Calories in calories out

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This stupid *kitten* **** is still going?

Some of us worked today and got in late.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm....even with a damaged hypothalamus CICO is still fundamentally true. It just becomes very difficult to balance the equation.

But, difficult though it may be to achieve predictably, a deficit will still result in weight loss, and a surplus a gain.

Remember, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it just changes form.

Looking more closely. Seems hypothalamic obesity only adds modifiers to the equation that make it more difficult to balance. So I am sticking with the idea that CICO is still 100% and have yet to see a single shred of evidence otherwise.
  • mmirsaidi
    Options
    has she checked her Thyroids?
  • YesIAm17
    Options
    double post
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I doubt she's got more than one..
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Ummmmm....even with a damaged hypothalamus CICO is still fundamentally true. It just becomes very difficult to balance the equation.

But, difficult though it may be to achieve predictably, a deficit will still result in weight loss, and a surplus a gain.

Looking more closely. Seems hypothalamic obesity only adds modifiers to the equation that make it more difficult to balance. So I am sticking with the idea that CICO is still 100% and have yet to see a single shred of evidence otherwise.

Did you have to say this twice
  • YesIAm17
    Options

It bares repeating.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Once for each ear.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hypothalamic obesity absolutely 100% obeys "calories in, calories out", and every one of those links demonstrates that.

To demonstrate CICO doesn't work, you would have to produce a human being who gains weight with an intake of zero calories.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Since you'll probably claim bias or ignore it, I'm gonna go with 'yes'.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat salads?
  • YesIAm17
    Options
    Hypothalamic obesity absolutely 100% obeys "calories in, calories out", and every one of those links demonstrates that.

To demonstrate CICO doesn't work, you would have to produce a human being who gains weight with an intake of zero calories.

Yup, and did you notice even though I gave the OP a premature victory there, they still managed to troll on? I am actually kind of impressed at this point.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20s, I could eat like a horse. I was 5'4", and 105 soaking wet, a few months after my second child. When I hit 40, the weight gradually started to come on, so I reduced my intake and leveled off at about 130. Not a bad weight. At 45 I had a total hysterectomy, and the weight started to come on again. At first I did hormone replacement, then stopped that, as I was told it was what made me gain. I am 62, and need to lose at least 30 pounds. I eat 1200 calories a day.... not losing.... slow metabolism, slow heart rate due to heart meds.... bummer.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's like a train-wreck. I can't look away and I can't leave the scene.
    Wrong, a caloric deficit does work for everyone. Show 1 properly documented case in all of history where it did not work... good luck.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19955767

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12574189

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22577758

There are cases where people cannot lose weight even when balancing (calories in) and (calories out) due to having a damaged hypothalamus.
    The more you know! :P

(I'm not disagreeing with you though, you are right for like 99.9% of the population)

Uhhh duhhhh. Lets completely deny the studies that have been done that show it doesn't work for everyone.

Each of those three links are essentially the same investigation. In fact each paper has at least one author that is credited on at least one of the others. They are all talking about the same group of people.
    This group of people are those that have undergone some physical damage to the hypothalamus and/or pituitary structures. (not just quit working properly unbeknownst to them, actually surgically removed, resected or otherwise structurally altered by an insult to it like infection or head trauma.)

This does not apply to anyone but a few select individuals on the planet and does not validate your position.

Furthermore, It cannot be used to explain your sisters apparent ability to eat calories at will with no consequences of weight. It is at best irrelevant to your argument because the above mentioned population eat less than a calorie balance and still gain weight. Exactly the opposite of your sister.
    This was hypothesized in your OP, but only causally mentioned as a counterblance to your sister's seemingly impossible status. Even if you knew someone who had Hypothalamic Obesity, they wouldn't be in the same position as others as to why they can't lose weight. People tend to remember brain surgery or a significant head injury and subsequent hospital stay. It's no secret, their endocrinologist has laid it all out for them.

Find me ONE study where a regulatory structures alteration provides for the possibility to consume vast amounts of calories and not deposit them as fat. With or without the persons knowledge.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQil5KAxkfMfPwR64lLpqIJs9aDver9-skO2r0ZEITKk50AN8lywg

y u no like salad?
  • YesIAm17
    Options
    It's like a train-wreck. I can't look away and I can't leave the scene.

^^^ Exactly!!!!!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQil5KAxkfMfPwR64lLpqIJs9aDver9-skO2r0ZEITKk50AN8lywg

y u no like salad?

Hmm. I've been doing it wrong.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

that might be her problem
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I've been accused of having more than one because of my >3000 average TDEE (and ~2700 even on non-exercise days) despite being "old". I strongly recommend it for effective weight management.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I've been accused of having more than one because of my >3000 average TDEE (and ~2700 even on non-exercise days) despite being "old". I strongly recommend it for effective weight management.

Dibs if you're sharing the extra.
This discussion has been closed.