maybe tmi but im deathly scared!!

Options

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oedema guys....not "edema"....yikes!!!!

Check again! "Edema" and "Oedema" is the difference between "American English" and "British English" .....yikes!!!!!

yes and yes to the "color - colour" person...is it the "English" language...or sonething different??

Actually, I apologise...nothing wrong with a bit of lingual difference...and personally,...LOVE you North Americans...sorry for being a prat re: the language spelling xx
  • miller930
    miller930 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Check again! "Edema" and "Oedema" is the difference between "American English" and "British English" .....yikes!!!!!

yes and yes to the "color - colour" person...is it the "English" language...or sonething different??

Actually, I apologise...nothing wrong with a bit of lingual difference...and personally,...LOVE you North Americans...sorry for being a prat re: the language spelling xx

No Worries! The Point of this thread is that the OP is receiving treatment as we type for her Edema Or Oedema. :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

No Worries! The Point of this thread is that the OP is receiving treatment as we type for her Edema Or Oedema. :smile:

Yep, and I'm an English teacher who deals with both versions of the language on a daily basis, so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to the differences between them.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    wow, the health system there is seriously flawed if someone cant see a doctor simply because they dont have insurance. i feel for your emergency rooms that would be clogged with people with simple ailments that can be treated by a general practitioner that will cause patients with real emergencies may have to wait longer than is needed.

here in australia there isnt a single doctors surgery that a person couldnt make an appointment at, insured or not. infact, majority of them are covered by our government health system where we dont even have to pay.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad and relieved that you managed to get someone to take your symptoms seriously OP! I hope you get the treatment you need at a price you can afford.

I'm even more thankful now for the NHS. We grumble but shouldn't.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I will agree with the majority of posts. Go to the ER--they have to treat you.

Apparently not, because she's been to the ER and they refused to treat her. (Sounds like the ER doc basically said "you're fat; it's normal.")
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the US, isn't this what Obamacare is for?

No, because insurance from the exchanges under the Affordable Care Act doesn't kick in until next year and she needs insurance now to be able to get a gynecologist to accept her as a patient.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    hey guys. i went to er. same dr as before and he said its just water retention from my period combined with my weight. and im anemic but to just take iron pills. i got so furious and demanded another dr. and finally got one and it was a female!!and as soon as that dr saw my feet and heard about the weight gain she admitted me. theyve been running tests and giving me.a couple units. ill update when i get more info.

I'm so glad you finally found a doctor who would pay attention to you. (I hope somebody in the hospital gives the other doc a good reprimand.) Good for you for standing up for yourself!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Deleted - because I see by a later post that the poster had a change of heart.
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    dr said i have diabetes and an irregular heart beat that they are Still testing. not good :( girl dr said guy dr was very wrong for trying to send me home. also she did an ultrasound and i have 7 cysts between the two ovaries and one the size of a grapefruit! she performed a d &c. could be in hospital for a couple of days. so glad i stuck up and demanded for a second opinion!!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you've been properly treated! Good luck, hope all goes well. Re those mentioning how prog only pills might stop it: I actually know someone who bled for ~90 days after they began the progesterone only pill (Cerazette in particular) although it is supposed to STOP periods. (you can get minor breakthrough bleeding). Think it's more dependent on the individual than anything.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Emergengy room? They can't refuse to take you plus they offer discounts to "underincome" families. ( if you qualify)
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Sooooooo glad u went and got tough with them. I would put in a complaint on that dr.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have had T1 diabetes nearly 30 years. Are u type one or 2?
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    type 1
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got care. I read the post earlier but I didn't know what to advise, other than what everyone else was saying, get to the hospital somehow, no matter what.

A doctor who takes the time to notice things makes all the difference in the world. I'm glad you got a doctor who didn't just try to send you home without testing.

There's no such thing as 'just a bad period' when it happens for as long and as heavily as you had it. When I first got treatment for PCOS and was put on Yasmin birth control, it sent my hormones on a rollercoaster. I had a month long period, but I wasn't hemorrhaging like you were. Five months would never be normal, especially if that doctor knew you had PCOS.

I know it is scary to finally find out what's wrong, but once you know what's wrong, you can deal with it effectively. Good luck, and I hope you feel better and get your situation sorted.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that had pretty much the same thing you had...make sure they test you for anemia if they haven't already. With all of those months of "periods," you are very likely severely anemic, especially w/the symptoms you describe. When you take the iron, take it w/250 mg of vitamin C...it'll help your body absorb it better & lessen the chances for iron supplement GI issues.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    that is very scary!! Go to the hospital or anything that will take you! You need to get your iron up and also your minerals. Your body could be retaining water to try to fill in for the things you are losing in your body! :( sorry you are gaining weight, but until you get everything else semi normal you probably will struggle with losing anything. I know hormonal issues from experience and until I went to my doctor and got on a multi vitamin and things to help with it, I did not lose 1lb. So please go find some doctor that will take you or go to Emergency Hospital, because you need help!!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    dr said i have diabetes and an irregular heart beat that they are Still testing. not good :( girl dr said guy dr was very wrong for trying to send me home. also she did an ultrasound and i have 7 cysts between the two ovaries and one the size of a grapefruit! she performed a d &c. could be in hospital for a couple of days. so glad i stuck up and demanded for a second opinion!!

didn't see this till after I posted. So sorry your being diagnosed with serious things!! but know losing weight like you want to will help with most of these. I will pray for you and hope you are alright!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I am happy they are taking care of you. Good luck dear.