1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You'd have to lock me up if I was eating only 1200 because I would surely kill someone.
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.

I feel like the same way...:(
    I'm confused. You arrived here in 2011 and 2012 and are just getting started?
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.

I feel like the same way...:(
    I'm confused. You arrived here in 2011 and 2012 and are just getting started?

Not that I have to explain myself, but to quell your confusion: Before now, I've only tried doing MFP for about 2 weeks at a time. I did the usual 1200 like most that download the app because I didn't know better. I still have the same old account and am using it, hence the fact it's years old. I would find some other diet and try that, and realize it sucks. I haven't tried dieting all the time, It would only be for a few weeks or months and something would happen and I'd get caught up and eventually quit. Basic story. I'm trying to learn the science of losing weight, how it works, why it works. Not just, don't eat this and you'll lose weight (tried low carb...didn't work for me.) This time I'm taking my time, slowing down and accepting that weight loss is a lifestyle, not a be-all-end-all diet.
    So there you have it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Before now, I've only tried doing MFP for about 2 weeks at a time. I did the usual 1200 like most that download the app because I didn't know better. I still have the same old account and am using it, hence the fact it's years old. I would find some other diet and try that, and realize it sucks. I haven't tried dieting all the time, It would only be for a few weeks or months and something would happen and I'd get caught up and eventually quit. Basic story. I'm trying to learn the science of losing weight, how it works, why it works. Not just, don't eat this and you'll lose weight (tried low carb...didn't work for me.) This time I'm taking my time, slowing down and accepting that weight loss is a lifestyle, not a be-all-end-all diet.
    So there you have it.

High five!!!

I think lots of us have tried all the different ways and until we realize it has to be a lifestyle change and not just a diet or an "until I've reached my goal weight" it just won't work for long term.
  • SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't believe there is so much negativity on here! 4lbs is success, geesh! Quit hatin'. I say congrats, on 1lb or 100. Not everyone can have the same plan.
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. It ensures you burn enough cals also. ????
  • jellybeans37
    jellybeans37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work!! and goodness, I sure will never make a success statement. I can't believe how so many of these posts are just mean. Keep up the work sweet girl and don't let anyone get you down! I am very happy for you. By the way there is a 1200 calorie group, they seem to be a lot nicer.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I also lost on 1200 calories. It can be done. sure

when I hit a weight lower than any weight I had ever had as an adult, I got kinda freaked out tho... so I started lifting weights and doing tdee.

then I kinda went nutso with the eating, I gained 20 lbs... but i'm wearing almost the same size I was at my lowest weight.

something here is going right.....
  • Braz76
    Braz76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wao i think i've come off the wrong foot here. Am not severly restricting myself. I just realised that sugar is quite MY enemy. Doesn't like me at all. But that doesn't mean i dont binge sometimes. I was just strict for one week and it worked for me. Thought I would encourage others to try it as well. Wish I could be you eating some icecream and still watching my weight plummet but my dear after kids the story changes.

I try to aim for 1200 cals, everyday. Even if you go over a little, on your bad days. It's not such a bad thing.

I too have the enemy of sugar. Even if I eat one little bit, I'm like a shark with the smell of blood. I go on a frenzy!! It's like everything I have learnt, everything that I have worked for and what I am aiming for is out the door. I want to eat every sweet thing in range. I'm trying to rework my thinking so dark chocolate and cocoa are now my treats. Baby steps I say.

Good job for celebrating the positives in life :flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I dunno whaddafuq people all up in arms about.

this is what 1200 calories (plus exercise calories) did for me:

25536715_471.jpg
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    :laugh: so much derp...
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

Congrats on your water weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Really: What was your motivation for posting this?

:laugh:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be fat than eat 1200 calories a day.
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congratulations on a great start. That kick start loss will be a good encouragement for you . I know it was for me.

now I would like to share this with you. I think the point people are trying to make is that 1 week is not consistency. I lost 4.3 lbs. my first week on 1450 calories. Because... my body was not used to being regulated in any way. I stayed on 1450 for about 1 and a half months then dropped to 1200 NET. I usually do eat less than 1200 a day just because and I have averaged 1 lb per week since I started. You may find that as the weeks progress you will lose less than that 4 lbs. a week because your body will adjust to your new lifestyle. If you are at a calorie deficit at any number you will lose weight. So yes 1200 does work, but don't be discouraged if the amount you lose levels out around 1 lb per week. It's actually better for you as you will not have to make a drastic change to maintain once you reach goal.

