Family friendly ideas for chicken breasts

Options
mookiemoo
mookiemoo Posts: 46 Member
At the moment we are using them for wraps or chopping up for curries but I desperately need some new ideas.

What do you do with yours?

Replies

• dmcgee
    dmcgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are enjoying blackened chicken...I cook them on my George Forman. There are some pretty good blackened seasoning out on the market. I like Zateran's best. Pat dry chicken breast then spray with Pam, etc. salt and add the blackened seasoning on both sides. If your children are eating this and do not like spicy cut back on it a bit on theirs. I grill mine 4 min...it depends on how thick they are.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I found that my family loves rice bowls. I marinate chicken breasts overnight in teriyaki and grill. Slice thin and serve in bowls over rice. The family even likes a wok cooked veggies with it if I add ginger, garlic and soy sause. Super easy meal to make. It has become one of my staples.

I also do a version where I marinate in Italian flavors, grill and serve over pasta.

It can be made even healthier by using brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    REGULARLY (like 4 days a week) we sautee chicken with mushrooms, onions, zucchini, squash, green peppers, scallions (or some combination thereof) and just change up the spices. Sometimes we'll make curry, sometimes Mexican spices, other times more Italian spices, sometimes just some salt and garlic. I'm sure there are a thousand ways you could add flavors (that your little ones like) and cook it all together. It's quick, easy and super tasty. And it reheats well!

Good luck :smile:
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Last night I took 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut them into strips. In a shallow dish put 1 cup panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon lawrys seasoning salt . Next, I mixed the bread crumb mixture together with about 1 tablespoon of EVOO to keep it together. In a separate shallow bowl, beat one egg white and about 1 tablespoon of skim milk together. Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the Panko bread crumb mixture. Place chicken into a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is done.
    These are the BEST....crunchiest chicken tenders I have ever had. My husband went WILD over them and want them again tonight. haha I got this from Jamie Oliver's website!

Also, if you go to this website...........http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/ It has tons of healthy recipes. Weight watchers. There is a poultry section.

Happy eating!!!!!!!!!! Stacey
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I'll season them, slice them in strips and sautee them with fresh broccoli. you can add rainsins and different items. quick and easy
  • mookiemoo
    Options
    I used to cook it all sorts of ways but then I lost my mojo and things just dropped off the menu. The italian pasta bowl thing will go down a storm in this house I will be giving that a go very soon.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you can handle spicy food....this is what I do and it is extremely easy.

I spray the bottom of a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil spray or "pam" and add the chicken breasts. I sprinkle them with a little bit of salt and sautee them (on medium-high) on each side until they are cooked all the way through. Once they are cooked then I add a can or two of "EL PATO" brand TOMATO SAUCE - MEXICAN HOT STYLE. I lower the flame to low and I let it simmer for about 5 minutes or so.

I serve it with steamed white rice and steamed vegetables. It is delicious, one of my husband's favorites (mine too because it is so easy to make, specially when I don't really feel like spending too much time in the kitchen). Even tastier are boneless, skinless chicken thighs cooked in this manner. You can find the sauce in the canned tomatoes aisle or the Mexican section of the store.

JUST REMEMBER...IT IS SPICY!

Sorry I just realized you said "family friendly" and I don't think spicy qualifies. But I'll leave it here anyway.
  • suzyq2992
    Options
    i cook boneless sknless chicken breast when they are cook i cube them in anothe rpot i cook a can of cream chicken soup and 8 ozs of sour cream when its hot,i put the cube chiken in a 9x13 oan pour the chicken soup mixture over the cubed chicken take a pack of ritz crackers crumbled up in about 1 cup of butter make a crust on top of the chicken bake in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes then serve it over rice or by its self with veggies on the side.I enjoy this but please leave it set after you take it out of the oven for a few minutes as i have burnt my mouth
  • mookiemoo
    Options

Sorry I just realized you said "family friendly" and I don't think spicy qualifies. But I'll leave it here anyway.

Thank you, we do occasionally eat different meals to the children
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Poke the chicken breasts all over with a fork then cut it into cubes and marinate in pineapple or orange juice, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, chili paste (optional) and a dash of soy sauce (if you have a can of pineapple chunks or mandarin orange wedges, save the fruit out and add it back in the last step). The longer it goes, the better.

