1200cal/day really works.

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I think you're misunderstanding my post...

...or perhaps I didn't explain it well.

(I'll wait to see how others read it to try to determine where the communication problem is.)

I'm sure I do understand, but I wont blame the diet....it was not a case of I finally broke under the strain of crazy hunger. I got depressed my husband did have to go work out of town for a few months, it was a long harsh winter me and my kids were sick alot and I ate to comfort myself. I am saying in my case it had nothing to do with the "diet" hate even calling it a diet...I ate tons , I filled my plate with lean meats and tons and tons of low cal foods (veggies etc) I was never hungry.

I screwed up and tossed my healthly eating aside it had nothing to do with the many extremely awesome healthy choices I was making daily when I was losing which just so happened my cals were around the 1200 mark. I think your reading way too much into my comment. I am being honest in that it wasn't the healthly choices I was making it was me giving up and not caring anymore that made me fail. That is all.

To be clear, my comment wasn't only about your post. It's just a trend I've noticed in my years on MFP. Perhaps it wasn't spot on to your situation. I still maintain it is a fundamental problem that many people have and it prevents them from finding something that truly works...because they believe an unsustainable approach can be sustained if they just try harder next time...and when it doesn't work, they deduce that it was themselves that was the problem and not the unsustainable approach.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Keep going.. I've lost 101 lbs on a 1200 calorie diet (success story? I think so).. and I'm FAR from sedentary. You can be successful.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Congrats on your loss.

I am losing on 1600/day (more when I exercise) while enjoying my very high in sugar :devil: White Mocha. Gonna stick to my plan!!

I wonder how you lose on high sugar. If I did that, my weight would escalate. I drink my tea and coffee with no sugar. Have you heard about insulin resistance? you should check it out!

Maybe you should do some research.

Are you insulin resistant? As diagnosed by a medical professional?

Oh no i have not been diagnosed. I am just convinced I am from all what i have read. Maybe am being a lil paranoid but i seriously want to abstain from sugar for a while during this weight loss process. I have been told its not the enemy but I think it is to me much more than fat.

With all due respect, I would not try to self diagnose (anything...I had yellow fever according to WebMD once...it was sciatica!). If you are concerned, get your doctor to do tests.

High sugar is fine for many people. I would not assume that they will have it like you seemed to do in your post.

Oh no i wasn't assuming she had it. I just wanted her to read a lil about what artificial sugar does to the body, ofcourse if ingesting it in great quantities. Am sure when i read "high" I just assumed she was having it in large quantities so i mentioned she looks up insulin resistance.

Artificial sugar?

She was talking about sugar.

I actually think you may be a bit confused about it. If you are active, and unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, you really do not need to worry about it unless it displaces other nutrients in your diet to a degree you are deficient in them (and assuming your calories are at an appropriate level for your goals).

Oh no, sugar has made it's way into a topic not even about sugar. Run!
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    First off congrats on you loss:flowerforyou: it is worth celebrating.

Now doubt you have witnessed some debate about your calorie intake and activity level, this is usually born out of concern more then snark and the 1200cal title can really ruffle feathers.

I recommend you read these links to further understand weight loss and nutrition....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.htm

Congratulations and the MFP community is by and large very supportive.

One piece of advice besides reading the links is try to consider a plan that is sustainable.

Good luck great work.

^^^ This.

Congrats on what you've lost so far. It can be really frustrating to find that what you're doing isn't working, and that first tip of the scale is definitely something to celebrate. There is a good chance that some of it is water weight, but hey, stay consistent with a caloric deficit and you should see the number continue to trend down. Don't be afraid if it seems to stall out or even go up every now and then. Just focus on your progress over time.

Sorry for the not so welcoming introduction to MFP. You're still getting your feet wet. 1200 calories can be a touchy subject as it often isn't enough to meet your body's nutritional and energy needs and/or isn't sustainable in the long term. What's most important is finding that sweet spot that works for you. Some people have to take more drastic measures (i.e. cutting out sugar, as you mentioned, or fast food), but spend enough time learning how to eat at the proper deficit, and you'll probably find that you don't have to be quite so restrictive. Why many have suggested eating at a higher intake, as you will still consistently lose weight.

When I first joined, I cut out sugar, eating out, pretty much all junk food, and worked on replacing those things with healthier options, but after a few weeks, and all but giving up coffee and sweet tea, which I'd loved before, I realized I didn't have to make it a "diet" to succeed. I could still have things that I loved, things that I, by no means, intended to give up for life. Never have ice cream again? I'd sooner die right now. The key is simply moderation, fitting the foods that you love into your daily goal. You don't have to eat the whole pint, but have that half cup serving that's appropriate on the label and you can still have you ice cream and eat it too. Some people that are subject to binging find that they just can't do that, but there are other alternatives out there. There really are no absolutes. Just find what works for you.

