1200cal/day really works.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Edited ****
    PS to those who say "I've kept the weight off for x years" eating 1200 for most of the time and splurging a couple days...good for you but I bet if you were to actually weigh your food on a kitchen scale you are eating more then you think...and that is the kicker.

You are here defending your choice when probably in reality you are eating closer to 1600 a day on normal days and closer to 1800-2300 on splurge days...but that being said you wont admit it now or even doube check...

My diary is open, feel free to view my 1200 cal a day foods.

Yup I did and I was right in your particular case you don't use a kitchen scale for your food...you use cups and packaged item details....and "measurments" like 1 small...when in fact if you read this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

or this one from another person just recently who is a "common" user who didn't weigh her food either until recently...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1135499-eating-more-than-you-think

You will understand my statement better.

Esp considering the TDEE of a sedendary woman who is 5 ft 2 and weights about 138 is appx 1577 to maintain (that is the average daily intake) so if in fact a woman with those stats eats 1200 a day for 4 days (while weighing food to be sure) then she is consuming 2000 the other 3 days.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Edited ****
    PS to those who say "I've kept the weight off for x years" eating 1200 for most of the time and splurging a couple days...good for you but I bet if you were to actually weigh your food on a kitchen scale you are eating more then you think...and that is the kicker.

You are here defending your choice when probably in reality you are eating closer to 1600 a day on normal days and closer to 1800-2300 on splurge days...but that being said you wont admit it now or even doube check...

Yup I did and I was right in your particular case you don't use a kitchen scale for your food...you use cups and packaged item details....and "measurments" like 1 small...when in fact if you read this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

or this one from another person just recently who is a "common" user who didn't weigh her food either until recently...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1135499-eating-more-than-you-think

You will understand my statement better.

Esp considering the TDEE of a sedendary woman who is 5 ft 2 and weights about 138 is appx 1577 to maintain (that is the average daily intake) so if in fact a woman with those stats eats 1200 a day for 4 days (while weighing food to be sure) then she is consuming 2000 the other 3 days.

I probably am close to 2000 on the weekends. Bf and I like to go out to dinner. :D
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I love that this rolled. In for round 2 of OMG You MUST try 1200/cals! vs. Um... no.

I missed the first part..... and have no desire to catch up.

I'm just in to find out what's so amazing about 1200 cals/day that people defend it so voiciferously....

This ....so this....

Not sure why people feel the need to deprive themselves of food they want/love just to ensure they consume 1200 a day. No need to. That leads to failure because you can only do that for so long then you break, feel bad, try to get back to 1200 break again...feel bad and before you know it you have gained the weight back and you feel bad...

When in reality you can eat more and still lose weight without a tonne of exercise.

But whatever...if the people who are staunch supporters of 1200 a day want to do that to themselves then have at....has no effect on the rest of us who are doing it differently we just wish that you could see you don't have to deprive yourself....

I had a look. A bowl of cheerios for dinner? I'll stick to eating back my exercise cals thanks. That's no way to live.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options
    I love that this rolled. In for round 2 of OMG You MUST try 1200/cals! vs. Um... no.

I'm just in to find out what's so amazing about 1200 cals/day that people defend it so voiciferously....

This ....so this....

Not sure why people feel the need to deprive themselves of food they want/love just to ensure they consume 1200 a day. No need to. That leads to failure because you can only do that for so long then you break, feel bad, try to get back to 1200 break again...feel bad and before you know it you have gained the weight back and you feel bad...

When in reality you can eat more and still lose weight without a tonne of exercise.

But whatever...if the people who are staunch supporters of 1200 a day want to do that to themselves then have at....has no effect on the rest of us who are doing it differently we just wish that you could see you don't have to deprive yourself....

I had a look. A bowl of cheerios for dinner? I'll stick to eating back my exercise cals thanks. That's no way to live.

I eat a bowl and a half of multigrain cheerios and almond milk which is delicious and filling.

I'm not sorry that it fills me up. I'm not sorry I don't exercise and eat those calories either. ;P This is how I live, who are you to judge?
  • lauren3101
    Options

This ....so this....

I eat a bowl and a half of multigrain cheerios and almond milk which is delicious and filling.

I'm not sorry that it fills me up. I'm not sorry I don't exercise and eat those calories either. ;P This is how I live, who are you to judge?

I don't want you to be sorry, and I'm not judging you. I just think that's a depressing way to live - in my opinion. If you are genuinely happy eating that, then good on you, but many 1200 calorie eaters on here are not happy and do struggle.

Out of curiosity, what do you do when you want to go out for a meal? And don't you get bored of cheerios every night?
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Will the dietician's please raise their hands. Thank you.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

This ....so this....

I don't want you to be sorry, and I'm not judging you. I just think that's a depressing way to live - in my opinion. If you are genuinely happy eating that, then good on you, but many 1200 calorie eaters on here are not happy and do struggle.

