I hate Deadlifts and Squats

Options
When I started weight training, I knew that the Big 3 compound lifts were important, and my trainer ensured that I did them. When I returned to the States and was not under the supervision of a trainer, I dropped deadlifts completely and moved from weighted squats to body weight squats. I justified this to myself by citing the potential for injury, but didn't really find suitable replacements.

I've since added them back into my routine (albeit for only the past week), but have not grown to love them any more than before. As weight lifting is about progression, I don't see these exercises getting any easier - and I'm going relatively light right now until I'm confident that I didn't lose my form.

Are there suitable alternatives? Will they get easier? Are they really that critical? I look forward to your input.

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Additionally, if deadlifts are indeed a must, do you recommend the standard deadlift, SLDL, or RDL?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When I started weight training, I knew that the Big 3 compound lifts were important, and my trainer ensured that I did them. When I returned to the States and was not under the supervision of a trainer, I dropped deadlifts completely and moved from weighted squats to body weight squats. I justified this to myself by citing the potential for injury, but didn't really find suitable replacements.

I've since added them back into my routine (albeit for only the past week), but have not grown to love them any more than before. As weight lifting is about progression, I don't see these exercises getting any easier - and I'm going relatively light right now until I'm confident that I didn't lose my form.

Are there suitable alternatives? Will they get easier? Are they really that critical? I look forward to your input.

Well it all depends on what your goals are, I hate squats as much as you do. But I still do them (why I have no clue). I used to hate deadlifting but I started doing a progressive 5x5 routine that I added weight every week. Also, lifting straps are a good idea to prevent injury. It's a good idea to start light until you nail the form. I used to only be able to do 135 as my max, i'm now up to 315. So just keep plugging away and they'll get better
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Additionally, if deadlifts are indeed a must, do you recommend the standard deadlift, SLDL, or RDL?

all three are good because they focus on different areas, I tend to stick to SLDL and regular dead lifts
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do low bar back squats three days a week, adding weight each session (right now down to micro loading). I alternate between power cleans and conventional dead lift those same three days, also adding weight each session. I don't *hate* either one, but am currently having a difficult time with squats. Maybe not recovering enough between sessions, maybe not eating enough?
  • cv2k
    cv2k Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to do these exercises more than often when I used to train with weights. The feeling you get from progressively adding weight over-time, will more than make up for the discomfort of performing them. It's a feeling of power from the increased testosterone level's from doing such exercises. I say, give them a month of strict and slow weight progression and decide then. BTW, I used to do sldf as to hit my hamstrings better, your call.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge and I had no results and was not sore at all. Then my agency hired a personal trainer to do crossfit with us and he made us do 10 full minutes of squats and made us do them right. WOW!!! Horrible pain!! So I guess I was doing them wrong. So I do agree with you that squats suck!!! :)
  • beekay70
    Options
    My goal is just to build a balanced physique and get stronger. I'm happy with my upper body progress and would like to drop from 16% body fat to 10-12%. This is where I know the squats are important. I'm only squatting 135 right now just to nail the form and 225 on my RDL. I've used straps in the past for the DL, but I'm not using them right now. My grip strength isn't currently an issue. I think for the moment, it's in my head. I've squatted and DL'ed much more, but something is holding me back a bit - maybe the fear of injury.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I totally do not understand your question. You are weightlifting but you don't like doing these because they are not 'easier' ? I may be missing something but isn't that the point ? Seriously I am not trying to be blunt but isn't the whole point to push yourself, and sometime push hard ? It shouldn't ever be easy. Its a progression for strength. If it was easy there would be no strength progression.
    And I am not sure that just because you don't like them you shouldn't do them. Forcing yourself to do something is half the battle for ANYONE pushing themselves in any fitness regiment.

That said if you are looking for alternatives you could always go into isolation split routines. Are they as effective as compounds ? Will you like them more ? Only you can answer those questions.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Most people don't do Deadlifts & Squats because they're HARD, and if you're progressively increasing the weight, they're definitely not going to get any easier. Deadlift & Squats are the 2 exercise that work the most muscles, that said, there are NO substitutes.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is amazing how much the mental aspect of lifting plays into it. If you have a work out buddy or trainer, let that person handle the weights. Don't even look at what is on the bar, and do the work---I bet you will be surprised with the results.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've squatted and DL'ed much more, but something is holding me back a bit - maybe the fear of injury.

If you focus on form with lighter weight and progress using correct form then there should be no reason to worry about injury. I played football in HS, and had to have two knee operations and be on crutches for about 6 months. I have used that as a 'crutch' my whole life to not do squats and deads. I finally faced my fear and learned the correct way how to do those exercises and you know what ? I have zero worries anymore about it. I have never felt anything uncomfortable in knees doing these exercises.

Correct form is a MUST REQUIREMENT
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there really aren't any direct substitutes that will hit all the same muscle groups in one move. If you want to try switching it up though, for squats you could try going to single leg variations. Pistols would be a good example, that will definitely challenge your leg muscles and your balance. You miss out on all the other muscles that are engaged in a normal back or front squat though.
  • beekay70
    Options

I totally do not understand your question. You are weightlifting but you don't like doing these because they are not 'easier' ? I may be missing something but isn't that the point ? Seriously I am not trying to be blunt but isn't the whole point to push yourself, and sometime push hard ? It shouldn't ever be easy. Its a progression for strength. If it was easy there would be no strength progression.
    And I am not sure that just because you don't like them you shouldn't do them. Forcing yourself to do something is half the battle for ANYONE pushing themselves in any fitness regiment.

That said if you are looking for alternatives you could always go into isolation split routines. Are they as effective as compounds ? Will you like them more ? Only you can answer those questions.

It's not really the level of difficulty. It's hard to explain, but I'll try. Setting a PR for a bench press is difficult, but there is also a feeling of power and accomplishment that go with it. cv2k alluded to this. With a deadlift, it takes so much out of me with no immediate return. I don't think I'm in the minority, as you'll notice that a lot of people take an unbalanced approach to lifting, neglecting their lower body in favor of their upper body. It may just be the return on investment: quicker and more noticeable results.

Anyway, it's really not about it being difficult. No one goes to the gym to be comfortable. I love the feeling of exhaustion and being covered in sweat. Just not sure about the squat and DL. Maybe with practice, I'll develop a level of comfort with these forms that will allow me to bask in the glow of getting my *kitten* kicked by my workout.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options

No, just do them and get over it. Yes, unless you like having weak/weak looking legs.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I was doing weighted squats last night and my trainer was heckling me hard about only going down far enough to count as a "half squat." So I got my *kitten* all the way down finally and boy does it make a difference. Sometimes you think you are doing a lot but turns out you aren't!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The very title of this thread makes me weep for you.

I have nothing else to add to the conversation. Just pity.
  • beekay70
    Options

No, just do them and get over it. Yes, unless you like having weak/weak looking legs.

Hey, now. I didn't say anything about having week/weak looking legs. I have gorgeous legs.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup!
  • Crymoarfatty
    Options
    I do squats, it doesn't hurt but my knees do crunch. I don't personally, think squats are that healthy on your body. How is that good for your knees?