1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

By the way each loss, no matter how small should be celebrated and ENCOURAGED. So be gone with your sarcasm and negativity

Totally agree with this^^ Everyone should be supportive, not discouraging. Congrats on your loss so far!
    Thank you

I refuse to support a 1200 calorie a day diet for someone who coud and should be eating a lot more...it will lead to failure and it is not healthy. I don't care how much success they have initially....because in 1month or 2 months they will be back saying help I couldn't maintain that or I have stopped losing or AMG my hair is falling out etc
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is definitely a divisive subject, but I only lose when I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I try to stick close to 1200. I am 5' 2.5". I maintain my weight at 1400 calories & start to gain if I consistently eat over that.

You don't SEE the CRAZINESS of ONLY being able to MAINTAIN weight at 1400 calories????? There's something wrong with that! SERIOUSLY!

ETA - just seen that you had gastrectomy - that's a whole different 'diet' there.
    A person who didn't have the surgery should not have a 1400 calorie maintenance level. I have no idea how that surgery maintenance works
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is definitely a divisive subject, but I only lose when I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I try to stick close to 1200. I am 5' 2.5". I maintain my weight at 1400 calories & start to gain if I consistently eat over that.

You don't SEE the CRAZINESS of ONLY being able to MAINTAIN weight at 1400 calories????? There's something wrong with that! SERIOUSLY!

ETA - just seen that you had gastrectomy - that's a whole different 'diet' there.
    A person who didn't have the surgery should not have a 1400 calorie maintenance level. I have no idea how that surgery maintenance works

I don't know what the VSG has done to my metabolism. I do know that I can eat within that calorie level without the crushing hunger I had before the surgery. I don't think that maintaining at 1400 calories is crazy. When I run my numbers through the Scooby calculator with my current weight & age (41) I get a BMR=1343, TDEE=1611, & 20% calorie reduction=1289. If I change the weight to 130 (well within normal for my height of 5' 2.5"), I get a TDEE=1464. I just don't think that anyone can claim that these calculations are so spot on that a 200 calorie swing is outside the realm of possibility. For some people, 1200 calories is a valid number of calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

By the way each loss, no matter how small should be celebrated and ENCOURAGED. So be gone with your sarcasm and negativity

Totally agree with this^^ Everyone should be supportive, not discouraging. Congrats on your loss so far!
    Thank you

I refuse to support a 1200 calorie a day diet for someone who coud and should be eating a lot more...it will lead to failure and it is not healthy. I don't care how much success they have initially....because in 1month or 2 months they will be back saying help I couldn't maintain that or I have stopped losing or AMG my hair is falling out etc

THIS!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the VSG has done to my metabolism. I do know that I can eat within that calorie level without the crushing hunger I had before the surgery. I don't think that maintaining at 1400 calories is crazy. When I run my numbers through the Scooby calculator with my current weight & age (41) I get a BMR=1343, TDEE=1611, & 20% calorie reduction=1289. If I change the weight to 130 (well within normal for my height of 5' 2.5"), I get a TDEE=1464. I just don't think that anyone can claim that these calculations are so spot on that a 200 calorie swing is outside the realm of possibility. For some people, 1200 calories is a valid number of calories.

If you are totally sedendary and minus 20% but let's be realistic -20% if you are that small is not good. Trying to lose 2lbs a week when you only have 5-10 is not good.

I did my sisters for her to prove the same point

Here TDEE with her exercise is 2021....to lose 1/2lb a week she should eat 1819...

argument null and void as losing that fast is not healthy.
  • sandkrain
    sandkrain Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your wonderful success AND maintenance. How many calories do you eat/day??
  • pearsol
    Options
    good for you, I think 4 lbs is sucess and helps you realize you can do it.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

But if your TDEE is 1611 - you should be able to eat 1611 and not gain weight. That would be your maintenance level. But you said that you gain as soon as you eat over 1400 calories - see the problem?
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

But if your TDEE is 1611 - you should be able to eat 1611 and not gain weight. That would be your maintenance level. But you said that you gain as soon as you eat over 1400 calories - see the problem?

I guess what I'm saying is that it is not an exact science & that the calculators should be used as a guide & not taken as the be all end all in fact. They give a good starting point but they may still need to be adjusted depending on the person.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Thank you

YES! Sure we could go through and pat every one on the back for their irresponsible behavior but it's not doing them any good. All I want to say to you 1200 calories eaters is, if you when you gain your weight back take a serious look at why and understand it's because 1200 calories a day is not sustainable!
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is that it is not an exact science & that the calculators should be used as a guide & not taken as the be all end all in fact. They give a good starting point but they may still need to be adjusted depending on the person.

I could kiss you. In a not creepy way.

My mom is over 60, 4'11 and has no cartilage in her knees. She can barely walk. Even at 40-50 years old, if I punch her data into most TDEE calculators her maintenance calories are close to 1400. People around 5 feet tall exist in the world. Their smaller bodies need less fuel than someone who is taller. The shorter you are, the less you need to eat. The more elderly you are, the less you need to eat. The more sedentary you are, the less you need to eat.

