1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• carissas13
    carissas13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im ne to this and I usually lose my willpower within a week....anyone got any advice for me? thank u xx
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to go through all of the posts, but you most likely lost water weight. Good luck - hopefully your success continues
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through this thread as the negativity of some people makes me sick. Somebody's tentative steps toward good health are perhaps the biggest success of all.

If you feel good about any positive change in your life, to the extent that you want to continue the next day - then good for you! Congratulations.

And if for whatever reason we lapse - get up, dust yourself off and go again!

I propose when this happens over and over again that one reevaluate if the approach is appropriate.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice for beginners:

Don't starve yourself. Instead, fill yourself up on healthy, nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains.

I snack on celery and salsa (great VERY low calorie snack!) and baby carrots with hummus (just be careful of portion size). I also drink Club Soda (zero calorie and no sodium) to help curb my appetite with dinner. Tea is great too!!

I hope this helps! Let your body adjust to the change in diet first, then be more conscious of calories. That's my advice, but works differently for everyone.

Good luck!
  • carissas13
    Options
    thank u hope it helps me x
  • nm212
    Options
    You're welcome. You have to start somewhere :).
  • carissas13
    Options
    You're welcome. You have to start somewhere :).

exactly and ive become very insecure and don't go out anymore due to being really over weight n there is only me that can do something
  • chrissiejean54
    Options
    I am also in the UK and we are advised that to maintain a healthy weight our daily calories should be 2000 a day and to lose weight we should have 1000-1200 a day .Years ago I used to diet on 1000 calories but now I'm older I am happier on 12000. So good luck with your dieting and congratulations on losing 4lbs.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

By the way each loss, no matter how small should be celebrated and ENCOURAGED. So be gone with your sarcasm and negativity

Totally agree with this^^ Everyone should be supportive, not discouraging. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice for beginners:

Don't starve yourself. Instead, fill yourself up on healthy, nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables and whole grains.

I snack on celery and salsa (great VERY low calorie snack!) and baby carrots with hummus (just be careful of portion size). I also drink Club Soda (zero calorie and no sodium) to help curb my appetite with dinner. Tea is great too!!

I hope this helps! Let your body adjust to the change in diet first, then be more conscious of calories. That's my advice, but works differently for everyone.

Good luck!
    I didnt starve myself. I actually did eat healthy and tried not to exceed 1200cal. Granted it wasn't easy. But I'll try snacking on carrots as you suggested. Thanks for the advice
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I haven't read through this thread as the negativity of some people makes me sick. Somebody's tentative steps toward good health are perhaps the biggest success of all.

If you feel good about any positive change in your life, to the extent that you want to continue the next day - then good for you! Congratulations.

I propose when this happens over and over again that one reevaluate if the approach is appropriate.

I'm sure most of us have tried different approaches, what makes you think people havent? Is it you "personally" just don't like this approach?

Are you at your goal weight? Have you ever had to embark on a get healthier weight loss battle? If so how many years? Have you ever let stress take over? Do you find food addictive like some do, thus triggering a "lapse"?

Have to really take into account that everyone is different, everyones lives are also different. Some get stressed and stop eating, some get stressed and comfort themselves with food. Some get really addicted to food. Some just feel unworthy to feel good about themselves, some have hardly any motivation, some have moderate, and some hard just hard core steady. Everyones willpower differs. Everyones brains work differently. Metabolisms also vary...it is simple to lose, eat less than you burn, but as for a magic number?? meh if a person can't tell by how they are feeling and listen to their own bodies as to if its adequate at 1200, or 2000 then I think theres a bigger problem than just needing to lose weight.

Its never as easy as just saying "well this worked for me so you must do what worked for me in order to have any sucess at all" Its not for anyone on here be it they have already met their goals, or not to judge another making a attempt to get healthier. Let people learn on their own what works for their bodies, Its their body. If you don't like their method so be it, continue doing whatever it is you do.
    Amen!
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

By the way each loss, no matter how small should be celebrated and ENCOURAGED. So be gone with your sarcasm and negativity

Totally agree with this^^ Everyone should be supportive, not discouraging. Congrats on your loss so far!
    Thank you
  • nm212
    Options
    I didn't mean to imply that you were starving yourself on 1200 calories a day! Sorry if it sounded it that way! I was just talking in general...that it's hard to stick with a diet when you are hungry!!!! I find it much easier to fill up on healthy things so that when you do get cravings, you have more control! Best of luck to you! You are doing great! Congrats on the weight loss Belindanjumo!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm sure most of us have tried different approaches, what makes you think people havent? Is it you "personally" just don't like this approach?

