maybe tmi but im deathly scared!!

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yes i told the er dr that it has been going on for months now and he did a pregnancy test that came back negative and did a blood test and said my hemoglobin (sp?) is fine.... which surprised the heck out of me because how i feel. after that test came back he said it was just a bad period and common for my weight and to go see a gyno regularly. i told him no gyno will take me without insurance and he suggested i see my primary dr. ii called primary dr and he said he doesnt handle that kind of stuff. so im stuck until monday to see when health dept can take me. i have 3 hospitals in area tho so im going to go try another one tonight.

Ok it sounds like they examined you to ensure you're not in immediate danger at least from the bleeding. I think in that case it's reasonable for them to tell you to follow up with a regular doc. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting here other than that. Unless your condition has gotten worse since that visit I would go to the health dept on Monday.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why is the story changing?? First no doctor because of lack of insurance, then you claim you went to the ER, told them you'd been bleeding for 5 months straight with severe clotting, your feet are so swollen you can't wear shoes but the doctor told you it's just a bad period? I find that hard to believe. If you're telling the truth you need to also find a medical malpractice lawyer because that is incredibly poor medical treatment you were given that could result in all sorts of negative fallout on you. At the very least file a complaint with the hospital.

You really do need medical attention right now. Go to another hospital or urgent care center ASAP. This is urgent.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    A lot of people reading this thread seem fixated on the bleeding, which while serious is not the only issue, and very possibly not the most important concern.

The amount of retention, the swelling, the weakness, etc, are possible signs of some very serious life or death medical issues wherein a few minutes can literally be the difference between living or dieing. In some cases when the symptoms get bad enough that you realize you need to call 911 it can already be too late and you may die on the way to hospital.

The RN and the paramedic urging the OP to go to the hospital now are likely all too familiar with such cases.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Emergency room. This is serious.
    When you get the bill later from the hospital call them FIRST off and arrange for payment or you maybe they can cut you a deal.
    How much longer can you really wait? Until you pass out and can't leave by yourself and you need an ambulance?
    Best of luck and please take care.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Were your feet swelling the last time that you went to the ER?
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    sorry for the confusion. i have been to the er i have NOT been to a gyno. i CAN afford to go to gyno and get health insurance BUT no gyno in the area will see me without insurance and my insurance wont start til january. er dr said my levels are fine but i gained the weight and got swollen feet AFTER seeing him. thank you for all the concerns and opinions. i am going to er now to check out the swelling and weight gain and will call health dept first thing monday morning. please dont judge me or call me crazy or anything. i just wanted a second opinion so i dont feel stupid or alone. sorry!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    This thread demonstrates absolutely everything wrong with the American health care system. So broken it makes me angry and I don't have to use it.
  • supplemama
    Options
    Ok it sounds like they examined you to ensure you're not in immediate danger at least from the bleeding. I think in that case it's reasonable for them to tell you to follow up with a regular doc. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting here other than that.

The fact that her feet are so swollen she can't wear shoes and is weak is extremely concerning. I am not a medical professional but I have had extended bleeding, weakness, swelling, etc. of this sort (not this long; I went to the doctor after 2 weeks) and when the doctor saw my swollen ankles and feet she gasped and immediately got to work. I had to be admitted to the hospital. Turned out to be something quite serious. I won't say what as to not scare the OP (and really, it could be any number of things) but I would not let this go another day, another moment even.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the US, isn't this what Obamacare is for?
  • servilia
    Options
    Ok it sounds like they examined you to ensure you're not in immediate danger at least from the bleeding. I think in that case it's reasonable for them to tell you to follow up with a regular doc. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting here other than that.

The fact that her feet are so swollen she can't wear shoes and is weak is extremely concerning. I am not a medical professional but I have had extended bleeding, weakness, swelling, etc. of this sort (not this long; I went to the doctor after 2 weeks) and when the doctor saw my swollen ankles and feet she gasped and immediately got to work. I had to be admitted to the hospital. Turned out to be something quite serious. I won't say what as to not scare the OP (and really, it could be any number of things) but I would not let this go another day, another moment even.

I know this. I'm one of the people who highlighted the seriousness of the bloating to her. The she posted about having been to the ER and having blood tests, including hemoglobin. She wasn't clear whether they checked out her bloating as well but if they did blood tests and she had mentioned it to them then they should have and there was nothing in her post to indicate they didn't. In any case she now clarified that the bloating happened after that visit and that she will go again.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    sorry for the confusion. i have been to the er i have NOT been to a gyno. i CAN afford to go to gyno and get health insurance BUT no gyno in the area will see me without insurance and my insurance wont start til january. er dr said my levels are fine but i gained the weight and got swollen feet AFTER seeing him. thank you for all the concerns and opinions. i am going to er now to check out the swelling and weight gain and will call health dept first thing monday morning. please dont judge me or call me crazy or anything. i just wanted a second opinion so i dont feel stupid or alone. sorry!

You don't have to be sorry. This all makes more sense now, and you have the right plan in place now. Good luck!
  • servilia
    Options
    This thread demonstrates absolutely everything wrong with the American health care system. So broken it makes me angry and I don't have to use it.

Same here.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the US, isn't this what Obamacare is for?

lol no not really, unfortunately many are still without coverage. Much good and bad, rightly or wrongly, can be said about "Obamacare" but in this specific situation, as far as I am aware it does not help the OP.

ETA: To others... Can we NOT make this a bash/praise Obama/Obamacare thread, please. Thanks.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Baby Doll, you are not alone. I hope that it's nothing more serious than irregular periods. Better safe, and feeling foolish, than sorry.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If there is a Planned Parenthood in your neighborhood, they do free gynecological services.
  • supplemama
    Options

In the future though forget what anyone else thinks, or needing others' opinions to help you not feel 'stupid', this is YOUR life and at the end of the day no one else is going to take responsibility for it. You could just have easily had people on here telling you this is no big deal, that you could bleed and swell up no problems until January when your insurance kicks in. People on an internet message board are not a valid source for a second opinion. Other doctors are. So glad you are getting this checked out. I do hope you will be ok.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Go to emergency room, they have to take you.[/i]

^^^^
  • miller930
    miller930 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A lot of people reading this thread seem fixated on the bleeding, which while serious is not the only issue, and very possibly not the most important concern.

The amount of retention, the swelling, the weakness, etc, are possible signs of some very serious life or death medical issues wherein a few minutes can literally be the difference between living or dieing. In some cases when the symptoms get bad enough that you realize you need to call 911 it can already be too late and you may die on the way to hospital.

The RN and the paramedic urging the OP to go to the hospital now are likely all too familiar with such cases.

THIS! ^

I'm currently a 911 Dispatcher and a former active EMT. The sudden large weight gain and pedal edema (foot and ankle swelling) alone is cause enough for immediate care. The body is filling up with fluid. Please listen to Your health workers, it's our 24-7 job to look out for the welfare of others! Well wishes for the OP. Please update us if You can!
  • servilia
    Options
    No one thinks you're stupid or crazy! Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

That doesn't kick in until January.