Out of curiosity, what do you do when you want to go out for a meal? And don't you get bored of cheerios every night?

Sorry to have misunderstood you. It is definitely hard for some people to do and was hard at first for me before I lost the wight. If you're depressed you should definitely eat more and be at a happy intake.

lol - I really like cheerios! Try a bowl and a half of multigrain with the 30calorie almond milk. I'm so full after.. I don't know if it's the almond milk or not. I'm also very focused on this competitive video game at night after work so dinner is quick and then back to focusing. If I was sitting in front of the TV instead, I would be looking for snacks during every commercial.

When I go out to dinner, I look for the salad options and always check if they have balsamic or a fat free dressing. But since I am maintaining, I don't track the weekends and enjoy time with my bf who is long distance.

When I was doing weight watchers, I would research the calories online before going and pick what I wanted. I also would build it into my day and eat a lighter lunch. Nowadays most restaurants have their nutrition menus online which is awesome.

I think weight watchers is a much better option only because they have free foods like veges and salad which don't count and you can snack on when you're hungry. :D (unless they changed their program from when I did it).
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yah no judgement here except for the fact you have been tracking on here for less then 1 week and you "appear" to eat almost the same thing everyday...yah no thanks.

I will not support a low calorie diet no matter what nor will I accept that the fact that they are "easy" you just have to get used to it to much imperical evidence to suggest /prove otherwise.

And the fact that 90% of people who lose weight on a VLCD gain the weight back only to yo yo until they can accept that it's not healthy (mentally or physically esp when you are under 1200 consistently), it doesn't work and that they can eat food if they are willing to lose the weight slower then they wish...
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

Yah no judgement here except for the fact you have been tracking on here for less then 1 week and you "appear" to eat almost the same thing everyday...yah no thanks.

I will not support a low calorie diet no matter what nor will I accept that the fact that they are "easy" you just have to get used to it to much imperical evidence to suggest /prove otherwise.

And the fact that 90% of people who lose weight on a VLCD gain the weight back only to yo yo until they can accept that it's not healthy (mentally or physically esp when you are under 1200 consistently), it doesn't work and that they can eat food if they are willing to lose the weight slower then they wish...

Why do you dislike me so much? Really, what is your issue with me?

I didn't track over the summer when I tried crossfit and just started tracking again. I joined this site in 2012.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    mmmm 1200 calories ROCKS!! ................ for breakfast... :tongue:
  • lauren3101
    Options

This ....so this....

Sorry to have misunderstood you. It is definitely hard for some people to do and was hard at first for me before I lost the wight. If you're depressed you should definitely eat more and be at a happy intake.

lol - I really like cheerios! Try a bowl and a half of multigrain with the 30calorie almond milk. I'm so full after.. I don't know if it's the almond milk or not. I'm also very focused on this competitive video game at night after work so dinner is quick and then back to focusing. If I was sitting in front of the TV instead, I would be looking for snacks during every commercial.

When I go out to dinner, I look for the salad options and always check if they have balsamic or a fat free dressing. But since I am maintaining, I don't track the weekends and enjoy time with my bf who is long distance.

When I was doing weight watchers, I would research the calories online before going and pick what I wanted. I also would build it into my day and eat a lighter lunch. Nowadays most restaurants have their nutrition menus online which is awesome.

I think weight watchers is a much better option only because they have free foods like veges and salad which don't count and you can snack on when you're hungry. :D (unless they changed their program from when I did it).

Things don't come across well on the internet. :laugh:

It's not that I'm judging you, it's just that I genuinely don't understand why people would want to eat 1200 calories a day when in reality most can eat so much more and lose the weight they want - even more so if you are maintaining.

I like cheerios! It's just not my idea of dinner food. :laugh: I like home made burgers and pasta and chilli and curries and chips and fish and pie. One of my dinners is nearly 3/4 of your daily intake, lol

The thing is though, if you are eating what you like on the weekends then you aren't really following a 1200 calorie diet, which would probably explain why you don't mind it so much.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

This ....so this....

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

This was part of another post...I only reposted because it gives the example of all those "free" foods on the weigh watchers diet. Those foods still contain calories that add up..The woman in the story was not losing weight because she was eating all these "free" foods and not tracking. I personally have noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in my weight loss when I went from measuring in cups and sizes to grams and ounces. I am now hyper aware of how many calories I eat. I just can't get on board with eating that low as a long term option or solution.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

This ....so this....

Things don't come across well on the internet. :laugh:

It's not that I'm judging you, it's just that I genuinely don't understand why people would want to eat 1200 calories a day when in reality most can eat so much more and lose the weight they want - even more so if you are maintaining.

