Running - Ladies, do you wear underwear under your spandex?

Options
Hi -- this question is really for the females.

Do you wear underwear underneath your spandex when you run? I've heard some do and some don't. Sometimes my underwear gets in the way and I thought, do I even need to wear underwear? I have friends that say they don't wear em, they just wear their spandex.

Sorry if this is TMI -- just curious. I am an underwear runner, but am contemplating swapping teams, haha :)

Thanks ladies!
Joanna

Replies

• ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I feel very strange with no panties on lol... I always wear them! I do know some people who don't.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't wear spandex OR underwear to run.
  • funky_swimmer
    Options
    I always wear a seamless boyshort underwear so they are more like the cut of the spandex... if you are worried about VPL seamless makes it less noticeable. Comfort wise you don't get the thong effect and they don't bunch under the spandex.

Hope this helps!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I wear compression pants/capris and I don't wear anything under.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wear "girlshorts". I guess the girlshorts have a slightly shorter leg than boyshorts, which tend to roll up on my thighs. Mine aren't seamless, but I was buying girlshorts made from modal from the Gap for a while. The modal seems to have enough wicking capabilities so it isn't like cotton that's going to get all sweaty, but it's much softer than spandex or whatever my other workout gear is made of, so it's totally comfy and suitable for wearing with regular clothes too. And with shorts - no bunching or rubbing!

I couldn't see them on their website the last time I looked, darn it!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thongs were made for this use.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    boyshorts, thong or no line undies (preference in that order).
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I go with compression shorts or yoga pants and no undies.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't wear underwear PERIOD, whether its lifting or running. That material just gets in the way for no apparent reason and I love the freedom I have when I don't have any on. Call me Captain COMMANDO!! ROTFLMBO!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In for you know what ;)
  • Shayley20
    Shayley20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    IN for no underwear!
  • anji888
    Options
    I don't wear underwear during workouts the majority of the time. A lot of my time is spent cycling and undies cause unnecessary chaffing. I doesn't help that I hate panty lines. I have saddle bags and nothing accentuates them more than a sad panty line showing through. Yuck...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I wear comfortable underwear and have visible panty lines. Guys are too busy looking at my *kitten* to notice the panty lines (I've asked).
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This kinda thread is practically guranteed to turn into something creepy at some point, lol.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always wear underwear, just in case I get hit by a car or something while out running. What would the paramedics think lol? :smile:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I wear thongs, but thats because thats what I always wear. I tend to run in spandex capris just because for my longer distances I dont like my shorts riding up or my legs rubbing together. I just did my first half yesterday and had absolutely no problems.

I however have a REALLY hard time going commando at all and would probably just suck it up with the panty lines.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've tried going commando and I don't think I'll do it again, for two reasons:

1. My running capris have seams in weird places and that's not comfortable.
    2. I figure if I have a choice between VPL and cameltoe, I'll take the VPL.
  • 1QtwithaQ
    1QtwithaQ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont wear any!
  • headingforfit
    headingforfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did wear underwear for the longest time. Recently stopped wearing them when running or doing hot yoga. No more panty lines! Plus, I decided it didn't make sense to wear my non athletic underwear (cotton etc) underneath my fancy dry fit yoga and running tights.