Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I bake like a mo-fo and I lift like a boss! In fact, I LIFT WHILE I BAKE.

I.. I think I love you.

Marry me and we can do epic lifts and go baking cupcakes into the sunset. Like total bosses.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow...So I get back from the gym...You know my weights class and spinning and bettering myself...And still more ridicule and jokes. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey and an apple. I supposed I should have swapped my healthy option for a sugar filled donut according to these responses

Can you just try to understand my side? Some "support" site. Maybe I should i have posted this in motivation and support or something. Again I'm not talking to those that were serious.

Okay, in all seriousness....your "friend" embarking on a new career is also bettering herself. She will be (I assume) trying to make delicious treats, which will likely not come with a stipulation that a dozen must be eaten at a sitting. Those who opt to enjoy them, whether in moderation or to excess, will be entirely accountable for their own choices. Either you are happy for her chance to enter the field of her choosing or you aren't. I'm afraid I find the question ridiculous, but my intention is not to be mean.

For the record, how do you think the sugar and calories in your peanut butter and jelly and honey sandwich and your apple compare to those of a donut? Not too far off, I'd bet. What if your friend was going to work as a beekeeper?

If I chose whether to support my friends based on what they cooked or ate, I would not consider myself to be a friend at all. And plotting to take time off from work rather than share in celebrating their successes or discussing any valid concerns with said friends, well...I guess you have to decide for yourself, but I would definitely think this was an opportunity to re-evaluate my reasoning.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting because I have had a similar talk with a friend of mine (well not sure if they are still my friend.. drama... but anyways...), about sweets and moderation. They lost over 100 lbs and are now going vegan and they used to tell me my choices were bad. They would not even like the fact I was eating boneless skinless chicken breast, so brining up sweets... talk about a long conversation.

He sort of believes what the OP says on basically sugar and what not being "evil." I am overweight and too have like 100 lbs I'd like to lose. BUT I have not cut out sweets or meat. I think staying within my calories is enough, as well as working out. I do eat better, no fast food really (very, very rare), and usually eat at home. I think OP you have a view that is rightfully yours but I do not think the way you are speaking of your friend or their choice isn't fair. They are not going to kill people with their profession. If a person cannot eat ONE donut for example, but instead 4 in one sitting... that is not the fault of the donut, but the person.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with?
    173AoDB
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I eat pastry treats and I'm not fat anymore. When I was fat I didn't binge on luxury chocolates, I over ate on mass produced refined carbohydrates.

A gourmet treat is fine for indulgence every one in a while.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think you should make a visit to a French patisserie, for research purposes, before making a decision. (And take me with you)
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    1000x500px-LL-c28b345c_gleason_not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

This ...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that pastry calories don't even count, especially if they are gourmet.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    orthorexic much?
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you actually for real?! Your friend is not shoving too much food down people's throats, we all have choices to make regarding what we eat. Who doesn't love a nice pastry treat, we just can't eat them all the time. Someone else would get the job if she didn't, so how about actually being a friend and being happy for her.

^ This.

You should be happy for her.

The problem with "commerciallized" pastries is the quantity most folk eat. Like going to costco and getting a giant sheet cake, or a giant muffin is crazy. Portion size is way out of control.

A good pastry chef will emphasize quality over quantity. I have seen a movement in my area for smaller or "right size" portions. I am not sure if nation wide , but i will assume so. This new emphasis on smaller portions is often being championed by folks like your friends.

Have a "right size" pastry is a once a while thing. And as such it is truly a delight to eat something made with care and quality. For example getting a good croisant from an excellent baker. Sure it is smaller than what you get at your local chain store, but it will be far better tasting and can fit in your diet. Another example is a little cup cake shop i go to. The cup cake are a fraction of the size i have seen elsewhere... but because of there size i can easily fit the calories into my diet and still continue to loose weight -- and without sacrificing the delights of life. There is also a little pie place I go to every once in a while. A slice of her pies is not much more expensive than you can find elsewhere. The portions are a little smaller (because that is what the customers want), but each slice is a bit of heaven.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I read all nine pages of this thread... Couldn't stop thinking about delicious, mouth-watering, succulent gourmet pastries... Binged on about 4,000 calories' worth of Pop-Tarts and other evil sugary wages of sin. Now I'm gonna gain 10 pounds overnight.

Ryry, you sick *kitten*. This is all your fault.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in Starbucks right now, and while the level of pastry deliciousness is not anywhere near what your friend will be making, I still want some.

Damn you RyRy....daaaaamn you!!! :angry: I blame you for bringing this up.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    What a bizarre thread?! :huh:

So what if your friend wanted to become an engineer for Ferrari? Would you not be happy for them because someone who can't drive properly wraps themselves around a tree in one? :noway:

Or a are people not allowed to run a vineyard only because there are alcoholics in this world?

Ridiculous.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Wow...So I get back from the gym...You know my weights class and spinning and bettering myself...And still more ridicule and jokes. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey and an apple. I supposed I should have swapped my healthy option for a sugar filled donut according to these responses

Can you just try to understand my side? Some "support" site. Maybe I should i have posted this in motivation and support or something. Again I'm not talking to those that were serious.

So your lunch of flour, a sweetener, fruit, nuts and fat is different and more healthy than a pastry? Do you know what kind of ingredients go into pastries? I'm guessing this is a master trolling thread. At least I hope so because I truly hope you aren't as ignorant, hypocritical and orthorexic as your OP sounds.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Time to "introduce a little anarchy"

bacon_cake_by_2dchew-d2ylpfz.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Time to "introduce a little anarchy"

bacon_cake_by_2dchew-d2ylpfz.jpg

Why choose? Lay down a plastic sheet and have sex WITH bacon cake!!
    Is bacon cake lower in sugar than regular cake?
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Pastry Chef: ****ING AWESOME.

It's the individuals choice to eat what they want.

If people like pastry, people should eat pastry.

If people don't want to be obese, then it's up to them to do something about it, not a chef following their dreams!!!
  • TripleRadiance275
    TripleRadiance275 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm gourmet, sugar-laden cigarettes...
    homer-drool.gif

lol this is my reaction too.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, since you aren't her friend anymore, there's an opening, right? Tell her to call me.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If pastries caused obesity, the French would be fat. They're not. Hmmm, wonder why?