Pop-tarts as her birthday gift. 11 year old's request.

Options

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You need to start importing Pop-Tarts and selling them for ridiculous prices. That's what I learned from this post.

^^I agree
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How about instead of buying poptarts at the store. Offer her an afternoon of making her own poptarts with pie dough and fresh fruit that you mashed up (i.e. apples and strawberries) that way you can control the sugar. There is also sugar free frosting out there you could dilute and drizzle lightly over the tart. They also have those mini fold over pie thingies. tell her she can make healthier choices by making her own without the chemicals. She'll have a great time cooking with you and learning also. You can also freeze them for later http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pocket+pie+molds&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3480125210&ref=pd_sl_1m8tggnhcz_b
    My God! It's her birthday! Are you the wicked witch of Pop Tarts or something?

Gah! This is why people have food issues.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! I like her birthday list much better than my 6 year old's. Her list includes a smart phone, an iPad, and a laptop! :noway:

My son would get laughed at SO HARD in his face for asking for those things lol

My kid is the same, wants pop tarts, so I buy them, and then they sit in the pantry for a WHILE until I make him eat them just so we can be rid of them lol

You'd laugh in your kids face for asking for an ipad? My 3 year old neice has a tablet.. Sheltering kids from technology is pretty much negligence.

*sigh*

Get your kid a book. Or an interactive toy that requires more than putting their fingers to a screen. Something that stimulates their mind, motor skills, or both. Maybe it's just me, but giving a young child a technological toy like a tablet or iPad is like setting them infront of a TV all day instead of actually playing with them - silly and somewhat lazy on behalf of the parent.

I don't have kids, and I'm in no way an expert on child development apart from the psycology classes I've taken, but damn...why does a 3 year old need a tablet? I just don't get it. They have LOTS of time to become accustomed to technology, and we've already become a society EXTREMELY dependent on technology, and that is foolish to be that dependent on anything, in my opinion. At least dependent on something you don't necessarily need.

I would rant more, but, I will probably just look worse than I already have.

OP I think you're doing a fantastic job raising your daughter, and I think that's adorable that she asked for Poptarts. I would think it's strange too, but since it's something she doesn't get very often, it makes sense in my mind why she asked for it. Reminds me of the Dutch chocolate letters my mom would always put in my stocking for Christmas - that special chocolate treat I only got once a year, or on a special occation.

My three year old has a tablet that he plays on occasionally though he much prefers my ipad. By the time he gets to school, most text books will be replaced by tablets. Some schools have already gone to that.
    We also snuggle and read books, go on adventures in the woods, "hunt" grashoppers, paint, playdough, swim, and any and everything else that seems fun and/or educational.
    I think it is very important to introduce children to technology at a young age, and equally as important to limit their time with it, just like you would anything else.

As for OP, sounds like you are doing a fantastic job raising your daughter! Congrats!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a box full of delicious Pop-tarts, including the Limited Edition flavors.

The standard "thank you" in the past has been an enormous box filled with dozens of delicious homemade cookies of varying types.

Let me know if you're interested.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think it is very important to introduce children to technology at a young age, and equally as important to limit their time with it, just like you would anything else.

It's one thing to let them play with yours. A totally other thing to give them their very own.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    How about instead of buying poptarts at the store. Offer her an afternoon of making her own poptarts with pie dough and fresh fruit that you mashed up (i.e. apples and strawberries) that way you can control the sugar. There is also sugar free frosting out there you could dilute and drizzle lightly over the tart. They also have those mini fold over pie thingies. tell her she can make healthier choices by making her own without the chemicals. She'll have a great time cooking with you and learning also. You can also freeze them for later http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=pocket+pie+molds&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3480125210&ref=pd_sl_1m8tggnhcz_b
    My God! It's her birthday! Are you the wicked witch of Pop Tarts or something?

Gah! This is why people have food issues.

That's what I was thinking.

It's fine to want to teach that there are healthy options to everything, but not on her birthday!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a box full of delicious Pop-tarts, including the Limited Edition flavors.

The standard "thank you" in the past has been an enormous box filled with dozens of delicious homemade cookies of varying types.

I will double down on his box of poptarts if you send me some macaroons. Salted caramel please!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    This is right on. My 6 (almost 7) year old just told me he hates Christmas because there's no candy involved (while stuffing his face with his Halloween candy). LOL!!

What kind of messed up Christmas has no candy involved?:noway:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! I like her birthday list much better than my 6 year old's. Her list includes a smart phone, an iPad, and a laptop! :noway:

My kid is the same, wants pop tarts, so I buy them, and then they sit in the pantry for a WHILE until I make him eat them just so we can be rid of them lol

You'd laugh in your kids face for asking for an ipad? My 3 year old neice has a tablet.. Sheltering kids from technology is pretty much negligence.

*sigh*

Get your kid a book. Or an interactive toy that requires more than putting their fingers to a screen. Something that stimulates their mind, motor skills, or both. Maybe it's just me, but giving a young child a technological toy like a tablet or iPad is like setting them infront of a TV all day instead of actually playing with them - silly and somewhat lazy on behalf of the parent.

