Thoughts on pepper spray?

Options

Replies

• IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Personal Safety Alarm with Cord
    MC-231-Black.jpg
    I'm not promoting this company, but the device in general. Noise is going to be your number one defense above all in an attack situation. Pull the string on this little bas*ard and it lets off an ear-piercing scream. It doesn’t hurt anyone, can't be used against you, can be heard for a mile, can’t be easily deactivated and makes the attacker want to get as far away as possible.

This is the best thing I can suggest for anyone who fears having their self-defense device being taken away and used against them. For people who are comfortable with pepper spray, OC, knife or handgun... this would be a great secondary.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Really? I could care less wether it was legal or not. It's my safety and life that may be in jeopardy. If somebody messes with me while I'm running, they'll learn to not do it again!

To all the posters above me that think it's wrong to defend yourself against an attacker....... good luck!

Defend yes. To use something which may kill (look up positional asphixia) the opponent; no. There are far more effective and less Injurious methods which will not end up with you facing a possible manslaughter charge.

I guess it depends on where you live and the laws regarding the use of lethal force in self-defense. But I do not feel any moral discomfort about killing someone who threatens my safety and well-being. It is my view (and in my state, it is the law) that if you attempt to unlawfully cause me physical harm, you are essentially begging to be removed from the planet. I have no duty to do something "less injurious" to someone who is about to rape or murder me.

As for the OP's question, the trouble with carrying a weapon of any kind is that if someone attacks you from behind and discovers the weapon before you have a chance to pull it, it is pretty much game over for you. So the best defense to a threat is to not put yourself in a position to face one. A lot of this stuff is obvious ... stay in safe areas, go out when there will be lots of people around. Always, always, ALWAYS trust your instincts. If you don't feel good about turning down a certain street, don't. If you don't feel good about a person you see approaching in the distance, turn around. etc. And I think it is always good to know the basics of self-defense.

But specifically regarding a weapon, above all, know the laws in your area about what kind of weapon you can have and when you are legally permitted to use it or to threaten the use of it (in Texas, for instance, you cannot threaten to shoot someone unless actually shooting them would be defensible in a court of law). If you need a license of any kind, get it, and DO NOT carry without it. Know your weapon, know how to carry it, know how to draw and use it safely (AND PRACTICE USING IT ON A REGULAR BASIS, although this applies to firearms more so than pepper spray), keep it in good working condition, and be constantly aware of your surroundings.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I manage a liquor store and was sprayed with bear mace in a robbery and it was a horrible experience. So all i can say, if you choose to use it, remember is an effective weapon, treat it with the same respect you would a gun.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray is illegal here but I carry it with me anyway. I too am a very small lady and while I can defend myself- I have my limits. I am also out very often alone at night, and while my town is very safe, the one next to me was once listed as the most dangerous in the country.

One of my biggest problems is the small amount they give you. In the case where you'd want to empty the whole container, you don't even get that much to use (10 1-second sprays in my keychain model).

As gruesome as it sounds, I've heard all women should carry a big can of hornet/wasp spray in their purses. There's a LOT more in the container, the spray is a long straight stream so it can reach at a distance...and it usually doesn't spray back or around the area--just where it's going. Obviously, if someone was attacking me, I wouldn't care about permanently blinding them. And I don't really think any judge will rule in their favor against me for it either.

In other aspects of self defense, I have taken a Krav Maga training course and that provided me with a lot of real-life defense strategies to use what I've got against them and get the hell out of there. I'd def recommend one for anyone out alone!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No weapon is better than your own mind and body. Take a self defense class to learn some very simple moves that will get you away from an attacker. The class should include an actual mugging practicum to "graduate" (you know the kind where a guy in a padded suit attacks you and you have to knock him out). No weapon, or self-defense tactic, will help you if you don't have the mindset to kick the snot out of someone so you can get away (that is, afterall, the real necessity; it's nice if you can Chuck Norris someone to death, but you really just want to get away). The classes where you really scream and hit and kick - without pulling the punch/kick - give you the awareness and muscle-memory to be effective.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I consider it a low calorie condiment so I don't log it.

