I hate Deadlifts and Squats

Options

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The very title of this thread makes me weep for you.

I have nothing else to add to the conversation. Just pity.

It's just sad that you took the time to comment. I guess I also pity you.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Are there suitable alternatives? Will they get easier? Are they really that critical? I look forward to your input.

No, just do them and get over it. Yes, unless you like having weak/weak looking legs.

Hey, now. I didn't say anything about having week/weak looking legs. I have gorgeous legs.

Wrong. I have gorgeous legs.
  • Crymoarfatty
    Options
    Are there suitable alternatives? Will they get easier? Are they really that critical? I look forward to your input.

No, just do them and get over it. Yes, unless you like having weak/weak looking legs.

Hey, now. I didn't say anything about having week/weak looking legs. I have gorgeous legs.

lol
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I'm not taking anything away from your legs. Just saying, I don't have a prison body. Didn't skip leg day, just didn't go heavy. Working on it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I want to lick them.
  • Crymoarfatty
    Options

I'm not taking anything away from your legs. Just saying, I don't have a prison body. Didn't skip leg day, just didn't go heavy. Working on it.

Is that a man in a dress? That is a man right?
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Just believe in the motive behind the madness. Your core is the key to strength and better overall physique. what better way to work your core than deadlifts and squats. Squats promote balance and also help release growth hormone that is beneficial throughout your body and not just your legs. I could go on and on but, nobody said you had to love it....just do it.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Seriously squats and deads are the base for almost every lifting program out there for the simple fact that they hit SO MANY muscle groups doing them...NOT just lower body. Cant build a fortress without a good base.

The very fact that you hate them tells me you SHOULD be doing them..that you NEED to do them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to build a balanced physique and get stronger. I'm happy with my upper body progress and would like to drop from 16% body fat to 10-12%. This is where I know the squats are important. I'm only squatting 135 right now just to nail the form and 225 on my RDL. I've used straps in the past for the DL, but I'm not using them right now. My grip strength isn't currently an issue. I think for the moment, it's in my head. I've squatted and DL'ed much more, but something is holding me back a bit - maybe the fear of injury.
    Then you should do them. Don't want to end up looking like a lightbulb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Yes, yes you do.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ^^ This !

Don't be a Captain Upperbody

(I love that term!)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup!

^^
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    nothing worth doing is easy! No matter what your goals are, if weight training is part of it, then these are the 2 lifts you should not ignore.

For me, deads are much more taxing on my body. I know what I can and cant' do with them, so may approach on deadlift day is different than squats. Much less volume, lower rep sets, and I don't push it as hard on that day, even though the end result is I'm as wiped out as I get on squat day. Just more overall body effect with deads for me.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try good mornings! I had horrible deadlift form that I just couldn't get right, so I tried these and they force you into the right position. I've seen HUGE progress in my hamstrings since I've been doing them. I think you might like them better than deadlifts, and not because they're easier ('cause they're not).

As for squats: Just gotta power through them. Leg days suck but I'd never skip 'em!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to build a balanced physique and get stronger. I'm happy with my upper body progress and would like to drop from 16% body fat to 10-12%. This is where I know the squats are important. I'm only squatting 135 right now just to nail the form and 225 on my RDL. I've used straps in the past for the DL, but I'm not using them right now. My grip strength isn't currently an issue. I think for the moment, it's in my head. I've squatted and DL'ed much more, but something is holding me back a bit - maybe the fear of injury.

I have the same issue when I try to squat and/or deadlift without my trainer. I always go lighter and if I do go heavier, I usually end up getting hurt. Not sure why exactly I can't focuson form when he's not around...guess the fear of him yelling at me for poor form keeps my form in line. LOL. Also, I hate squats, but do them because they're so great for the posterior chain. I actually love deads. My squats are weaksauce, no doubt because I don't like doing them - it's been really hard for me to get my form right on squats - even with my trainer overseeing.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    wait, you've been doing them for a whole week and you've haven't started enjoying them yet? and you're hoping they get easier? if you want easy, get a paper route. if you want strong legs, get a barbell and do what you have to do.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    sensitive men are sensitive

tumblr_mque5mGa881s2amn4o1_500.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I appreciate (almost) all of the input. So far, only one a$$wipe with nothing more to do in her pathetic Internet life but to comment that the mere title of the discussion invoked nothing but pity from her. In person, I'm sure she's awesome. On the Interwebz, she comes off a bit in-your-face-b!tchy.

I will press on and progress through these lifts and I will ensure that my form is spot on before adding weight.

lots of butthurt there, champ.
    Squat like a baby

baby-squat.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    if you want easy, get a paper route. if you want strong legs, get a barbell and do what you have to do.
    BJC_hIUCAAI8SCr.jpg