From 199 to 129. My journey.

Options
A year and a half ago by chance I found this website and read through success stories. I was stunned and could not believe real people achieved such weight loss. These people have helped me immensely by posting their journey. I said to myself if I ever get there, I will do the same for someone who is just starting. That's my reason for posting to give back encouragement that I received from so many of you over the past year and a half.
It was June 2012, I weighed myself and saw the dreaded 199 pounds. Not surprised, I have been overeating steadily and because I was so heavy I could barely walk. I preferred to stay sedentary in my room. I also saw a few photos of me and did not want to look twice, they were fat to be honest. The last straw that broke the camel's back was my size 16 was so tight on me that I would have to go to plus sizes if I didn't stop eating. I was desperate to lose weight. I kept postponing my weight loss journey because I LOVED to eat, eat lots. Eating made me very happy. Anyways, it was the end of June and I actually was sick and couldn't get rid of my cold, was on antibiotics.
On June 23, 2012 I said enough is enough. I prayed in Jesus' name, Lord please help me lose a few pounds. I honestly could not lose even one pound on my own in the previous year.

I began slowly. I said to myself just cut out sweets, fast food and don't eat after 6pm. That was all I knew then. Done. I began walking daily for 30 minutes. Two months later I discovered myfitnesspal. I was shocked at the number of calories for each food. I began counting and making very small slow changes. I changed to whole grains then.
I kept being consistent. Doing the right thing every day, staying within my calorie count and slowly began walking and running.
Six weeks later, I lost 1 pound. It was the happiest one lost pound in my journey. It was so hard to change my lifestyle and go from 199 to 198. I danced, I was doing something right!! I kept going and fighting each day, two weeks later I lost 8 pounds. That was when I realized that calorie deficit along with exercise (walking and running) worked. I was at 190 and so happy.

I kept going, I was consistent. I increased my runs from 30 min to an hour. I only ran twice a week, a short and a long run. I ate right.
Five months later I lost 50 pounds to 150. So encouraged, I kept going, doing the same thing each day. Eating energy filled foods: oats, eggs, whole grains, fish, grilled chicken, rice, pasta, Greek food, potatoes, lots of fruits and veggies. I drank tons of water.
On the hard days, I read success stories, over and over again. I prayed, Lord please help me curb my appetite and do the right thing. I overate on some days, I made mistakes often. But I kept going, the next day was always a new day to go back to the plan.
Then the question began, when do I stop? I thought 70 pounds to 129 would be a great number where I would feel strong and healthy and look good. I got to 135, 133, 132, 131 and today to 129. I cut portions last week, I cut out snacks. I began lifting dumbbells the last two months of my weight loss to harden my stomach muscles, this has been immensely helpful thanks to many of you ladies who posted lifting tips. The last 5 pounds were difficult to lose but so was the first pound. This was my finish line.

I feel amazing today, happy, strong, accomplished. My BMI went from overweight 32 to 20.8 healthy. My body fat from 44% to 22%. When I measured it today, the pharmacist exclaimed, I want that number for me!! I went from size 16 to 3. My confidence is great, I actually departed from my closed room and am so much more outgoing. I project "yes, I can" attitude and people respond with a 'yes.' I am a fast runner and even faster climber. I am preparing for a marathon and can run for several hours. I am beginning to maintain my weight.

I hope that my story will help anyone who is struggling today and unsure. You can do this!! Keep on being consistent, doing what you are doing every day and be patient it took me 1.5 years. Always, begin each day a new. Reward yourself lots!!

267c4a4d-683e-4e18-9bc8-92da0f5b5f50_zps41bc6a32.jpg

acf03edd-6ba8-45fd-9a2b-1b6f8c7e607d_zps9f20cb86.jpg

8fb80d25-f6df-4085-84e7-553a462bd252_zps58fd6b52.jpg

This was me before, my waist line was huge:

6106ffdf-e96a-40af-976a-57312ab2839d_zpsa1660f24.jpg

This is me getting my fat measured today:

93e43888-c8db-4792-ae66-2b113b979a62_zps3eda9374.jpg

I'm 5'6.

Replies

• thxo
    thxo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely amazing!! Congratulations on your weight loss, i'm having one of those days and this is always a treat to see. You look great.
  • Skinnyknow
    Options
    I am working on those pics.

Oooh posting a picture on here is harder than the weight loss!

Just kidding...

Ok, photos are up!

My favourite one is with the body fat analysis monitor. My mom found this little machine at a super market!
  • deepavignesh
    deepavignesh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! I have so much in common with u. I started at 199 too. Currently I weigh 175. But I keep slipping away to my old ways. I love food too! But I have been really good this month and I have lost almost 5 lbs this month! Feeling great about that! Reading ur story is a lot of encouragement for me! Thanks for sharing!!
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring and you look great!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad I came across your story to motivate me!
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

To make the photos appear...

Type it so that it looks something like this: (make sure there's no spaces between both 'img')

[ img ] http://picture.mypic.com/gibberish.jpg [ /img ]
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are an amazing success story. Kudos to you and all your hard work!!!!
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration.
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fabulous story. You are truly amazing. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. So very proud of you!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You don't even look like the same person! What a great job and transformation you have done!
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Good job - great inspiration .
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • bethshines
    bethshines Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I have been reading and re-reading success stories and yours is my "bedtime story" tonight. Thank you for being such a great example and inspiration!
  • TNM2014
    TNM2014 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wow! your story sounds so familiar. Almost as if you've been standing in my window for the past 9 months. thanks for the inspiration. And you look amazing!! Congrats on your success !!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • janelle1993
    Options
    so inspirational! 129 is my goal as well. I'm hoping to be in the 170's high 160's before January 1st. Hopefully I'll be sharing my story on here soon! You look fantastic by the way.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I :heart: YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, just WOW! Please know that because you have posted this, you are NOW one of those encouraging/inspiring/wonderful
    success stories that helped you on your journey. You have blessed me to NO end with this post and your gorgeous pics. Thank you ever so very VERY much for taking the time, faith, care and Light to post this. You're my shero--you totally ROCK, you WINNER you!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :smooched: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • floridared
    floridared Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you.:smile: This post was just what I needed today. I am trying to follow the same steps you started with. #BabySteps for me on this journey as I travel to my destination of A THINNER ME. I must friend request you because I so much need to have this post available for me to read during my days when I feel like throwing in the towel. This road is not easy but, I am determined to continue traveling it. Amazing photos, amazing story. Congratulations on your success.:flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Killer success!
  • Skinnyknow
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Small changes are huge. I also find it easier to maintain the weight later.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    congrats :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!