1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• Rawfoodsho
    Options
    When I was eating a bunch of sweets I put on weight, but that is because baked and processed goods with sugar generally have loads of calories. The more sweets I ate, the hungrier I was and the more I craved sugary foods. I don't know if this is a normal reaction or not, but it became way too normal for me. I also have a lot of diabetes in my bloodline so that's another reason for me to limit the sugar intake.

No you put on weight because you ate more calories than you burned. Nothing more.

Yes but sugar does induce in the brain a need and WANT for more. Sugar can be very addicting. The other user said that baked and processed goods generally have loads of calories, this is true, as well as empty white carbs. Sure its true that you can eat 1200 calories of gummy bears and lose weight because its calories in calories out, but you may still end up with diabetes.
    This person is right though, typically the more sweets people eat the more they crave them. Oh self control? Yeah that one little Oreo really hit the spot... I used to drink a 12 pack of pepsi a day when I stopped I went cold turkey, none of this "rewarding" myself crap people talk about.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    I was eating about 2000calories. But i live a sedentry life for now. Was only walking about once a week.

well that's why, you went from eating like a heffer to pretty much restricting. not rocket science.

2000 calories is hardly eating like a "heffer" classy choice of words.

I think 2k calories is a lot if you are NOT working out. So its odd when 120 pound chicks are eating 2300 calories a day and claiming to lose weight or maintain.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I was eating about 2000calories. But i live a sedentry life for now. Was only walking about once a week.

well that's why, you went from eating like a heffer to pretty much restricting. not rocket science.

I think 2k calories is a lot if you are NOT working out. So its odd when 120 pound chicks are eating 2300 calories a day and claiming to lose weight or maintain.

the post I was quoting said nothing about exercise. It was aimed strickly at those who actually eat, a person who burns 2500 calories a day at an active job can eat 2000 calories a day with out exercising and still drop weight.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

the post I was quoting said nothing about exercise. It was aimed strickly at those who actually eat, a person who burns 2500 calories a day at an active job can eat 2000 calories a day with out exercising and still drop weight.
    People do not burn the same. This calorie in calorie out thing is competently flawed.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    it really does work i lost 2 and a half stone on a 1200 cl diet in a couple of months with no exercise at all, its not working right now though.. need to stop drinking lots of coffee me thinks :/
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

People do not burn the same. This calorie in calorie out thing is competently flawed.

Yeah, science - completely flawed :laugh:

You are so funny with you're completely incorrect comments.

I eat sweets - they don't make me crave more. I am satisfied with a nice portion of ice cream, I don't feel the need to eat the entire tub (though I have done in the past, planned of course :wink:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How does the fact that people do not burn the same negate CICO?
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options

0_O Yes, people dont burn the same. But, a highly active 120lb person can burn well over 2000 calories a day with out exercise no problem. Therefore they can still lose weight eating upwords of 2000 calories a day. the previous statement is way to simplified. It said specifically, that they dont see how a 120lb person can lose weight off a 2000 calories diet and im saying its not only possible but happens all the time. Are their exceptions, sure, but im not the one who said its impossible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Claiming? Are they lying?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    When I was eating a bunch of sweets I put on weight, but that is because baked and processed goods with sugar generally have loads of calories. The more sweets I ate, the hungrier I was and the more I craved sugary foods. I don't know if this is a normal reaction or not, but it became way too normal for me. I also have a lot of diabetes in my bloodline so that's another reason for me to limit the sugar intake.

No you put on weight because you ate more calories than you burned. Nothing more.

Yes but sugar does induce in the brain a need and WANT for more. Sugar can be very addicting. The other user said that baked and processed goods generally have loads of calories, this is true, as well as empty white carbs. Sure its true that you can eat 1200 calories of gummy bears and lose weight because its calories in calories out, but you may still end up with diabetes.
    This person is right though, typically the more sweets people eat the more they crave them. Oh self control? Yeah that one little Oreo really hit the spot... I used to drink a 12 pack of pepsi a day when I stopped I went cold turkey, none of this "rewarding" myself crap people talk about.

What is an 'empty carb"?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

It is not completely flawed when you take into account the individual's statistics like LBM, activity level, current weight, height, etc. It's actually a very useful tool when used correctly.

Saying it's completely flawed is just overgeneralized nonsense.
  • brower47
    Options

What is an 'empty carb"?

One that's been hollowed out, duh.

(I thought everyone knew how to science.)

:wink:
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to take control of your diet! Your first week has been a successful start but personally, like lots of others, would advise you to set your daily limit a bit higher, maybe 1400?
    You posted (somewhere, way back in this marathon thread) that this is your first diet, well, I've been dieting off and on since my eldest son was born in 1993, until this year always using restrictive low calorie diets of 1000 -1200 calories a day, or restrictive low carbs or restrictive low fat. They do work, of course they do! I have lost 7/10/12lb every time BUT then the honeymoon is over, you start to cheat (just a little, just this once) and then all of a sudden it's over, the big bad over eating is back and the lost weight is re-gained with a few extra pounds as well. Then I joined this site earlier this year, put in my numbers and found that I'm allowed 1400 calories a day. I have maintained a 500 calorie a day deficit since June, I have not felt deprived and I have lost at least a pound a week, in total I have lost about 26lb in less than 5 months. You only have 30lb to lose, you've lost 4lb, if lose a pound a week from now then it'll all be gone by the end of next spring!
    If you can squeeze a bit of exercise in as well, so much the better - but I hear what you say, when my boys were small I just used to collapse when they were asleep!
    Well done on a good start, keep using this site, it may not feel so friendly today but it is so helpful - honestly! Good luck :wink:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Im doing the 1200 calorie diet and heres why, Im good at maintaining, but Im not good at losing, I lost 30lbs on WW and kept it off for a long time, the only reason I gained it back was because I was no longer in control of whats in my cupboard, I had to move in with my parents and all that stuff that I started having in moderation, was now around more than it was before, and because of that I went back to eating what I wanted completely and gaining the weight back....

Now Im doing the trim body system, and they have me on 1200 calories a day, and my thought is that I restrict myself so that my stomach gets used to the smaller amount of food, and then eventually I don't have to restrict myself as much because I don't want to eat 5 cookies, Im satisfied with one. Im not trying to maintain forever on 1200 calories, Im just trying to get used to the smaller amounts and then I wont want as much.

No you gained the weight back because you had no self control. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    Options

Flawed how?
    tumblr_inline_mh07wcxcR41qhyo98.gif
  • randomtai
    Options
    it really does work i lost 2 and a half stone on a 1200 cl diet in a couple of months with no exercise at all, its not working right now though.. need to stop drinking lots of coffee me thinks :/

Any deficit in calories will cause you to lose weight.
  • glennoxyoung
    Options
    I stick to 1200 a day too. I've lost 35lbs in 5 months. But I'm 55!! Anyway, I'm more than satisfied with this and I've recently increased my walking a lot too and try to do at least 30 mins a day and 3-4 times a week 1.5 hours. I feel GREAT!!!
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

well aren't you miss sunshine
  • brower47
    Options
    Can't judge success after one week. Come back when you have been at your goal and on maintenance for at least a year.

well aren't you miss sunshine

This is a factual statement. How would you sugar coat it without making it any less factual?
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Unlike a good amount of the people that have posted on this.. I want to say great work! Even though its a week in it proves that it can be done just by controlling what goes into your body, keep it up and you will be well on your way to your goal :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!