Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I own a cake bakery... does this make me a bad person?

You iz Da Debil!!

2582-3.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I read all nine pages of this thread... Couldn't stop thinking about delicious, mouth-watering, succulent gourmet pastries... Binged on about 4,000 calories' worth of Pop-Tarts and other evil sugary wages of sin. Now I'm gonna gain 10 pounds overnight.

Ryry, you sick *kitten*. This is all your fault.

It seems like you are joking...but this is kind of my point. Nobody goes into a pastry shop and eats half a pastry when they are addicted. They typically lose control and binge. What is wrong with thinking that preventing that is a good idea?
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    " What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics? "

Uh, I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

You might be compromising your diet if you go to the party. But morals & ethics? Uh, no.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    you think she is contributing cause she makes sweets? people are overweight because they eat to much and do not move enough, it has nothing to do with sweets. You can eat junk and not be overweight if you watch how much you eat hell you can get fat eating salad if you eat to much of it. What you are saying is just like saying that cooks and servers in restaurants make people fat, people make themselves fat by eating to much.

When I was growing up, fewer people were overweight for the following reasons:

1. People were more active;
    2. Food was more expensive;
    3. Food was less accessible: you didn't have vending machines everywhere, all-night stores and ATMs, snacking between meals was discouraged;
    4. There was less tolerance toward obesity.

There are always people like myself who have never been overweight because they watched what they ate once they stopped being able to eat anything they wanted. But environment and attitudes play a big role. Some people aren't up for the additional mental energy it takes to refrain from bad eating. A current theory in psychology is that will power is actually very limited.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    72a3d4888f4dbc824760bc2cd30f4b0f-reverse10.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You sir. Are the DEBIL!
  • ryry_
    Options

I never said she was a bad person. Where did I say that? I can disagree with someone's life decisions and still be there friend.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with? I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes. And even worse, these are gourmet treats which people are likely to eat even more of!

I don’t know. If it were me, I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I knew I would be harming people like this long term. They are throwing her a going away party in a few weeks and she is going to be providing a sampling of her work for us. I’m still undecided if I should attend with these concerns. I’m not sure what kind of message that will be sending ya know?

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

MORON!!!

that was so uncalled for. I read all the posts in this thread and this is the worst one of them all. :angry:
  • ryry_
    Options
    Wow...So I get back from the gym...You know my weights class and spinning and bettering myself...And still more ridicule and jokes. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with honey and an apple. I supposed I should have swapped my healthy option for a sugar filled donut according to these responses

Can you just try to understand my side? Some "support" site. Maybe I should i have posted this in motivation and support or something. Again I'm not talking to those that were serious.

So your lunch of flour, a sweetener, fruit, nuts and fat is different and more healthy than a pastry? Do you know what kind of ingredients go into pastries? I'm guessing this is a master trolling thread. At least I hope so because I truly hope you aren't as ignorant, hypocritical and orthorexic as your OP sounds.

The bread was whole wheat, the PB Apple and Honey were all organic. How is that not healthier than sugar filled pastry?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think you should chill, we all have to learn portion control. If we're pigs, it's our fault.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I actually AM a pastry chef and I find this whole thread a little hilarious. Anyone who has actually been to culinary school understands that pastry chefs are artists, not murderers. We take our craft quite seriously and the quality of what we produce is IN NO WAY remotely similar to the GMO and HFCS-laden garbage sold at most supermarkets.

You're completely entitled to your opinion, but, it seems to me like you're feeling a little bitter/jealous. Which is natural seeing as how your friend has chosen a career in the very field where you feel a lot of your weight problems originated.

What's important for you to remember is that it all boils down to self control/accountability. I went to through my entire culinary program, in a very intense school, at my highest weight (336). And I continue to work professionally now, in the midst of my journey. If I can continue to stay on track and lose, then there's obviously something else at work which is making this country so obese.

So, don't hate the pastry chefs! We just wanna feed you. In moderation, of course!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    sugar filled pastry?

Every time I read the words "sugar filled pastry" I get a half-on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies, but I sure hope this is meant to be a joke. How very sad if not.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Teh debil
  • saffron981
    saffron981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I completely don't understand this post. Pastries are a delicious treat and can be eaten in moderation. It's bad choices that ruin people's health; not pastries!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I actually AM a pastry chef and I find this whole thread a little hilarious. Anyone who has actually been to culinary school understands that pastry chefs are artists, not murderers. We take our craft quite seriously and the quality of what we produce is IN NO WAY remotely similar to the GMO and HFCS-laden garbage sold at most supermarkets.

O'Rly? How do you vet your ingredients? I guess you don't use syrups? What do you have against GMO or HFCS?

http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Salute to the OP...a total joke turned into almost 300 replies. Awesome !

From OP's profile :

On the forums I enjoy helping people and making people laugh equally. If i offended you at any time allow me to apologize. I can almost guarantee it was on accident. Also, if i posted something that you found clever or humorous, please feel free to let me know. After all, it is my love language and an artist always likes to know that his work is appreciated :)**
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yep, sugar is the devil and all occupations associated with it should be banned, same with liquor and.... Oops, wait, ah.... Never mind. :bigsmile:
  • honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tell her to make pasties instead.

Sugar free, zero-fat, zero-calories, and adorns beautiful nutritious youknowwhatimean!
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little self righteous.

If it's her passion, good for her! And though the food she cooks may be sugar-laden and not exactly healthy, but she's not forcing anyone to eat it. I try to eat healthy but sometimes I just need a good cupcake or some good fried chicken... there's nothing wrong with indulgences.

It's the kind of attitude that you have that turns people away from living healthy lifestyles.