1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.

attachment.php?attachmentid=771015&d=1378045060
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't and no I shouldn't. Been there, did that on and off for 20 years and messed up my metabolism, and overall health, quite severely. I finally figured out that I can eat enough AND lose weight. But thanks anyway.
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The thread started with "try it, you'll like it!"

Not, "If you have a medical problem that makes you have a lower than normal BMR". There's a reason those calculators are called "averages." That means it will work for most people. That's why everyone is all excited, not that 1200 isn't right for everyone in the whole world. It is wrong for the VAST majority of healthy people if they want to not lose LBM and maintain their weight loss in a non-life crushing way.

So hey, if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it. Otherwise, maybe you should take advice from people who are and have succeeded? Madness, I know.

Have you even read this thread? Like, the whole thing?

Sure, the first post had "You should try it!" in it, but it got sickeningly out of control after that.

No, everyone shouldn't try 1200 calories, or P90X, or raw food veganism., or a lot of other methods out there. They aren't for everyone. Conversely, it's not your place to tell people that those things shouldn't be attempted by anyone, without knowing their full story. Which is what the vast majority of the people in this thread did, while also resorting to nasty remarks that were out of line IMO.

But someone who does try those things within reason shouldn't automatically be assumed to be "doin' it wrong" and will crash and burn.

The point I was trying to make is that 1200 is great for SOME PEOPLE, and EVERY TIME someone says they eat 1200 on these forums, everyone ignores every logical reason someone can sensibly eat 1200 and start spouting BS about hair falling out and failure.

Who knows, maybe OP saw all those 1200 threads go into flames, tried it herself, had success, and felt the need to un-demonize it. I don't agree with the phrasing of her original post but I also don't think her hair is going to fall out or think her children's activity level has anything to do with anything that's my business, unlike a lot of people on here.

Also, I was speaking about extraneous issues that makes someone very sedentary, you can be perfectly healthy yet very inactive with a TDEE that reflects that. My point is there are reasons certain people would need to eat around 1200 to lose, and that it would not kill them. If OP is short and sedentary, this thread shouldn't be 10 pages of "OMG UR GONNA FAIL AND DIE!!!11"

Also, thanks for being a perfect example of that self-righteous tone I was talking about.
    So hey, if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it. Otherwise, maybe you should take advice from people who are and have succeeded? Madness, I know.

Do you even know anything about me? Who are you even addressing like that? Look at my ticker. I've been at this for years and haven't gained all my weight back or... crushed my life or whatever you just said. You don't know what I eat, what my physical activity is always like, exactly how much I eat, my physical circumstances. You don't know any of that. So exactly what makes you or anyone on here qualified to say stuff like "if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it"? Like... who's failing here, exactly?

I've succeeded quite nicely, thanks for the support and caring.

Congrats on your loss.

Also, I'm wary of taking advice from random internet people, because their methods aren't necessarily right for everyone on planet earth. And yes, this includes the OP, who I don't agree with 100% but have enough restraint to not phrase it like an a-hole. I don't pretend to be a medical professional or expert on nutrition/weight loss and tell others what they should be doing because I lost 37 pounds doing what worked for me personally. I can give anecdotal advice if they ask for it, but I'm not going to tell them to their face that they are going to fail and make hurtful nasty remarks to try and make myself feel smart and superior.
    hahaha I love you sybrix. And the part where you said"op is short and sedentry ", I almost fell off my chair with laughter. Xx
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Do you even know anything about me? Who are you even addressing like that? Look at my ticker. I've been at this for years and haven't gained all my weight back or... crushed my life or whatever you just said. You don't know what I eat, what my physical activity is always like, exactly how much I eat, my physical circumstances. You don't know any of that. So exactly what makes you or anyone on here qualified to say stuff like "if you want to keep doing that same thing over and over and continue to fail, have at it"? Like... who's failing here, exactly?

I've succeeded quite nicely, thanks for the support and caring.

From your own profile page:
    This year so far I've been slipping, and gained back up to 145.5. So I'm determined to finish what I started and get down to a healthy 125 lbs

lol

I was actually waiting for someone to try and pick apart my profile or past posts on here. I know some of you love doing that!

That was a 3 lb gain, FYI. Ermagerd I'm such a failure! I've since lost that + 4 more lbs. I'm doing pretty great right now, losing consistently and feeling good.

I've never weighed myself weekly when I wrote that, and find my weight fluctuates by as much as 5 lbs depending on TOM and water weight. So when I originally typed that, I can't even be sure what those 3 lbs really were, nor do I care.

So yep, I'm still quite successful in my journey. Thanks for your support and caring though, and congrats on your loss too, AverageUkDude. :smile:

Anyone else? ;)
    [/quote)
    yes? Anyone else? Hahaha.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Who the heck needs soap operas when you have MFP Community forums! ^.^

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

real-genius-popcorn-o.gif
  • IHateStarving
    Options
    didn't ever work for me.. :(
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I lost about 35lbs on 1200 a day. I gained it all back pretty quick because I couldn't maintain it.

This is what I don't understand (and NEVER pondered until I gained back a good portion of weight too)

How can a person eat 1200 calories a day (usually a huge deficit unless you are already small) and then UP your calories and expect to keep the weight off?

So you confused your body, got it used to eating a little bit of food and now you're going to introduce more? What do YOU think happens? I KNOW what happens!

right? I think that is where maintenance comes in to play. So say some one burns 2000 calories a day on average. They would usually eat around 1500-1750 calories for a healthy deficit. Once they reach their goal weight and start maintaining the would then eat 2000 calories a day to maintain their weight. It's when you start eating progressively at a surplus that you gain. Of course this is over simplified and a lot of factors come in to play like your average burns may differ so your intake/outtake would have to balance out on an average. There in lies the problem with eating at such a large deficit when dieting. When you go back to eating a healthy amount of calories you end up being in a surplus because you haven't taken the time to understand just active you are and how large this deficit is on 1200 calories.
  • Perseverance10910
    Perseverance10910 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Errrr, give the girl a break! She is happy this week, or at least was until people started to jump down her throat.. She will adjust accordingly as she moves forward if necessary I am sure.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

real-genius-popcorn-o.gif

KENT!!!! lol...LOVE that movie!!!!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Oh lord...

125719.gif
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    haha for real. 12 pages of hate'n.lol
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm out there is no cauliflower in this thread:sad: :sad:
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, just do what is right for you ! simples :flowerforyou:
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Ahh shucks the 1200 calorie cult is still kicking?
  • naverra2001
    Options
    Totally agree! The first few pounds are the ones that encourage you to keep going.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Some of you people seem absolutely miserable. Some of us are just getting started learning the "science" of weight loss and may make some mistakes, but the way some of you respond makes me not even wanna post my progress, ask questions or ask for advice, smh. There is a lot of useful information in this thread but I wish some people weren't so arrogant and "all knowing" in their responses.

I know what you mean ugghhh like loosing the weight and learning "everything" gives them the right to be an *kitten*. They started off not knowing everything otherwise they wouldnt need to be on this site to begin with

Huh?

:huh:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I know what you mean ugghhh like loosing the weight and learning "everything" gives them the right to be an *kitten*. They started off not knowing everything otherwise they wouldnt need to be on this site to begin with

Huh?

:huh:
    qOjENhs.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I feel like the same way...:(
    I'm confused. You arrived here in 2011 and 2012 and are just getting started?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    haha for real. 12 pages of hate'n.lol

1045236_10103307619930020_1795112127_n_zps4729ed87.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!