Meanwhile, take two to three cups worth of cut up "tough" veggies (broccoli, red & green peppers, zucchini, green beans, cauliflower, etc -- anything that will stand up to the heat without turning into mush) and a medium onion cut into bite sized chunks and toss into a hot, non-stick pan. Stir constantly to keep from burning them. When slightly browned and still crispy, remove and set aside.

Let pan cool a bit then add 1 tbsp of oil and put back on burner. Cook chicken and marinade till chicken is done. Add the veggies back in (fruit too, see above). Add enough water or low-sodium chicken stock to make a slightly thick sauce when mixture is brought up to temp. Finish with a bit of rice vinegar and sesame seed oil (and a pinch of sugar if not adding fruit). Serve with a side of rice or noodles. It's sweet, sour, and the veggies are still really crunchy.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    the cambells website has tons of ideas. We love their lemon broccoli chicken recipe and they have many others. Another site is the swanson site. There are many recipes that you add chicken broth too, oh so yummy..
  • hawaiibound
    Options
    Poke the chicken breasts all over with a fork then cut it into cubes and marinate in pineapple or orange juice, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, chili paste (optional) and a dash of soy sauce (if you have a can of pineapple chunks or mandarin orange wedges, save the fruit out and add it back in the last step). The longer it goes, the better.

Meanwhile, take two to three cups worth of cut up "tough" veggies (broccoli, red & green peppers, zucchini, green beans, cauliflower, etc -- anything that will stand up to the heat without turning into mush) and a medium onion cut into bite sized chunks and toss into a hot, non-stick pan. Stir constantly to keep from burning them. When slightly browned and still crispy, remove and set aside.

Let pan cool a bit then add 1 tbsp of oil and put back on burner. Cook chicken and marinade till chicken is done. Add the veggies back in (fruit too, see above). Add enough water or low-sodium chicken stock to make a slightly thick sauce when mixture is brought up to temp. Finish with a bit of rice vinegar and sesame seed oil (and a pinch of sugar if not adding fruit). Serve with a side of rice or noodles. It's sweet, sour, and the veggies are still really crunchy.

hello dinner tonite! lol
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am taking 4 chicken breast and baking them in the oven on top of a mixture of brown rice, onion, green pepper, fresh jalapeno, a can of diced tomato, a can of green beans, and a can of no fat no salt chicken broth. I seasoned with a little salt, pepper and paprika. I wanted to sub the green beans with black beans but I didn't have any. I think I will do that next time. Putting salsa and cheese on top is also an option but I left it out this time.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    bump! Thanks!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd make chicken fried rice. :) Brown rice, cubed chicken, diced peas and carrots, scrambled eggs, and soy sauce. Personally, I've never put chicken in mine... Just made vegetable fried rice. Yet... I do have some leftover chicken breasts that I'll probably be using in fried rice tomorrow. (Thanks for reminding me, haha.)
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    bump
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Last night I took 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut them into strips. In a shallow dish put 1 cup panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon lawrys seasoning salt . Next, I mixed the bread crumb mixture together with about 1 tablespoon of EVOO to keep it together. In a separate shallow bowl, beat one egg white and about 1 tablespoon of skim milk together. Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the Panko bread crumb mixture. Place chicken into a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is done.
    These are the BEST....crunchiest chicken tenders I have ever had. My husband went WILD over them and want them again tonight. haha I got this from Jamie Oliver's website!

Also, if you go to this website...........http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwrecipes/ It has tons of healthy recipes. Weight watchers. There is a poultry section.

This sounds delish!
  • mookiemoo
    Options
    I'd make chicken fried rice. :) Brown rice, cubed chicken, diced peas and carrots, scrambled eggs, and soy sauce. Personally, I've never put chicken in mine... Just made vegetable fried rice. Yet... I do have some leftover chicken breasts that I'll probably be using in fried rice tomorrow. (Thanks for reminding me, haha.)

ohhh yum
  • lamorford
    lamorford Posts: 8 Member
    Options

This sounds delish!

These sound great! I can't wait to try it.
  • tradle
    tradle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That sounds great, am going to try that one. Thanks for sharing.