The site is filled with really good information. Generally, when you see responses with a lot of snark, they come from people who've been around awhile and know what they're talking about. They've been there, done that. Look at when they joined or how much they've lost. It should clue you in.

Do a little more reading and if you feel comfortable, you might want to up your intake a little, just so you can still get the proper nutrition - and enjoy your food.

Also, even though it's winter and you're stuck at home, there are still lots of things you can do in your own living room. Even if you've only got fifteen minutes between feedings and diaper changes. Youtube has loads of fitness videos. The FitnessBlender channel is awesome. There's everything from yoga to kickboxing if you just search for it. And adding exercise will allow you to comfortably eat even more.

Good luck!

Some more helpful links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/flexible-versus-rigid-dieting.html

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-metabolism-overview.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

Thanks. This is so helpful!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

Congrats on your water weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Really: What was your motivation for posting this?
  • belindanjumo
    I definitely do not intend to lose any lean mass

Then you NEED to eat more than 1200 a day. period. or loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee. (actually, loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee on any weight loss regimen, but too restrictive a diet and the % of muscle you lose significantly increases.)

I'm glad you are excited about losing those pounds in your first week, that helps us so much with motivation when we see success, but keep in mind...you can lose a couple of pounds by just taking a really big poo too lol. (not meant to be discouraging, just reality)

Hahahah. Loss of water? yes. but really big poo? I didn't expect! Am filling my plate with veggies and protein, almond nuts, even carbs. I don't think i starved myself. But to be fair it was just for a week. can't wait to see what the next week says. Hopefully it won't be based on poo! Hahaha, still laughing lol. That was funny!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    A copy and paste from another thread to put severe calorie deficits into perspective...

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but to make it happen I would drill microscopic holes in your bones, so they would be a little more fragile, would you do it?

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but in exchange your metabolic process would slow down, so you would take longer to recover from illness and burn fewer calories each day, would you do it?

If i told you I could cut your weight, but in doing so you would probably experience long term damage to organs that may or may not amount to anything, would you risk it?

If I told you I could lower your weight, but you would have to give up some cognitive ability instead, would you do it?

Probably not. At least, I hope not. All of these things and more is what happens if you don't eat enough food. It won't happen in one week. It may not even happen in a month. But keep it up, and it will happen.

OP I am sure you will find the right balance as you do not seem opposed to advice.
  • belindanjumo
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

Congrats on your water weight loss. :flowerforyou:

Really: What was your motivation for posting this?

That i lost 4lbs in the first week? Are you really insinuating all of it is just water? I believe some, but not all. What say you?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I am glad we have intelligent and well educated posters on these forums who can come in and give real scientific information for when new people find posts like these. To those who are new: there is no reason to starve yourself or be afraid of sugar. Read the SCIENCE that gets posted. Don't fall for the people who fear monger sugar or who think you have to only eat 1200 calories to lose weight. You don't. Do it the right way... the healthy way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Congrats on your loss.

I am losing on 1600/day (more when I exercise) while enjoying my very high in sugar :devil: White Mocha. Gonna stick to my plan!!

I wonder how you lose on high sugar. If I did that, my weight would escalate. I drink my tea and coffee with no sugar. Have you heard about insulin resistance? you should check it out!

Maybe you should do some research.

Are you insulin resistant? As diagnosed by a medical professional?

Oh no i have not been diagnosed. I am just convinced I am from all what i have read. Maybe am being a lil paranoid but i seriously want to abstain from sugar for a while during this weight loss process. I have been told its not the enemy but I think it is to me much more than fat.

With all due respect, I would not try to self diagnose (anything...I had yellow fever according to WebMD once...it was sciatica!). If you are concerned, get your doctor to do tests.

High sugar is fine for many people. I would not assume that they will have it like you seemed to do in your post.

Oh no i wasn't assuming she had it. I just wanted her to read a lil about what artificial sugar does to the body, ofcourse if ingesting it in great quantities. Am sure when i read "high" I just assumed she was having it in large quantities so i mentioned she looks up insulin resistance.

Artificial sugar?

She was talking about sugar.

I actually think you may be a bit confused about it. If you are active, and unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, you really do not need to worry about it unless it displaces other nutrients in your diet to a degree you are deficient in them (and assuming your calories are at an appropriate level for your goals).

Oh no, sugar has made it's way into a topic not even about sugar. Run!

28l5p1g.gif
  • Me too. Down 16 kilos since March.
  • belindanjumo
    A copy and paste from another thread to put severe calorie deficits into perspective...

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but to make it happen I would drill microscopic holes in your bones, so they would be a little more fragile, would you do it?

