How are you going to avoid holiday binging?

Options
Last night, I went to a friend's house. I did nothing but NUM UM UM. It was not even a holiday. But when you are having fun with friends and the food is right in your face. Everyone is snacking on something. What can I do? :drinker:

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My plan for holidays or going out is just to make up for it before or after, and try to be reasonable with my choices/portions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    portion control and moderation are valuable tools....they are learned tools and you learn by practice. This is of great importance to long term maintenance of your weight.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    During Christmas I'm planning on eating the hell out of the veggie trays we always have. Instead of ranch I'll be using hummus, and I plan on hopefully cooking a little myself. It's weird because my parents don't accept my dieting (even though it's my mother who's been calling me pregnant for 3 years,) but my fiance's parents would totally accept and praise not just my dieting but my vegetarian lifestyle. It'll be easy there, but more difficult at home.

For those weeks I plan on exercising more and possibly changing my goals to .5 lb a week instead of 1 to help alleviate my stress.
  • Cass0422
    Cass0422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't about avoiding it because then I'll just want it even more. It's about portion control. And even if I do eat more than I should, I'll make sure to log it so I can be accountable for what I'm eating. I don't consider it 'cheating' if I log it - because then I'm being honest with myself for what I ate and holding myself accountable for the bad food decisions I made that day.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat sensibly as if it were a normal day, except for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years' Eve. Three days of binging in the grand scheme of things isn't going to make a difference and you only live once.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat and enjoy. Of course, as others have suggested portion control and fill up on lean protiens and veggies. Enjoy
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I will work it all into my calorie goal, with moderation. I plan eating everything.
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Purchase a PS4 and plug myself in...probably by the time I'm done...the Holidays will be far gone :)

But seriously I'll do my best and follow my diet, yet if I break it at all...I'll just get back on the horse!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why would I avoid holiday binging?
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    By declining all invitations as I do each year. I catch up with family and friends after January 1st
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In terms of long term mental/emotional health, it is important to learn to not vilify food. And part of learning how to do this "right" in a way that is both emotionally and physically productive, is learning to accept that there will be days when you let it go, and learning how to get right back on the wagon. First thing is not seeing it as a binge. Drop that word from your vocabulary.

I'm not going to avoid holiday eating. I'm going to try to be strict enough about my overall nutrition habits the rest of the days to ensure that going over by a significant amount on those days does not have an impact in the grand scheme of things.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Same way I avoid binging on the other 350-some days out of the year. I know how many calories I have available before I sit down to eat. I know how miserable I am when I binge eat. My stomach is so sore when I try to make it stretch to fit all that food in. I feel sluggish/run down/yucky after the binge on the foods (especially tons of carbs). I don't like that feeling. It's true (to some extent) that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels (yes, I know that's a mantra of the eating disorder folk, but for me, it works...in moderation). Truth be told, I probably won't be in the situation of a huge spread with friends/family this year anyway, but then again, someone may invite me to eat...they may have a banquet at work...who knows? I know I will be ready, since I've been in this mindset for three months now (more when the banquet comes around). I just know...I GOT THIS...and if I do go over my calorie counts, it'll be OK...so long as I'm not more than 250 cals over (since I'm on a 250 cal deficit).

Best of luck to ya! :drinker:
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I stay home more than not, but even if I go out the bottom line is I am going to choose to have self control and not stuff my pie hole. LOL It is completely and entirely up to me and that is a great position to be in!!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I try and set a limit of 5000-6000 if it's something like thanksgiving or whatever... It's not a huge deal if you go way over once and while; especially if you train hard and eat right most days... Being that in even in a caloric surplus carbs and protein have a hard time being converted to fat; so assuming your not eating butter balls dipped in straight fructose; the amount of fat gain won't be too much; and hey you have more glycogen reserves and thyroid hormones to carry your way through to achieve performance goals. You may or may not be able to actively control holiday over eating; or maybe you don't care. But in any case; an extremely shredded Swedish man named Martin Berkhan put out tips to passively control the extent of the damage.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/cheat-day-strategies-for-hedonist.html

Otherwise as my imaginary friend Johnny DeCasto says "Fohget aboudit, and let the good times role son". Because balance between fitness and real life; gotta have it; the people that take weight and fitness way too seriously don't last; or they fix their issues. I'm telling you this as a man of experience; whose been playing the game for 3 years and built a decent body with a good amount of horse power for the time and hiccups (pretty massive hiccups at that) experienced. The liquor cabinet on the left of the shoe box is under your command Captain Levinsky.

The days after your 'hiccup', the absolute wrong thing to do is to do drastic dieting because it will probably cause more brutal 'hiccups' in the long run. In other words, the run was located in Camp Rilea, near Seaside. Texas is big.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's tough. We had friends over yesterday and we had cookies, chips, banana pudding, soda, beer... I had one cookie. Still pretty proud of myself. But it sucked, especially as I was hungry... I had beef jerky instead. Then asked everyone to take their food away when they left lol (we still have some though).

The thing is, once it's passed, you don't tell yourself 'I wish I had eaten those cookies', you know? It's what kinda helps me.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat sensibly as if it were a normal day, except for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years' Eve. Three days of binging in the grand scheme of things isn't going to make a difference and you only live once.
    This!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    For some reason (thank goodness) my MIL isn't big into appetizers or snacky stuff before the big holiday meal. So my plan is to eat mostly turkey breast with a little gravy and veggies and maybe a little pile of sweet potatoes, and a reasonable portion of dessert. I'm going to have a good time and basically just limit portions. I am of the opinion that it's not overeating on 2 or 3 holidays a year, but 365 days a year that is the problem.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    portion control and moderation are valuable tools....they are learned tools and you learn by practice. This is of great importance to long term maintenance of your weight.

I agree! Besides the words "no thank you," are also very helpful.

I am having a hard time trying to understand the relationship between holidays and binging, and why people assumes that everybody will binge during the holidays. Self control is so powerful and gratifying than more people should try it.

On the other hand, if you really love food that much and you need, have, must or choose to eat everything on sight, then just enjoy it without regrets and don't call it binging.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    It's the holidays. You can let loose a little bit? At least I will xD