1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I did 1200/cal a day for my initial weight loss of 180 to 138lbs in 6 months following weight watchers.

I've been maintaining my weight loss for 5+ years by eating 1200/cal a day Mon-Thurs and mostly whatever I want on Fri-Sun (but not gorging myself either).

It works. :) and it can LAST. No health concerns/issues either.

being stuck eating 1200 at maintenance sounds like hell. Why would anyone want that?

who said she is stuck maintaining at 1200? that's not what I read, I read that she staggers her calories, and eats at 1200 for part of the week, and super high the other part of the week. I do the same, and my weekly average is about 2000 per day...
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Good for you. 4 pounds in a week is a lot; I wouldn't expect that every week unless you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I did 1200/cal a day for my initial weight loss of 180 to 138lbs in 6 months following weight watchers.

I've been maintaining my weight loss for 5+ years by eating 1200/cal a day Mon-Thurs and mostly whatever I want on Fri-Sun (but not gorging myself either).

being stuck eating 1200 at maintenance sounds like hell. Why would anyone want that?

who said she is stuck maintaining at 1200? that's not what I read, I read that she staggers her calories, and eats at 1200 for part of the week, and super high the other part of the week. I do the same, and my weekly average is about 2000 per day...

I didn't understand her to be saying she was going to be staying at 1200 either. Interesting how people with a bias about 1200 calories will distort other individuals' statements to make a point.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I didn't understand her to be saying she was going to be staying at 1200 either. Interesting how people with a bias about 1200 calories will distort other individuals' statements to make a point.

I suspect it's based on the many threads from people who have found "success" in a 1200 calorie approach indicating that they can't eat more than that without gaining.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Can there be a new, super secret forum where nobody has to bang their head against their desk when they read it?

From your mouth to god's ear!!!!
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss.

I am losing on 1600/day (more when I exercise) while enjoying my very high in sugar :devil: White Mocha. Gonna stick to my plan!!

I wonder how you lose on high sugar. If I did that, my weight would escalate. I drink my tea and coffee with no sugar. Have you heard about insulin resistance? you should check it out!

You're really ignorant. That's not a slam or an insult. It's a statement of fact. You insult anyone who disagrees with you and are purposely making false statements to incite arguments.

You are a flame troll.

I apologize if you think that your ideas are correct. That would be a real shame though. I hope you are just pretending.

kok7egv
    haha. I had to laugh at this. That wasn't the response you were hoping to get I presume. I listened to those who had valuable advice and thanked those who encouraged me. So can you quote where I insulted anyone dear? Or do I have to start with you?
  • belindanjumo
    belindanjumo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    wow you lost another 4.4 lbs! That's great. Does it really matter whether it's water, fat, or muscle that you're losing? LOL You're losing so that's all that matters! Keep up the good work. :)
    thanks hun
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, if your dedication to your diet is anything like your dedication to keeping this thread going...

...then I am certain that your ultimate results will not be affected by noncompliance to your plan.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just plugged your numbers into the TDEE calculator and with 1 day a week of exercise your TDEE would be a little over 2000 calories and if you took 20% from that for weight loss then you should be losing eating 1600 calories. Are you weighing and measuring all your food and logging???

First off...congrats on your weight loss :) I totally agree that you should be eating more calories and get closer to 20% of your TDEE...you can't live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life...your going to get hungry and then get back into old habits and gain all the weight back :( BOOOOO hehe....Eat Girl!! I'm living proof that you can eat more and lose weight!!
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You have made a start, well done. And although your twins are 18 months old at the moment, once they start walking and are on their feet, you will no longer be sedentary.
  • katelea24
    katelea24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed...Not cool. Good job.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    2400cal/day really works. See?

dd1694e6-9600-4d9f-95ab-c0dd7d7bc47b_zpsf10d875e.jpg

It works for me, so it must be fact for everyone, right? Blanket statements do not work. I maintain on 2,700 calories a day and lose fat on anything less than that. My sedentary TDEE is still 2,000+ calories. 1,200 would NOT work for me.

