Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    Wow... Pretty soon people will not be held accountable for anything they choose to do. Just because she makes delicious pastries doesn't mean they have to eat them to the point of obesity. Or would you have us all just living in a bubble having ****ing lean cuisine slushies pumped into our stomachs???
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    If you are a true friend, commit.

Commit to travel with her to Paris. For the pastries. The belly button. And the experience.
    Commit to learn why the French make such wonders and stay thin. It's the pastries.
    Commit to try them.

And if you fail, there is always Splenda. Think about it ....
    i will go...pick me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh and the only reason the French arent fat is because they smoke, drink wine, eat small amounts of decadent pastries all day and then combine it with real butter and meat. We need to take a lesson from the French. Viva La France!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyahnn6QfA1r5t3iw.gif

This is coming from a girl who's currently looking into going to pastry school herself. Just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean people can't indulge once in a while on great food they love. What about birthday cake or wedding cake? Bakers do those and if everyone had the mentality you do, everyone would have to eat packaged stuff...which is probably worse for heath in my honest opinion because at least food from a bakery is made with real ingredients. It's like rolling your eyes at a person for becoming a mechanic because he puts cars on the road for all the drunk and reckless drivers. She's not stuffing chocolate into people and making them fat, people are doing that themselves. I get your point of view but I don't agree with it at all and if someone told me they disagree with me following my dream because it makes people fat.....I'd throw a cupcake at them.....but I'm aggressive that way.

Honey, I already went to school. What he means is that I just got offered a position in a restaurant.

Trust me, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. It cost me $26,000+interest and there are so many self-taught chefs out there now. You can teach yourself. Just think about it. If I could do it over again, I would never have gone to culinary school.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A bit overboard in my opinion. You can decline to eat her pastry samplings due to a healthy diet. She's your friend and only following a passion or an art in a specific fashion. I wouldn't be concerned for a friend if they worked at McDonald's or whatever taco joint (one of the things I find hard to turn down) they worked at. Even before I became health conscious, I knew some of the things I ate weren't good for me. That was my decision. That will be her customers responsibility. Plus...moderation. Can't people have a pastry now and then if they so choose? Just seems like you're using your lifestyle as a basis to be outraged. What's worth more: your friendship/her desires or your lifestyle?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My only comment would be: do you pay her bills?

If not, then it's none of your business as long as what she is doing is legal.

To think only of yourself is a little shortsighted don't you think? Will you pay for her to get trained in another profession?

My wife and daughter eat carbs at night, but I don't shun them....get over it.

I think the legality of sugar needs to be looked into...it should basically be banned as a controlled substance.

Absolutely. There have been studies on how sugar is just as addictive as crack.

And everyone knows that the added sugars in pastries turn straight to fat as they are metabolised differently.

Show her this documentary to make her understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMpTlxTSGM
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    trolling-1.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of her leg right at the bottom. She'll never make pastries again, because her weight displacement goes back, all her weight is on her right foot, and she'll push everything off to the right. She'll never make anything even with the rolling pin. She'll quit her job.

bwhahahahahaha +1,000,000 then you can be the Cinderella kid straight out of nowhere
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    OP, your profile says you like to make people laugh so my guess is you're just stirring the pot. :wink:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For reals?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    HEY!

You leave the Marlboro Man out of this!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are a true friend, commit.

Commit to travel with her to Paris. For the pastries. The belly button. And the experience.
    Commit to learn why the French make such wonders and stay thin. It's the pastries.
    Commit to try them.

And if you fail, there is always Splenda. Think about it ....
    The French stay thin because they don't bathe and they eat snails. There's no mystery there. The lack of bathing allows superorganisms to breed on their skin which eat all the fat.

That's it. I'm tearing out the bathtub and finding a snail farm first thing in the morning.

All I need to do is stop the bathing.... Oh, wait I don't bath.

Still overweight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a joke, right? OP, are you saying you would never eat a piece of cake, or a cookie again?
    The idea behind becoming something like a pastry chef is more about artistry than gluttony. Have you never noticed that gourmet meals and fancy pastries are tiny? It's because it's supposed to be THAT good.

Wow. My sister is an excellent pastry chef working at one of the finest hotels in the world. The treats she creates are amazing and beautiful as well as delicious. I couldn't be more proud of her. The epidemic of obesity has nothing to do with pastry chefs. Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are more responsible for that.
    Just another shill for Big Pastry.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh and the only reason the French arent fat is because they smoke, drink wine, eat small amounts of decadent pastries all day and then combine it with real butter and meat. We need to take a lesson from the French. Viva La France!

It's viva Zapata and vive la France. You know, we French are snooty about language.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with pastrys, and it isn't her fault if people are greedy heffers and overeat

There's plenty wrong with pastrys... It's spelt pastries.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A bit overboard in my opinion. You can decline to eat her pastry samplings due to a healthy diet. She's your friend and only following a passion or an art in a specific fashion. I wouldn't be concerned for a friend if they worked at McDonald's or whatever taco joint (one of the things I find hard to turn down) they worked at. Even before I became health conscious, I knew some of the things I ate weren't good for me. That was my decision. That will be her customers responsibility. Plus...moderation. Can't people have a pastry now and then if they so choose? Just seems like you're using your lifestyle as a basis to be outraged. What's worth more: your friendship/her desires or your lifestyle?

What kind of man turns down a woman's warm delicious pastry?

Oh wait. You mean actual pastry? Nevermind then. Carry on. I'll see myself out.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

To think only of yourself is a little shortsighted don't you think? Will you pay for her to get trained in another profession?

I think the legality of sugar needs to be looked into...it should basically be banned as a controlled substance.

Only makes sense considering how many people are addicted to it.

Especially the refined sugars.

Not the ones that are sort of refined, you know... like evaporated cane juice or brown rice syrup... just the ones that are REALLY refined... like white table sugar.

White table sugar is the demon that controls Big Pastry. I've been digging into this for years, and I have the paper trail to prove it. Step into my office and I'll tell you all about it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

It's viva Zapata and vive la France. You know, we French are snooty about language.

Keep your shoes away from me, you filthy foreign dog!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Only makes sense considering how many people are addicted to it.

Especially the refined sugars.

Not the ones that are sort of refined, you know... like evaporated cane juice or brown rice syrup... just the ones that are REALLY refined... like white table sugar.

White table sugar is the demon that controls Big Pastry. I've been digging into this for years, and I have the paper trail to prove it. Step into my office and I'll tell you all about it.

I'm so glad there are like minded people here that are focused on being healthy and not stuffing their face with all kinds of JUNK!
  • ldrosophila
    Options

doh!