Family friendly ideas for chicken breasts

Options

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Bubba Gump says:
    Chicken gumbo, chicken fajita, BBQ chicken, Chicken parmesan, Pinapple chicken, chicken on a stick, chicken and rice casserole, grilled chicken, chicken soup, chicken enchiladas, teriyaki chicken, cashew chicken.
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    bump.... yummy yummy :)
  • mandalynne85
    Options
    bump
  • judithmccartney
    judithmccartney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what is the teriyaki sauce you use? Could you name the brand + also the type. Is it the sweet teriyaki sauce ?
  • julz68
    julz68 Posts: 16
    Options
    bump
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone's posted this...

Get a sheet of foil for each chicken breast. Spread each with a tsp of grain mustard. Put the chicken breast on, and spread on another tsp of mustard. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon over each, and put a couple of slices of lemon in, as well) Wrap up the foil into a parcel.
    Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes. Then open the parcels and add 1/2 tsp honey to each. Bake for a further 5 minutes or so.

Yummy.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    i recently made crab stuffed chicken. I'm quite sure it's my wife's favorite dish I've ever made.

1 8 oz package imitation crab
    1 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
    1 package of lipton savory herb with garlic soup mix
    4 large chicken breasts (thicker the better)
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup bread crumbs
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    ~ 8 wooden toothpicks
    frying pan
    9 x 13 baking dish

1. mix cream cheese, soup mix, and crab meat. May want to cut crab into smaller pieces.
    2. Allow chicken to thaw or cook enough to cut through. Cut pocket into each.
    3. pore flour, eggs, and bread crumbs each into a separate bowl to bread the chicken
    4. stuff cream cheese mix into chicken, close with toothpicks
    5. coat chicken with flour, eggs, bread crumbs.
    6. put oil in frying pan and heat at medium. I coated one, put it in frying pan, coated next one, placed in pan, then flipped the first, repeat. When the breasts are browned on each side, place in baking dish.
    7. bake chicken in oven at 350 uncovered for 15 minutes.

I found I only used half the crab mix for the recipe, so I put the rest in the fridge and then I add a large spoonful to each serving. I find half a chicken breast fills me, so I count it as 8 servings. Even with using original cream cheese (what I had at the time), it still comes out to about 375 calories per serving.
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Saving this! Yum!
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    saving this thread!
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    At the moment we are using them for wraps or chopping up for curries but I desperately need some new ideas.

What do you do with yours?

Google Mom VS Food :) great recipes :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I like the parmesan chicken, you just dip the chicken in egg, then a mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan, then bake at 375 til done, you can fry them in a little olive oil, but obviously healthier to bake, even fried they are under 300 cals per serving.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I might try one of these tomorrow....
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I mainly do two things with boneless, skinless chicken breast. Both are so simple and easy even I can do it, and I can barely pull off successfully boiled water.

1) Grilled chicken salad, or a grilled chicken salad wrap (both prepared the same way, just sometimes I want a wrap, sometimes I want a salad.

Trim the chicken breasts, then cover with saran wrap. Pound them out with a mallet (or whatever heavy thing you have laying around) not so much to make them thin as it is to just make them a relatively uniform thickness so they will cook evenly. Garlic salt, onion powder, white pepper and cayenne to taste. Then put them in a zip lock bag, add a small amount of olive oil and squeeze in a lime or two. Let that sit in the fridge for ~30 mins or so to marinate. Then grill the chicken (I use a gas grill outside most of the time, but if it's raining or something I'll cook it inside on a grill pan. Be warned: LOTS of smoke from the lime juice if you go the indoor route, so if your hood vent doesnt work very well...be prepared to deal with the smoke detector you are going to set off).

Then I cut that into strips. While the grill is still hot, roast some red bell pepper (either on the grill or just on the eye of your stove...if you dont have a gas stove, I dont know what you can do for the roasted peppers other than prepare them beforehand in the over), and then slice the peppers. Add in a small amount of feta and romaine lettuce. I either serve it as a salad w/ a tbsp of light creamy caesar dressing, or roll it up into a wrap.

2) Baked/fried chicken.

Again, trim the fat off the chicken breasts and pound them out to an even, consistent thickness. Coat chicken LIGHTLY in fat free greek yogurt, and toss it in a crunchy bread-crumb of your choice (I've used damn near everything, panko breadcrumbs, home made breadcrumbs, frosted flakes, ground up rice crispies, etc) and bake until done. This more or less satisfies my craving for fried chicken. Calories are higher than the lime chicken I make, but like I said it's more of a craving satisfaction thing than anything...and its a heck of a lot healthier than pulling out the crisco and making some proper southern fried chicken.
  • TWolfLong
    TWolfLong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our family's fave:

Marinate thin chicken breast cutlets in low fat buttermilk (seasoned to taste - we use sea salt, a bit of cayenne, onion & garlic powder, paprika, herb blend etc.); overnight is best but at least let marinate for a few hours. Coat with crushed seasoned (to taste) cornflakes, place on Pam-sprayed cookie sheet & lightly spray chicken, bake at 425 approx. 15-25 mins until done. :)

We love this with any number of healthy sides, but my personal fave is to slice this oven-baked cornflake chicken and top a salad of romaine, strawberries or raspberries, mandarin oranges, almond slivers, and a light raspberry or mandarin orange vinaigrette dressing.
  • lauren0985
    lauren0985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BUMP!