1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    SCIENTISTS DON'T WANT YOU TO LEARN THIS CRAZY TRICK TO LOSE 4 POUNDS OF MUSCLE MASS AND WATER WEIGHT IN ONE WEEK!

Yea I would expect that from a guy! Congrats on ya weight loss though
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    SCIENTISTS DON'T WANT YOU TO LEARN THIS CRAZY TRICK TO LOSE 4 POUNDS OF MUSCLE MASS AND WATER WEIGHT IN ONE WEEK!

TL;DR: any wisdom in your sarcastic post is invalid because you have a penis.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okay I understand. Now am a lil at a loss. If I eat 1500cal this coming week. I might just gain all the weight back. But 1500cal sounds like a good idea

Keep in mind, you need to establish a pattern over time before you discover what works. Weeks, not a matter of days. Your weight naturally fluctuates in a given day, from the aforementioned poop to water weight because you ate a meal high in sodium to any number of other things. I've had my own stall for weeks and gotten discouraged only to realize that it was water retention due to TOM. Try it. Be patient. Then, reassess if necessary, but generally, you should eat above your BMR. Don't get frustrated if you change it up, weigh in a week, and aren't happy with the results. And be positive. Don't go in expecting defeat. If you work hard, stay consistent, log accurately, and you'll get there. If you run into a legitimate roadblock later on, I recommend following this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-, but honestly, there's no reason realistically that that shouldn't work, as you are still eating at a deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

TL;DR: any wisdom in your sarcastic post is invalid because you have a penis.

Great WW costume bro

(Thanks. Easiest "costume" ever since the entirety of it is just a hat. WW and I already shared the same hair style, facial hair, and wardrobe.)
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    I did the 1200 calories and 400 calories burned a day for a month and lost 15 pounds. I gained 30 back from yo-yoing because I was so tired/hungry/bingeprone all the time.

After a couple months, I went up to 1700-1800 calories and was able to lose 50 pounds and keep it off. Currently below 120, and 5'6''.

I'm not saying 1200 calories doesnt work (it does), but 1700/1800 calories is probably more long term.
    Congrats on the weight loss though :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do also like the 1200cal a day diet. I did lose 40 lbs two years ago on it...but I did hit a slump (northern winters suck!) and did totally fall off the wagon. It took two years but yes sadly I did gain it all back.

But honestly it had nothing to do with losing 40lbs by eating 1200 cals. it had to do with my mental state it seriously was a long depressing 6 month winter and then I just couldn't re-group even after. lol

We are mostly all here because we all have a love/hate relationship with food. So there should be no one picking on another. Shouldn't be ones that are finding success now.....getting all haughty to ones just starting their battle, or re-starting. I say you go girl, keep going with that diet and don't look back :)

And for me I'm making that push again to being healthy and happy...and with a fresh mind determined to not fall back down. <3

Why do people credit the diet for the initial "success", but blame other outside influences or themselves for the later "failure" of it? I see this a lot...credit to some unsustainable diet and then they blame themselves for failure to stick with it over time. Is it not possible that it is the diet itself that is the reason for failing to sustain the loss?

THIS!!!
  • randomtai
    Options

I think you're misunderstanding my post...

...or perhaps I didn't explain it well.

(I'll wait to see how others read it to try to determine where the communication problem is.)

I'm sure I do understand, but I wont blame the diet....it was not a case of I finally broke under the strain of crazy hunger. I got depressed my husband did have to go work out of town for a few months, it was a long harsh winter me and my kids were sick alot and I ate to comfort myself. I am saying in my case it had nothing to do with the "diet" hate even calling it a diet...I ate tons , I filled my plate with lean meats and tons and tons of low cal foods (veggies etc) I was never hungry.

I screwed up and tossed my healthly eating aside it had nothing to do with the many extremely awesome healthy choices I was making daily when I was losing which just so happened my cals were around the 1200 mark. I think your reading way too much into my comment. I am being honest in that it wasn't the healthly choices I was making it was me giving up and not caring anymore that made me fail. That is all.

Right. :flowerforyou:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

Great start! Congratulations. You're on the road to a healthier, more beautiful you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How do you think these sugars (artificial, man made, and natural) differ at a structural level? How are you going to let your body know to handle the natural sugar differently than it would "artificial" or "man made" sugar?

Yes, sugar is sugar, but there's more to the story than this. Please keep in mind that some people have sensitivities to granulated sugar but not to natural sugars. I'm one of those people. If I eat even a small piece of cake I feel a buzz, for lack of a better word, but I don't feel the same thing when I eat a piece of fruit. Therefore, my sugars come from natural food and a cake or brownie is an occasional treat.

