many people hating on your weight loss. Y'all act like she gain 4 pounds.
    Thank you. And I can see you've lost 165lbs. WAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    well done and you should be proud of yourself because it is an awesome start and this will hopefully encourage you to keep going! Don't worry about the negative people on this forum, just believe in yourself!
  • cmoore1220
    cmoore1220 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ditto
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!