Are you at your goal weight? Have you ever had to embark on a get healthier weight loss battle? If so how many years? Have you ever let stress take over? Do you find food addictive like some do, thus triggering a "lapse"?

Have to really take into account that everyone is different, everyones lives are also different. Some get stressed and stop eating, some get stressed and comfort themselves with food. Some get really addicted to food. Some just feel unworthy to feel good about themselves, some have hardly any motivation, some have moderate, and some hard just hard core steady. Everyones willpower differs. Everyones brains work differently. Metabolisms also vary...it is simple to lose, eat less than you burn, but as for a magic number?? meh if a person can't tell by how they are feeling and listen to their own bodies as to if its adequate at 1200, or 2000 then I think theres a bigger problem than just needing to lose weight.

Its never as easy as just saying "well this worked for me so you must do what worked for me in order to have any sucess at all" Its not for anyone on here be it they have already met their goals, or not to judge another making a attempt to get healthier. Let people learn on their own what works for their bodies, Its their body. If you don't like their method so be it, continue doing whatever it is you do.

I'm simply saying that if people continue taking the same approach and ultimately meet with an unsuccessful outcome, that it may be more than just a matter of willpower and commitment. It may be that the approach itself is flawed for them.

I often hear people credit an approach for their early successes but then blame themselves, life circumstances, some external factor, etc. for their inability to stick with it. What if the fault actually lies in the approach itself? Isn't it more humane to suggest that people consider that and not that they just need to try harder next time?

I encourage anyone who has tried many times (and ultimately failed to stick with it each time) to give that some thought.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Glad you found what works for you. As a certified health coach I tell my clients to find what works for them. I hope the 1200 calories are filled with nutritious filling foods! It's more than losing weight, its about looking and feeling good! That starts with excellent nutrition.

10885.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jenkile
    jenkile Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Really sad to see so many people being so negative. Week one is still one of my favorite "success stories"- the fact that anyone gets started and feels good about their loss should be celebrated! My first week (and several there after) was set at 1200 calories. I adjust it ever month or so depending on what is going on in my life. I figured out what will work and you will too! Congrats on a great beginning and hope you have many more successful weeks!
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When people say they are eating 1200 calories do most mean they are netting that or are they eating that before exercise?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When people say they are eating 1200 calories do most mean they are netting that or are they eating that before exercise?

It can mean either. The terms 'gross' and 'net' often get missed off. Much of the time, people are actually eating 1,200 net and actually eating nearer 1,500 - 1,600 cals.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options

What a miserable and horrible thing to say to someone who has just started their weight loss journey and is celebrating some initial success.

OP - ignore people like the above, they do not understand all the reasons for losing weight. 1,200 is not for everyone, but it worked for me to get me started, I lost about 10lbs on 1,200 cals and am now up to probably 1,500/600 a day and maintaining/losing a little. Don't go below 1,200 but if its working for you keep going. And congrats on the first 4lbs! I found those initial pounds really encouraging and helped me keep going
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is definitely a divisive subject, but I only lose when I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I try to stick close to 1200. I am 5' 2.5". I maintain my weight at 1400 calories & start to gain if I consistently eat over that. I generally don't exercise much--I go through stages where I will try to exercise more but I have a hard time adjusting my calories with it & I have such a fear of regaining that if I see a consistent gain over a couple of weeks I will stop exercising & go back to eating what works for me. My plan is to get to my goal weight & then maybe look for a trainer that will help me learn how to lift weights. I tried asking my nutritionist how many calories I should add with exercise--the eat back 1/2 your calories formula just doesn't work for me, and she was not very helpful. She recommended I join this exercise group at the center where she worked (another $40 per month) & I didn't want to do that when I'm already paying for a family membership at the YMCA. Only you can figure out what works for you & you should celebrate any success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!