I'm no where near goal, just a fraction over half way there but I know I will get there and when I do I will be able to transition to maintenance because I did it slow and steady.

You do not have to exercise to lose weight but health and fitness go hand in hand so it is better to do some toning and aerobics to improve your overall health rather than just your size.

Wish you all the best friend me if you like, I would love to share in the journey.

CW
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    2400cal/day really works. See?

dd1694e6-9600-4d9f-95ab-c0dd7d7bc47b_zpsf10d875e.jpg

It works for me, so it must be fact for everyone, right? Blanket statements do not work. I maintain on 2,700 calories a day and lose fat on anything less than that. My sedentary TDEE is still 2,000+ calories. 1,200 would NOT work for me.

Instead of making broad statements, how about we attempt to educate people on what WILL work for them? Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet or any other science-backed reading regarding BMR, TDEE and calorie deficits.
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I dunno whaddafuq people all up in arms about.

this is what 1200 calories (plus exercise calories) did for me:

25536715_471.jpg

Wao i am quite encouraged by this! Kudos to you. Hope to be you someday!
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    First of all, Congratulations on a great start. That kick start loss will be a good encouragement for you . I know it was for me.

now I would like to share this with you. I think the point people are trying to make is that 1 week is not consistency. I lost 4.3 lbs. my first week on 1450 calories. Because... my body was not used to being regulated in any way. I stayed on 1450 for about 1 and a half months then dropped to 1200 NET. I usually do eat less than 1200 a day just because and I have averaged 1 lb per week since I started. You may find that as the weeks progress you will lose less than that 4 lbs. a week because your body will adjust to your new lifestyle. If you are at a calorie deficit at any number you will lose weight. So yes 1200 does work, but don't be discouraged if the amount you lose levels out around 1 lb per week. It's actually better for you as you will not have to make a drastic change to maintain once you reach goal.

I'm no where near goal, just a fraction over half way there but I know I will get there and when I do I will be able to transition to maintenance because I did it slow and steady.

You do not have to exercise to lose weight but health and fitness go hand in hand so it is better to do some toning and aerobics to improve your overall health rather than just your size.

Wish you all the best friend me if you like, I would love to share in the journey.

CW
    Hi Cinda. Thanks for the advice. I am definitely gonna be ur friend. Ur weight loss is quite inspirational. Thanks
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    Yes it does work!! and goodness, I sure will never make a success statement. I can't believe how so many of these posts are just mean. Keep up the work sweet girl and don't let anyone get you down! I am very happy for you. By the way there is a 1200 calorie group, they seem to be a lot nicer.
    I would sure love to join the group!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    <
    I eat, see what it does for me. :wink:
  • octogirlpretty
    Options

Before now, I've only tried doing MFP for about 2 weeks at a time. I did the usual 1200 like most that download the app because I didn't know better. I still have the same old account and am using it, hence the fact it's years old. I would find some other diet and try that, and realize it sucks. I haven't tried dieting all the time, It would only be for a few weeks or months and something would happen and I'd get caught up and eventually quit. Basic story. I'm trying to learn the science of losing weight, how it works, why it works. Not just, don't eat this and you'll lose weight (tried low carb...didn't work for me.) This time I'm taking my time, slowing down and accepting that weight loss is a lifestyle, not a be-all-end-all diet.
    So there you have it.

High five!!!

I think lots of us have tried all the different ways and until we realize it has to be a lifestyle change and not just a diet or an "until I've reached my goal weight" it just won't work for long term.
    *high fives back!*
    Thank you very much and I agree! I'm really enjoying myself this time around instead of slogging through it and getting discouraged. I think that's a good sign!:happy:
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    no thx, 120lbs lost never under 1600 calories. Why would I want to be hungry??
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!