When I was eating a bunch of sweets I put on weight, but that is because baked and processed goods with sugar generally have loads of calories. The more sweets I ate, the hungrier I was and the more I craved sugary foods. I don't know if this is a normal reaction or not, but it became way too normal for me. I also have a lot of diabetes in my bloodline so that's another reason for me to limit the sugar intake.

As for artificial sugars, you are spot on about that. When used to use splenda, stevia, etc., and eaten sugar free foods or drank too much diet soda, I became hungrier. Therefore I stay away from artificial sweeteners as well, but I do use limited sugar free foods. For example, I if my choices for my French Toast are regular syrup or sugar free, I choose sugar free.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Congrats on your loss.

I am losing on 1600/day (more when I exercise) while enjoying my very high in sugar :devil: White Mocha. Gonna stick to my plan!!

I wonder how you lose on high sugar. If I did that, my weight would escalate. I drink my tea and coffee with no sugar. Have you heard about insulin resistance? you should check it out!

Maybe you should do some research.

Are you insulin resistant? As diagnosed by a medical professional?

Oh no i have not been diagnosed. I am just convinced I am from all what i have read. Maybe am being a lil paranoid but i seriously want to abstain from sugar for a while during this weight loss process. I have been told its not the enemy but I think it is to me much more than fat.

What do you mean "abstain from sugar"? How are you going to do that?

I meant artificial sugar. I plan on eating fruits and all, but i am going to try to abstain from man made sugar

Congratulations on your weight loss.

A word of warning about artificial sugar--they will often affect people the same way as granulated sugar does. , Sugar substitutes often cause hunger too. Being sensitive to granulated since I was a kid (see prior post), I speak from experience. :)
  • randomtai
    Options
    When I was eating a bunch of sweets I put on weight, but that is because baked and processed goods with sugar generally have loads of calories. The more sweets I ate, the hungrier I was and the more I craved sugary foods. I don't know if this is a normal reaction or not, but it became way too normal for me. I also have a lot of diabetes in my bloodline so that's another reason for me to limit the sugar intake.

No you put on weight because you ate more calories than you burned. Nothing more.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Are we talking about sugar? Because I'm about to take down two giant cookies and some ice cream tonight, and I peeked at my sugar and it's all "over 100" and stuff.

Am I gonna die?

Oh gosh. If I ate that I would soar and then crash and end up with a headache.

Please enjoy your cookies and ice cream for me. :bigsmile:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you have a significant amount to lose like I did, 1200 calories is not the answer, I started out eating 1600, things slowed down so I moved to 1400, now I'm doing 1200 to get the last 7 lbs off. I've worked out and still workout, the thing about working out, especially if you are a larger person, it helps with loose skin. I have barely any at all.

Not everyone works the same way, but for me, at 5'1.5 and 220 lbs 1200 calories was not enough, now at 5'1.5 and 117 lbs, 1200 calories works perfectly fine and I'm satisfied and full.
  • icandyforme
    Options
    im sedentARY NOW BEACSUE MY BIKE DOESNT WORK ANYMORE AND CANT GO TO THE GYM :( I DO GET HUNGRY THO JUST EATING 1200 CAL A DAY I CAN HARDLY STAY ON THAT. READING WHAT YOU JUST POSTED DOES GIVE ME ALITTLE BIT OF MOTIVATION TO STAY ON TRACK.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No you put on weight because you ate more calories than you burned. Nothing more.

Isn't that what I basically said in the part of my prior post you didn't quote? :wink: :wink:

When I was eating a bunch of sweets I put on weight, but that is because baked and processed goods with sugar generally have loads of calories.

You seemed to missed the point that not all people react to processed sugar the same.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I just lost 4lbs in one week eating 1200cals a day. No exercise. I just want to say it really works. You should try it! Just one week and see the difference. Now am eager to get on with my weight loss. I wasn't losing any weight at first because of my diet. Now I can do and so can you!

I eat 1200 calories myself, but mostly because I am in my 60's and am 5 feet tall. I would never suggest ( or maybe brag is a better word) to anyone to eat 1200 calories so they could lose 4 pounds in a week. I find it irresponsible unless someone is is short and has a lot to lose; and I do . I eat 12000 with a BMR of 1370 but I would never suggest so someone I don't know, or a whole forum in general to eat such relatively low calories.
  • floridared
    floridared Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do what is best for you. The main thing is to eat healthy foods and controlled portions. You can have the candy, cake and other not good for you foods :wink: if you eat the serving size only when you crave them Just remember to not go over your 1200 calories a day. I have been following a caloric plan of 1200 per day and have seen results. I have lost 14 pounds and it works for me. Wishing you the best on your weight loss journey, Everybody has a story to tell but, each person's story may be different. DO YOU AND ENJOY YOURSELF WHILE DOING IT.:flowerforyou: Congrats on having twins. My goddaughter has a set (boys) and they are a blessing. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!