I don't have kids, and I'm in no way an expert on child development apart from the psycology classes I've taken, but damn...why does a 3 year old need a tablet? I just don't get it. They have LOTS of time to become accustomed to technology, and we've already become a society EXTREMELY dependent on technology, and that is foolish to be that dependent on anything, in my opinion. At least dependent on something you don't necessarily need.

OP I think you're doing a fantastic job raising your daughter, and I think that's adorable that she asked for Poptarts. I would think it's strange too, but since it's something she doesn't get very often, it makes sense in my mind why she asked for it. Reminds me of the Dutch chocolate letters my mom would always put in my stocking for Christmas - that special chocolate treat I only got once a year, or on a special occation.

My three year old has a tablet that he plays on occasionally though he much prefers my ipad. By the time he gets to school, most text books will be replaced by tablets. Some schools have already gone to that.
    We also snuggle and read books, go on adventures in the woods, "hunt" grashoppers, paint, playdough, swim, and any and everything else that seems fun and/or educational.

As for OP, sounds like you are doing a fantastic job raising your daughter! Congrats!

The thing is you don't really have to "teach" children technology. My two year old can grab my husband's tablet, turn it on, go to the one coloring application we downloaded for her, use each item and close out the screen when she's done. We never had to teach her any of that, it's meant to be an easy interface. There's also good odds that most of the current tech will be obsolete before she gets out of elementary school.

Now the ability to solve a three dimensional puzzle, or work out a problem in her head, or remember information rather than looking it up on the internet each time she needs to know it... these are things that will have multiple applications throughout her life no matter what happens with technology. These are the things to spend active time with her on.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This is right on. My 6 (almost 7) year old just told me he hates Christmas because there's no candy involved (while stuffing his face with his Halloween candy). LOL!!

What kind of messed up Christmas has no candy involved?:noway:
    Every year, my grandmother used to send me a package of Hershey's Kisses for Christmas. She just died last month. I think Hershey's Kisses are a must for Christmas this year.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That is adorable! Well done to you, you're raising that kid right.

Remembering my birthday wishes, I also sometimes asked for food treats. My mum rarely made unhealthy food, so a hot dog birthday dinner was something VERY special for me. Much funnier though: one year I asked for TROUT for my breakfast dinner. As in WHOLE FRIGGING TROUT. My mum said I could have trout but only if I was able to fillet it myself (so my mum could show off to my granny). It was yummy.

I'd totally get her pop tarts if I were you. AND make pop tart cake.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

*sigh*

The thing is you don't really have to "teach" children technology. My two year old can grab my husband's tablet, turn it on, go to the one coloring application we downloaded for her, use each item and close out the screen when she's done. We never had to teach her any of that, it's meant to be an easy interface. There's also good odds that most of the current tech will be obsolete before she gets out of elementary school.

Now the ability to solve a three dimensional puzzle, or work out a problem in her head, or remember information rather than looking it up on the internet each time she needs to know it... these are things that will have multiple applications throughout her life no matter what happens with technology. These are the things to spend active time with her on.

That's exactly what I was getting at, except put in much better words. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What is it about pop tarts? She lives in the country that invented pastries, but yet she craves pop tarts. I need to get into the pop tart cartel.
    I was never much into them, personally. And they have gelatin, so I can't eat them now, anyway.

Plain (unfrosted) Pop-Tarts don't have gelatin.
  • californiabella
    Options
    I think you are doing it just right! She sees the Pop tart as a treat. What better time to expect a treat than your birthday? And who better to indulge a little girl than her grandfather. I think it's sweet.

I agree!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My kid saw Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and now wants "flying shoes" for Xmas. Seriously.
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    Judging from her other 2 requests, sounds like she engages in physical activity/ sport! Let her eat cake! (er, um, Pop Tarts!)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I will double down on his box of poptarts if you send me some macaroons. Salted caramel please!

I'll triple down if I can get some of that good french heaven...fromage! MMMMMMMMM!!
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had to google pop tart to find out what they were, we don't have them in NZ and apparently they are a USA thing.
    How many flavours can you get?
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options

......Negligence? Not buying a kid an iPad or a laptop is "negligence"? No. It's not. There is a distinct difference between kids of a certain age having access to "necessary" technology (i.e., a twelve-year-old having access to a computer at home for schoolwork, etc.), but children under the age of 12, in my opinion, have no real "need" for technology.

A three-year-old asking for a tablet? See, in my mind....*that* is ridiculous. Especially if she gets it. Kids that age need to develop creativity and the ability to play and explore....not sit on a couch engrossed in a tablet/laptop/TV/video game.

/rant over.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is scary! Ipads, smartphones and laptops. That's crazy!
    Lol. My little girl is going to be 6 soon and her list does include a tablet. Not an ipad, mind you, she doesn't know what apple is.I don't think I'd ever buy her something that expensive. But it also includes other things like a toy phone to call Cinderella with, a toy samurai sword and stuffed puppies and kitties.

A toy phone to call Cinderella with. That is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard. Sadly....I think finding something like that on a six-year-old's birthday list is rare these days. A friend of mine has a son who'll be six soon and his list includes an iPod touch and an iPad. God, *I* don't even have an iPad, and I have a JOB. *L*