:laugh:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I was just having a conversation about this the other night with a medic who works the night shift in high crime areas. I am thinking about getting pepper spray too. There are pros and cons but if something were to happen to me I'd rather have it on me and the option to use it than nothing at all. Yes, it can be used against you but you're already being attacked anyway - it could make you more vulnerable to defend yourself if it gets in the hands of your attacker but most people are bigger and stronger than me so they would already have the upper hand if I were attacked, at least there is a chance I could get away if I am able to use it on them. The medic agreed - and told me to be make lots of noise to draw attention.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've thought of pepper spray myself. We have a lot in my family that have concealed gun permits and use them, though I myself don't (someday I may get to it). If you're unsure/nervous, I'd say the first thing you can do is take a self-defense class. There's a heck of a lot you can do with your elbow to the face or knee to the nuts! Vary where you run so creepers don't have you on an easy schedule. Keep your cell phone (and have your family know where you are). You don't have to live in the slums to be attacked, so it's great you're thinking and planning.

ETA: when I say they "use" concealed gun permits, I hope you know I mean to actually carry sidearms on them, not using the sidearms willy-nilly ;)

While this is true, and really everyone should take a self-defense class, there is no way I want an attacker to get within arm's or leg's reach of me if I can help it.

One of the benefits of concealed carry is that there are good odds you'll scare an attacker off just by drawing the gun, though there are lots of people who freeze when it comes to actually pulling the trigger (understandably). We were told that if you can't imagine yourself killing someone in defense of your life or someone else's, you have no business carrying at all, and I definitely agree.

As far as pepper spray, keep in mind that wind is an issue. Don't buy the liquid spray - get the more expensive ones that shoot a thick gel. Something along these lines: www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster. They're more accurate to aim, there's less spread so reduces potential collateral damage, and it's less likely to blow back on you. I think this one shoots farther as well, but can't remember. If you buy it, make sure you carry it all the time and where it's easy to put your hands on it or it'll do you no good and you might as well save your money.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Really? I could care less wether it was legal or not. It's my safety and life that may be in jeopardy. If somebody messes with me while I'm running, they'll learn to not do it again!

To all the posters above me that think it's wrong to defend yourself against an attacker....... good luck!

Defend yes. To use something which may kill (look up positional asphixia) the opponent; no. There are far more effective and less Injurious methods which will not end up with you facing a possible manslaughter charge.

The chance of death due to oc spray is pretty rare. If you were using it to defend yourself and death occurred a manslaughter charge would be an awfully hard one to prove.

- but the fact that it has happened (plenty on the internet) means i would not be my first defense of choice.

Meh, manslaughter...As my shooting drill instructor who is a sheriff says when asked about legality of situations:

It's always better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I'd practice right away with anything I ended up getting to use, for self defense, even if I had to buy two. Adrenaline will make it hard to think what to do and many people have trouble with fine motor skills when adrenaline is pumping. That's why it's good to have safety numbers on a one dial on your phone so you don't have to figure anything out when you're stressed. You probably won' t be able to dial a phone if you're fighting someone.
    Also agree about the bear spray--it's stronger than Pepper. But the key is preparing for the time when you will use it. Set up a paper target or object outside in the position/height of a potential attacker, walk yourselves through steps with the attacker approaching you from front, side and behind. Also use a scenario where you just got knocked on your butt while running from an attacker you didn't see and figure out what to do when you're on the ground .
    . The first time you practice using your spray, you probably will make a mistake. That's fine. then you practice eliminating the mistake. This will show you that you cannot prepare for every scenario but will teach you the steps you want to know to do automatically.
    I think hands on self defense is important, because you need to know what it feels like to struggle against an attacker and also to protect yourself from attempts to incapacitate you. If you've never been hit hard in the face before, it is painful and you must be prepared to fight through it.
    Otherwise, run with a buddy and have a safety plan. A plan is only as good as the person who can implement it.
    Congrats with your running.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd practice right away with anything I ended up getting to use, for self defense, even if I had to buy two.
    Also agree about the bear spray--it's stronger than Pepper. But the key is preparing for the time when you will use it. Set up a paper target or object outside in the position/height of a potential attacker, walk yourselves through steps with the attacker approaching you from front, side and behind. Also use a scenario where you just got knocked on your butt while running from an attacker you didn't see and figure out what to do when you're on the ground .
    . The first time you practice using your spray, you probably will make a mistake. That's fine. then you practice eliminating the mistake. This will show you that you cannot prepare for every scenario but will teach you the steps you want to know to do automatically.
    I think hands on self defense is important, because you need to know what it feels like to struggle against an attacker and also to protect yourself from attempts to incapacitate you.
    Otherwise, run with a buddy and have a safety plan. A plan is only as good as the person who can implement it.
    Congrats with your running.