I like cheerios! It's just not my idea of dinner food. :laugh: I like home made burgers and pasta and chilli and curries and chips and fish and pie. One of my dinners is nearly 3/4 of your daily intake, lol

The thing is though, if you are eating what you like on the weekends then you aren't really following a 1200 calorie diet, which would probably explain why you don't mind it so much.

Definitely! I only did 1200 when I needed to lose the weight. Because I don't exercise and I'm short I can't go over that without starting to slowly gain. And trust me I know about exercise and I've tried ;p haha. I'm at a happy weight right now so eating 1200 Mon-Thurs doesn't bother me. :D I guess I like kind of bland foods like cheerios and noodles but I also love sushi so I splurge on the weekends.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Why is arguing about 1200 calories even a thing? How have we gotten so off track about living active lives and eating to support them that this is even a consideration for 99% of people?

Eating dirt won't kill you either, but it's not that smart and it can be a symptom of a bigger problem. It's probably sustainable in the long term, though.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

This ....so this....

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

This was part of another post...I only reposted because it gives the example of all those "free" foods on the weigh watchers diet. Those foods still contain calories that add up..The woman in the story was not losing weight because she was eating all these "free" foods and not tracking. I personally have noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in my weight loss when I went from measuring in cups and sizes to grams and ounces. I am now hyper aware of how many calories I eat. I just can't get on board with eating that low as a long term option or solution.

You're probably right about that long-term. That's why I take weekends off now that I'm in maintenance. It would get too difficult to do 1200 if you have family, friends, social life, etc.. Everything revolves around food! And you've got to be happy too. :]
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options
    Why is arguing about 1200 calories even a thing? How have we gotten so off track about living active lives and eating to support them that this is even a consideration for 99% of people?

Eating dirt won't kill you either, but it's not that smart and it can be a symptom of a bigger problem. It's probably sustainable in the long term, though.

I feel bad for the OP because of everyone attacking her. I don't live an active lifestyle either so I was giving her perspective on doing it to diet and then easing up for maintenance.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mine is now set at 1200, but i make sure to eat back most of my exercise calories. so I eat around 1600-1800. You will lose on 1200... it creates a huge calorie deficit. it's just not really sustainable. I like beer.. hard to fit that into 1200 calories. I lose better and it stays off at the 1600-1800 level. And it is hard to eat that much sometimes.

But health is more important then food. Food is just the vehicle to create health. :~) and it's yummy
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Why do you dislike me so much? Really, what is your issue with me?

I didn't track over the summer when I tried crossfit and just started tracking again. I joined this site in 2012.

What??? I don't know you at all and have no reason to dislike you I have no feelings about you personally one way or another. Just reponding to a thread I saw.

But when someone claims to eat 1200 a day and "love it" i have to ask questions because like other posters I just don't get it.

I don't get it because I eat a lot of food (between 1600 and 1800 on daily Average)and I don't exercise a whole lot (3x a week for appx 30mins each time) and weigh 165lbs and wear a loose size 9 to a size 8 (down 40lbs in about 10months) and I am 41....I work full time (office job), I have a husband who I game with most evenings and a 19 y/o son who loves home cooking...I love food too and eat what I want as long as it fits in my settings.

So you can see where I have to ask the questions (I just don't get it) and let people know they don't have to eat 1200 or exercise a lot to eat more...I am smaller then most woman half my age, who are shorter then me and weigh less then me and I eat more food and chances are those of us who subscribe to this method will have better success in the long run.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This ....so this....

Holly *kitten*, you are not even getting 40 grams of protein most days. Do you realize that a large % of your loss is most liekly coming from lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. A large deficit when you don't have a lot to lose, not getting enough protein, or not strength training can all on their own cause a large % of lean muscle loss, as a % of your total weight loss. You are experiencing at least 2 of the 3, hope you are doing some resistance training at least, which will still not be enough to retain muscle, just more than if you didn't. Please eat more, and get way, way, way more protein.

If you don't think you are losing muscle, then you are probably eating much more than you think you are, Do you weight all solid foods and measure liquids, if not you may be eating 10-50% more than you think.
  • Shaylyn1986
    Options

This ....so this....

Holly *kitten*, you are not even getting 40 grams of protein most days. Do you realize that a large % of your loss is most liekly coming from lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. A large deficit when you don't have a lot to lose, not getting enough protein, or not strength training can all on their own cause a large % of lean muscle loss, as a % of your total weight loss. You are experiencing at least 2 of the 3, hope you are doing some resistance training at least, which will still not be enough to retain muscle, just more than if you didn't. Please eat more, and get way, way, way more protein.

If you don't think you are losing muscle, then you are probably eating much more than you think you are, Do you weight all solid foods and measure liquids, if not you may be eating 10-50% more than you think.

I'm not losing anymore. :p I'm maintaining. I don't track weekends which is anything from sushi to italian to who knows what.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!