1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A copy and paste from another thread to put severe calorie deficits into perspective...

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but to make it happen I would drill microscopic holes in your bones, so they would be a little more fragile, would you do it?

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but in exchange your metabolic process would slow down, so you would take longer to recover from illness and burn fewer calories each day, would you do it?

If i told you I could cut your weight, but in doing so you would probably experience long term damage to organs that may or may not amount to anything, would you risk it?

If I told you I could lower your weight, but you would have to give up some cognitive ability instead, would you do it?

Probably not. At least, I hope not. All of these things and more is what happens if you don't eat enough food. It won't happen in one week. It may not even happen in a month. But keep it up, and it will happen.

OP I am sure you will find the right balance as you do not seem opposed to advice.

By the way congrats to your 12kg lost. What won't i give to be in your shoes. But seriously I don't want to have all the above. But I am utterly convinced i am not starving myself. Firstly i am 5,2 sedentary or atleast, obese,(yea my bmi was 29 until i lost the 4lbs). I believe i can eat healthy at 1200. Proteins and veggies with fruits and lil carbs don't amount to much don't you think? But if i eat all the above am i not eating healthy?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about sugar? Because I'm about to take down two giant cookies and some ice cream tonight, and I peeked at my sugar and it's all "over 100" and stuff.

Am I gonna die?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not intend to lose any lean mass

Then you NEED to eat more than 1200 a day. period. or loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee. (actually, loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee on any weight loss regimen, but too restrictive a diet and the % of muscle you lose significantly increases.)

I'm glad you are excited about losing those pounds in your first week, that helps us so much with motivation when we see success, but keep in mind...you can lose a couple of pounds by just taking a really big poo too lol. (not meant to be discouraging, just reality)

Unless you are like this guy....

wqwvbr.jpg
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I am glad we have intelligent and well educated posters on these forums who can come in and give real scientific information for when new people find posts like these. To those who are new: there is no reason to starve yourself or be afraid of sugar. Read the SCIENCE that gets posted. Don't fall for the people who fear monger sugar or who think you have to only eat 1200 calories to lose weight. You don't. Do it the right way... the healthy way.

Don't you think eating 1200cal/day is ok depending on all other factors like BMI(height, weight), lifestyle etc. what if i say you can eat veggies, protein, lil carbs, fruits a day. lots of it and still amount to 1200. wasn't that healthy?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about sugar? Because I'm about to take down two giant cookies and some ice cream tonight, and I peeked at my sugar and it's all "over 100" and stuff.

Am I gonna die?

With 100% certainty.
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I definitely do not intend to lose any lean mass

Then you NEED to eat more than 1200 a day. period. or loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee. (actually, loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee on any weight loss regimen, but too restrictive a diet and the % of muscle you lose significantly increases.)

I'm glad you are excited about losing those pounds in your first week, that helps us so much with motivation when we see success, but keep in mind...you can lose a couple of pounds by just taking a really big poo too lol. (not meant to be discouraging, just reality)

Unless you are like this guy....

wqwvbr.jpg

hahah am glad we can have more humour here!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I am glad we have intelligent and well educated posters on these forums who can come in and give real scientific information for when new people find posts like these. To those who are new: there is no reason to starve yourself or be afraid of sugar. Read the SCIENCE that gets posted. Don't fall for the people who fear monger sugar or who think you have to only eat 1200 calories to lose weight. You don't. Do it the right way... the healthy way.

Don't you think eating 1200cal/day is ok depending on all other factors like BMI(height, weight), lifestyle etc. what if i say you can eat veggies, protein, lil carbs, fruits a day. lots of it and still amount to 1200. wasn't that healthy?

No. I believe that you should not eat under your BMR. I support finding your TDEE and subtracting 15%-20% from it, but not going under BMR. BMR is what your body needs if you laid in bed all day. I don't find that healthy in any way, shape, or form.

Neither does much of the science.

Plus, lower calorie diets cause a greater loss of muscle mass during weight loss. Sorry, but I want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing fat.

Adding more information.

Based off of the information you have provided (height, age, and BMI which led me to an approximate weight), your BMR is 1491 calories a day. Your TDEE is about 1789. A 15% reduction would be 1521.

It seems odd, I know. However, I used to think BMR and the like didn't matter and ate under them. I felt like crap and wasn't losing like I thought I should. I read a lot on here. I read the science and decided to try the TDEE minus 15%. I lost MORE during that time as I was eating even more food and feeling better.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    I dont think you had a 14k deficit to lose 4 pounds in 1 week. Why cant you work out at home? The kids take a nap, watch an exercise video and work out in the other room. Of course when you eat 1200 calories a day after eating a normal amount you will shock your body and lose lots of weight, but once you eat 1500 plus calories you will gain it back because it was lost way too fast.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    By the way congrats to your 12kg lost. What won't i give to be in your shoes. But seriously I don't want to have all the above. But I am utterly convinced i am not starving myself. Firstly i am 5,2 sedentary or atleast, obese,(yea my bmi was 29 until i lost the 4lbs). I believe i can eat healthy at 1200. Proteins and veggies with fruits and lil carbs don't amount to much don't you think? But if i eat all the above am i not eating healthy?