Some people are sedentary at any age because THEY ARE PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO DO EXERCISE. Not everyone on this journey is under 40 with a perfectly functioning body. Granted the OP is not disabled, but my mother is and if she came on these boards without explaining her situation, which she shouldn't have to on a weight loss support board, and got jumped on by you judgmental "gurus", I'd be livid for sending her here for support.

I'm a little taller than my mother. My sedentary TDEE (NOT my BMR, but my actual TDEE) is estimated by these non-concise online calculators to be around 1600 to maintain. I do not exercise daily, some days I am mostly sedentary. I don't even need to explain further than that to justify myself, neither did the OP. I don't need to answer questions about how active my theoretical child is so internet strangers who know nothing about me can pass judgment on whether my lifestyle is healthy. If I did choose to eat 1200 a day, you people seriously think a 300-400 calorie deficit on days I don't work out and sit on my *kitten* all day is going to make my hair fall out in 2 months? Have you people even seen what an actual starving person looks like and what they eat?

I think it's sad that someone IMMEDIATELY gets judged and scrutinized as soon as they drop the 1200 bomb. OP mentions she has twins, and you people immediately pick that apart and make assumptions based on ONE SENTENCE she typed about them about their activity level and how that relates to how much this random person you know nothing about should eat.

1200 a day is not healthy for everyone, but it is not going to kill everyone who eats that amount and is actually sensible and healthy for certain heights, ages, and activity levels. I like how there's mostly no concern or compassion in 10 pages of this BS, but just judgment, bickering, splitting hairs, and this self-righteous "Just wait... you'll fail eventually. Have fun starving to death and your hair falling out while my completely different body and lifestyle eats more than you do!" tone.

So now that I got my hangry rant off my chest, congrats on the loss OP! Hope you find a successful and healthy path that you can stick with and enjoy. It's a long journey and don't get discouraged by the various speed bumps you'll encounter along the way. :smile:
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I could kiss you. In a not creepy way.

My mom is over 60, 4'11 and has no cartilage in her knees. She can barely walk. Even at 40-50 years old, if I punch her data into most TDEE calculators her maintenance calories are close to 1400. People around 5 feet tall exist in the world. Their smaller bodies need less fuel than someone who is taller. The shorter you are, the less you need to eat. The more elderly you are, the less you need to eat. The more sedentary you are, the less you need to eat.

Some people are sedentary at any age because THEY ARE PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO DO EXERCISE. Not everyone on this journey is under 40 with a perfectly functioning body. Granted the OP is not disabled, but my mother is and if she came on these boards without explaining her situation, which she shouldn't have to on a weight loss support board, and got jumped on by you judgmental "gurus", I'd be livid for sending her here for support.

I'm a little taller than my mother. My sedentary TDEE (NOT my BMR, but my actual TDEE) is estimated by these non-concise online calculators to be around 1600 to maintain. I do not exercise daily, some days I am mostly sedentary. I don't even need to explain further than that to justify myself, neither did the OP. I don't need to answer questions about how active my theoretical child is so internet strangers who know nothing about me can pass judgment on whether my lifestyle is healthy. If I did choose to eat 1200 a day, you people seriously think a 300-400 calorie deficit on days I don't work out and sit on my *kitten* all day is going to make my hair fall out in 2 months? Have you people even seen what an actual starving person looks like and what they eat?

I think it's sad that someone IMMEDIATELY gets judged and scrutinized as soon as they drop the 1200 bomb. OP mentions she has twins, and you people immediately pick that apart and make assumptions based on ONE SENTENCE she typed about them about their activity level and how that relates to how much this random person you know nothing about should eat.

1200 a day is not healthy for everyone, but it is not going to kill everyone who eats that amount and is actually sensible and healthy for certain heights, ages, and activity levels. I like how there's mostly no concern or compassion in 10 pages of this BS, but just judgment, bickering, splitting hairs, and this self-righteous "Just wait... you'll fail eventually. Have fun starving to death and your hair falling out while my completely different body and lifestyle eats more than you do!" tone.

So now that I got my hangry rant off my chest, congrats on the loss OP! Hope you find a successful and healthy path that you can stick with and enjoy. It's a long journey and don't get discouraged by the various speed bumps you'll encounter along the way. :smile:
    This is the best post ever! Thank you so much .
  • jenniferpiedrahita
    Options
    I agree with you, It doesn't matter how small our accomplishments are. That lady can come back with her negative comments when someone gives a crap. on another note, congrats! I just started the same calorie diet and im excited to see it work! =)
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs in a week eating only one grape a day. It's called the grape diet you should check it out! Just one grape can change your life!
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I lost about 35lbs on 1200 a day. I gained it all back pretty quick because I couldn't maintain it.
  • gamergirl180
    Options

Yes! You tell 'em!
  • letsdothis180
    letsdothis180 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Better to have made the effort and failed, having gained the knowledge to try again than to have done nothing at all to change your situation. Some of us are in such a rut, the only future that we know we can deal with is tomorrow.Great you have made time to research and plan, butt some just have to take action to get the ball rolling.
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good for you !!!! And for the lady that said come back when you are at goal smh!!!! That is a rotten thing to say people need encouragement to keep going! And she could have kept her rude comment to herself shame on her !!! Come back any time you want praise and come back when you hit goal too and I will praise you EACH AND EVERYTIME!!!!! each time WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! :) LOL
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!