If I told you I could reduce your weight, but in exchange your metabolic process would slow down, so you would take longer to recover from illness and burn fewer calories each day, would you do it?

If i told you I could cut your weight, but in doing so you would probably experience long term damage to organs that may or may not amount to anything, would you risk it?

If I told you I could lower your weight, but you would have to give up some cognitive ability instead, would you do it?

Probably not. At least, I hope not. All of these things and more is what happens if you don't eat enough food. It won't happen in one week. It may not even happen in a month. But keep it up, and it will happen.

OP I am sure you will find the right balance as you do not seem opposed to advice.

By the way congrats to your 12kg lost. What won't i give to be in your shoes. But seriously I don't want to have all the above. But I am utterly convinced i am not starving myself. Firstly i am 5,2 sedentary or atleast, obese,(yea my bmi was 29 until i lost the 4lbs). I believe i can eat healthy at 1200. Proteins and veggies with fruits and lil carbs don't amount to much don't you think? But if i eat all the above am i not eating healthy?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Are we talking about sugar? Because I'm about to take down two giant cookies and some ice cream tonight, and I peeked at my sugar and it's all "over 100" and stuff.

Am I gonna die?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Then you NEED to eat more than 1200 a day. period. or loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee. (actually, loss of muscle is pretty much a guarantee on any weight loss regimen, but too restrictive a diet and the % of muscle you lose significantly increases.)

I'm glad you are excited about losing those pounds in your first week, that helps us so much with motivation when we see success, but keep in mind...you can lose a couple of pounds by just taking a really big poo too lol. (not meant to be discouraging, just reality)

Unless you are like this guy....

wqwvbr.jpg
  • belindanjumo
    I am glad we have intelligent and well educated posters on these forums who can come in and give real scientific information for when new people find posts like these. To those who are new: there is no reason to starve yourself or be afraid of sugar. Read the SCIENCE that gets posted. Don't fall for the people who fear monger sugar or who think you have to only eat 1200 calories to lose weight. You don't. Do it the right way... the healthy way.

Don't you think eating 1200cal/day is ok depending on all other factors like BMI(height, weight), lifestyle etc. what if i say you can eat veggies, protein, lil carbs, fruits a day. lots of it and still amount to 1200. wasn't that healthy?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Are we talking about sugar? Because I'm about to take down two giant cookies and some ice cream tonight, and I peeked at my sugar and it's all "over 100" and stuff.

Am I gonna die?

With 100% certainty.
  • belindanjumo

Unless you are like this guy....

wqwvbr.jpg

hahah am glad we can have more humour here!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member

Don't you think eating 1200cal/day is ok depending on all other factors like BMI(height, weight), lifestyle etc. what if i say you can eat veggies, protein, lil carbs, fruits a day. lots of it and still amount to 1200. wasn't that healthy?

No. I believe that you should not eat under your BMR. I support finding your TDEE and subtracting 15%-20% from it, but not going under BMR. BMR is what your body needs if you laid in bed all day. I don't find that healthy in any way, shape, or form.

Neither does much of the science.

Plus, lower calorie diets cause a greater loss of muscle mass during weight loss. Sorry, but I want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing fat.

Adding more information.

Based off of the information you have provided (height, age, and BMI which led me to an approximate weight), your BMR is 1491 calories a day. Your TDEE is about 1789. A 15% reduction would be 1521.

It seems odd, I know. However, I used to think BMR and the like didn't matter and ate under them. I felt like crap and wasn't losing like I thought I should. I read a lot on here. I read the science and decided to try the TDEE minus 15%. I lost MORE during that time as I was eating even more food and feeling better.
  • I dont think you had a 14k deficit to lose 4 pounds in 1 week. Why cant you work out at home? The kids take a nap, watch an exercise video and work out in the other room. Of course when you eat 1200 calories a day after eating a normal amount you will shock your body and lose lots of weight, but once you eat 1500 plus calories you will gain it back because it was lost way too fast.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    By the way congrats to your 12kg lost. What won't i give to be in your shoes. But seriously I don't want to have all the above. But I am utterly convinced i am not starving myself. Firstly i am 5,2 sedentary or atleast, obese,(yea my bmi was 29 until i lost the 4lbs). I believe i can eat healthy at 1200. Proteins and veggies with fruits and lil carbs don't amount to much don't you think? But if i eat all the above am i not eating healthy?

Not debating the nutritional value of your diet just trying to illustrate the repercussions of a too severe calorie deficit is all.

Neither am I trying to dictate your calorie intake just trying to provide you with the necessary tools to achieve your goals in a healthy and sustainable way.

Remember a deficit is just a deficit no matter what the nutritional value of your diet is, too high a deficit even consisting of fruit and veg can be detrimental to our health.

If you go over the links you will have a much better understanding of what I am trying to convey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!