Instead of making broad statements, how about we attempt to educate people on what WILL work for them? Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet or any other science-backed reading regarding BMR, TDEE and calorie deficits.

SCIENCE!!!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You have made a start, well done. And although your twins are 18 months old at the moment, once they start walking and are on their feet, you will no longer be sedentary.

18 month olds ARE on their feet & walking. Kids start walking at about 11 months onwards. 18 month olds not walking....yeah right.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options

For most people, that would suck. But punch some numbers into BMR calculators... There are people who fit into the range of 1200 maintenance. Smaller people, older people... If you only need 10 gallons to fill your gas tank, why try to stuff in more?

Now I like to think that I exercise so that I can eat more (cause I freakin love to eat)...
  • toomuch4u2c
    Options
    After reading some of the posts on this thread I am a little confused. I am just starting my weight loss journey, so obviously i still need to continue educating myself, but what is wrong with a 1200 cal diet? My suggested cal intake on here is 1380 daily...is that okay? I have over 100 pounds to lose, so maybe it is ok when you have a lot of weight to lose? I've struggled with an eating disorder (bulimia) for over 10 years, and for the past 4 years have maintained a decent intake of food without too many episdoes of binge eating. I eat atleast twice a day, but it is usually junk food. I am extremely active, I hit the gym 7 days a week in the mornings, walk during the afternoon, and do videos before bed everday. My problem is I eat pizza as my daily meal, and use junk food as fuel to give me enough energy to workout though the day.

I am finally at a place mentally where I am ready to lose weight the right way and develop a healthy relationship with food. The site gave me a daily amount of cals to eat to lose 2lbs per week, but I saw people mentioning some other caloric amount ( and using 10-20% of that amount). is that somehting I should look into? I know I am going to have to start eating 6 small meals a day, however I do not really like things that would be considered healthy, would it be safe to juice my meals so I could take them like shots? Will that ultimately mess up my metabolism ....or anyhting else? For those people losing weight on a 2000 plus calorie diet, how are you doing it? Are you extremely active?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    After reading some of the posts on this thread I am a little confused. I am just starting my weight loss journey, so obviously i still need to continue educating myself, but what is wrong with a 1200 cal diet? My suggested cal intake on here is 1380 daily...is that okay? I have over 100 pounds to lose, so maybe it is ok when you have a lot of weight to lose? I've struggled with an eating disorder (bulimia) for over 10 years, and for the past 4 years have maintained a decent intake of food without too many episdoes of binge eating. I eat atleast twice a day, but it is usually junk food. I am extremely active, I hit the gym 7 days a week in the mornings, walk during the afternoon, and do videos before bed everday. My problem is I eat pizza as my daily meal, and use junk food as fuel to give me enough energy to workout though the day.

I am finally at a place mentally where I am ready to lose weight the right way and develop a healthy relationship with food. The site gave me a daily amount of cals to eat to lose 2lbs per week, but I saw people mentioning some other caloric amount ( and using 10-20% of that amount). is that somehting I should look into? I know I am going to have to start eating 6 small meals a day, however I do not really like things that would be considered healthy, would it be safe to juice my meals so I could take them like shots? Will that ultimately mess up my metabolism ....or anyhting else? For those people losing weight on a 2000 plus calorie diet, how are you doing it? Are you extremely active?

You don't like things that are considered healthy? Well then you are going to learn the hard way.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The amount of people babying and trying to defend the OP is really tragic. She wouldn't have gotten herself into such hot water if she weren't pushing/promoting something that's rather unhealthy. 1200 a day CAN work for some (there are no blanket statements in weight loss and fitness), but it generally does not and it's not very good for one's body. Really, it gives people new to the website/forums/weight loss in general can get a bad idea put into their heads.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why in the hell is this thread still going? :/
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I suspect it's based on the many threads from people who have found "success" in a 1200 calorie approach indicating that they can't eat more than that without gaining.

If you eat more than you're burning you will gain. This is true for any amount of calories based on you resting rate. I work an IT job and I come home and sit on the computer at night. I'm not exercising so I am able to eat what I want within reason on the weekends and keep to 1200 calories a day during the work week which is plenty to keep me full.

What is the issue?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!