Not debating the nutritional value of your diet just trying to illustrate the repercussions of a too severe calorie deficit is all.

Neither am I trying to dictate your calorie intake just trying to provide you with the necessary tools to achieve your goals in a healthy and sustainable way.

Remember a deficit is just a deficit no matter what the nutritional value of your diet is, too high a deficit even consisting of fruit and veg can be detrimental to our health.

If you go over the links you will have a much better understanding of what I am trying to convey.
  • belindanjumo
    Options

No. I believe that you should not eat under your BMR. I support finding your TDEE and subtracting 15%-20% from it, but not going under BMR. BMR is what your body needs if you laid in bed all day. I don't find that healthy in any way, shape, or form.

Plus, lower calorie diets cause a greater loss of muscle mass during weight loss. Sorry, but I want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing fat.

Adding more information.

Based off of the information you have provided (height, age, and BMI which led me to an approximate weight), your BMR is 1491 calories a day. Your TDEE is about 1789. A 15% reduction would be 1521.

It seems odd, I know. However, I used to think BMR and the like didn't matter and ate under them. I felt like crap and wasn't losing like I thought I should. I read a lot on here. I read the science and decided to try the TDEE minus 15%. I lost MORE during that time as I was eating even more food and feeling better.
    [/quot

Oh no i seriously don't wanna lose muscle. Can you tell me how to calculate BMR? Basal metabolic rate right. and how to determine calorie intake from that.
  • belindanjumo
    Options

Adding more information.

[/quot

Oh no i seriously don't wanna lose muscle. Can you tell me how to calculate BMR? Basal metabolic rate right. and how to determine calorie intake from that.

Oh okay. So i should be eating approximately 1500cal a day. thats odd, seeing as am not that active and all. Will give it a go this week and see how it goes! Thanks for the info.
  • belindanjumo
    Options

Not debating the nutritional value of your diet just trying to illustrate the repercussions of a too severe calorie deficit is all.

Neither am I trying to dictate your calorie intake just trying to provide with the necessary tools to achieve your goals in a healthy and sustainable way.

Remember a deficit is just a deficit no matter what the nutritional value of your diet is, too high a deficit even consisting of fruit and veg can be detrimental to our health.

If you go over the links you will have a much better understanding of what I am trying to convey.

Okay I understand. Now am a lil at a loss. If I eat 1500cal this coming week. I might just gain all the weight back. But 1500cal sounds like a good idea
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Is 1440 calories enough to maintain my weight of 100 pounds? I am a 16 yr old girl 5'2

Hun, at 16 you should really look to to sparkteens, rather than this site as it is not geared towards peeps who are still growing.
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    I dont think you had a 14k deficit to lose 4 pounds in 1 week. Why cant you work out at home? The kids take a nap, watch an exercise video and work out in the other room. Of course when you eat 1200 calories a day after eating a normal amount you will shock your body and lose lots of weight, but once you eat 1500 plus calories you will gain it back because it was lost way too fast.

Am always so exhausted that I nap when they nap. My schedule is basically wrapped around theirs. No excuses but its hard i tell you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Am always so exhausted that I nap when they nap. My schedule is basically wrapped around theirs. No excuses but its hard i tell you.

My opinion: having low calories can have a negative effect on your energy, which is detrimental to weight loss. Eating enough to still be at a deficit but keep your energy levels up and allowing you enough flexibility is often the best approach.
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    For three years now I've been a nanny to two sets of twins 3.5yrs and 20months. I wear a body media armband so I know what my daily burn is and I average around 2500 calories a day. Even on the days we stay home I still burn well over 2000 calories a day. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day and am losing a 1lb a week. Obviously you can't just sit on the couch all the time and I. Am very active with them but what I am trying to say is you probably burn more than you think. If I only ate 1200 calories a day my deficit would be way over a 1000 calories and at that point you are not doing yourself any favors. It gets frustrating that people have such impatience with weight loss after awhile. There is just no reason to restrict yourself so much for the quick loss.

Am not impatient about my weight loss. I am still fat 18months after putting to birth. Granted I maybe losing more than I think as you say, so i should definitely consider upping my calorie intake. But i am not looking for a quick fix. Just following the directions on mpf to lose atleast 1.5lbs a week. Instead i lost more. I believe maybe its more because of the jumpstart and not really the 1200diet. don't you think?
  • belindanjumo
    Options
    Keep going.. I've lost 101 lbs on a 1200 calorie diet (success story? I think so).. and I'm FAR from sedentary. You can be successful.

Thanks!
  • belindanjumo
    Options

My opinion: having low calories can have a negative effect on your energy, which is detrimental to weight loss. Eating enough to still be at a deficit but keep your energy levels up and allowing you enough flexibility is often the best approach.

Good advice!
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    no mother of twins is completely sedentary.

Sedentary doesn't mean you're laying around all day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    no mother of twins is completely sedentary.

Sedentary doesn't mean you're laying around all day.

It also does not mean running around after twins.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!