I think the difference in the bear spray again is dependant on where you are. I can't find the laws but all of the bear spray I can find in canada isn't as strong as law enforcement issued pepper spray.

My apologies, I assumed it was the same everywhere.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Personal Safety Alarm with Cord
    MC-231-Black.jpg
    I'm not promoting this company, but the device in general. Noise is going to be your number one defense above all in an attack situation. Pull the string on this little bas*ard and it lets off an ear-piercing scream. It doesn’t hurt anyone, can't be used against you, can be heard for a mile, can’t be easily deactivated and makes the attacker want to get as far away as possible.

This is the best thing I can suggest for anyone who fears having their self-defense device being taken away and used against them. For people who are comfortable with pepper spray, OC, knife or handgun... this would be a great secondary.

I see the potential for a garrote in there.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My husband used to work in a university security department that was under the direction of a police department. They carried pepper spray, and part of the training was to be exposed to a full dose. If you want to carry pepper spray, I would suggest looking into a full training that includes such (one reason is so you know what you're doing to someone, but the other is that there is often a risk of blowback hitting you, and it's good to know how to deal with it, or if you can).

Anyway, he came home from that specific training (where he was exposed) bright red. It took him an hour after exposure before he could drive home. Think of the worst experience you've had cutting up an onion and multiply that by about 10. Or imagine the burn of a habanero pepper or stronger, but on your face and eyes, not just your tongue. (He said it feels like your face and eyes are boiling) It's not pleasant, but it's rarely lethal.

Also consider that there are some people out there who just aren't affected by it. Again, quite rare, but it is a possibility that you might have to defend yourself in another way anyway. :ohwell:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a little canned air horn (I'm not sure exactly what it's called). We have deer, coyote, fox, possum, etc., in our area and the noise scares them off. Might do the same for an attacker and your neighbors would hear the noise and be alerted that something was wrong.

Yup! I have bear spray...for bears...but when talking to the local outdoor-store guy he explained how bear spray can backfire on you and suggested an airhorn...for bears or people. Unless you are running in an isolated area, an airhorn is a great idea. Ok it's not a weapon, but if you're in a populated area, the blast from that airhorn will be a great deterrent.
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Well said!!!

I'm a female and I carry one all the time, running or not.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My big concern with pepper spray is how windy it is where I live. There's a lot of blow back on the person using it - you're supposed to spray it while stepping back to avoid it - and with wind, I'd be too afraid of injuring myself to use it effectively! Take a self-defense course and learn how to effectively make someone's eyes bleed with your thumbs, get out of various holds, stop from being pinned on the ground, etc. I think it's a more useful all-around life skill than relying on pepper spray. Although if you want the pepper spray for piece of mind, definitely learn how to use it effectively before you begin relying on it.

In my city/state (DC) pepper spray needs to be registered, but I've heard cops say they're not going to charge a woman for carrying unregistered pepper spray around.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    There's a good piece related to this topic here: http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/safety/rtpselfd.asp

bump to save that... and to remember to check out bear spray!
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray in my purse at all times, and if I'm feeling threatened by my surroundings, I take it out of my purse while I'm in a safe place (like my locked vehicle), and put it in my pocket, and then I proceed to keep my hand in my pocket, wrapped around it, as much as possible. That said, I carry it with full knowledge that I'm only going to use it in ideal circumstances - if it's windy, I'm not going to risk disabling myself with it - and that it may or may not work; not only is it proven ineffective on people who are heavily under the influence or very determined, but recent studies have shown that a growing percentage of the population is not allergic to the ingredients in it, which means all it would do is give them a slight itching or burning sensation, rather than really deterring them.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting some self-defense training and then deciding what to carry, because whatever you decide on will only be as good as your ability to use it. Plus the class itself will be good exercise :)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I see the potential for a garrote in there.

LOL, I had to google that.