can you stll lose belly fat and have carbs?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    sigh i dont think there is an answer to how to lose belly fat! i think it's genetic lol. i'm not "fat" but i still have belly fat.. when i was skinny at younger age, i still had little of belly fat. it's def where my fat wants to go! it'll be nice if they go to my boobs lol

Reduce your overall bf% and it'll go.

You'll need a programme that minimises lbm loss whilst you're losing weight or else, you'll lose both fatty and non-fatty tissue and end up with a slightly smaller version of you still toting a (albeit smaller) belly.

This,

When you are starting to get really lean, then you notice that the fat in your belly starts dimpling and gets "really squishy".

it gets very soft vs other areas of your body. It looks ugly when it starts dimpling but the fat is breaking up and the outcome is awesome.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    sigh i dont think there is an answer to how to lose belly fat! i think it's genetic lol. i'm not "fat" but i still have belly fat.. when i was skinny at younger age, i still had little of belly fat. it's def where my fat wants to go! it'll be nice if they go to my boobs lol

You'll need a programme that minimises lbm loss whilst you're losing weight or else, you'll lose both fatty and non-fatty tissue and end up with a slightly smaller version of you still toting a (albeit smaller) belly.

This,

When you are starting to get really lean, then you notice that the fat in your belly starts dimpling and gets "really squishy".

it gets very soft vs other areas of your body. It looks ugly when it starts dimpling but the fat is breaking up and the outcome is awesome.

sowhat exercises may i do at home that could help me?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

This,

sowhat exercises may i do at home that could help me?
    no specific exercise will help you... but overall fat loss.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause fat. Calorie surpluses cause fat. Eat a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. Resistance traing and you will retain muscle.

QFT
  • PeterCohenUK
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think we all need carbs but not excessively.

The only way to lose belly fat is to exercise on top of watching your diet. Our body stores excessive calorie in anticipation of famine which seldom happens in our society nowadays. While exercise burns calorie.

The way I interpret your message is, you want to lose belly fat but you also love carbs, right?

By all mean, go and enjoy your favorite carbs BUT NOT excessively and do it once a week only.

For your belly fat, sorry dude, you HAVE to exercise.

I know, I used to be a fatty too but not anymore. This is the program had helped me tremendously: http://InsaneBodyShape.com . Check it out you will agree with me.
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Step one... Stop arguing...
    Step two... Read article by Lyle McDonald whom is an expert in the field of dieting. BTW... I'm sorry but women don't react carbs differently than men; they just tend to have slower metabolic rates. I find the sexism in this claim appalling. I am so appalled I am crying uncontrollably and don't know when I will stop... I very ultra extremely appalled... By this racism... Why be racist against men? We've done nothing wrong... But... A few things maybe.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-and-fat-controversies-part-1.html

Step three... Get a glass wine... Turn on some good tunes... Sit back... Let the good times roll.

Still laughing...
  • kschiff01
    kschiff01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    uh calorie surplus is what puts on fat

Partly correct
  • carolynrussell20
    Options
    Amen to sugar being a bigger problem than carbs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Amen to sugar being a bigger problem than carbs.

Sugar is a carb yo! lol
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of carbs. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight/fat. Also, you can't spot reduce, meaning I wouldn't focus on only "losing belly fat", because if you lose in other areas, you're going to be dissapointed. Just focus on losing period.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    so i am on my journey to be more lean and get rid of the spare tire i have for a belly lol. i wanted to know if its still ok to consume carbs because i have people say its a no no for belly fat and some say its fine. i love rice esp white but i don't have too much of it, just 1 cup. i am confused?!!

One could argue that is it essential to consume carbs for leanness. If you exercise (which you should) carbs are an essential nutrient for performance.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    vardaemi: "These people are called diabetic and should seek treatment."

Yes--high blood sugar over time will result in a person being diagnosed as Type II diabetic--but there is a long ramp up to that point. Controlling blood sugar keeps insulin down and thus keeps fat from being stored in response to the high blood sugar that most people have today. Since they have been keeping track of blood sugars (beginning in the 1920s) what is considered "normal" blood sugar levels have risen. High blood sugar comes from eating large meals containing large amounts of carbohydrate without a corresponding calorie-burn from activity (which is difficult to accomplish when one is sluggish as a result of eating large amounts of sugar and starch). Keeping blood sugar/insulin down will result in the body's cells becoming more sensitive to leptin so that it will work as it should (curbing appetite so that the body uses up its excess fat reserves). Exercise is a vital part of the equation for obese persons--not so much because it uses up calories (although that IS a benefit) as because it increases human growth hormone and adiponectin levels, which are also part of the process of controlling body fat. Exercise also works to decrease cortisol levels (cortisol causes fat to accumulate preferentially on the abdomen).
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    so i am on my journey to be more lean and get rid of the spare tire i have for a belly lol. i wanted to know if its still ok to consume carbs because i have people say its a no no for belly fat and some say its fine. i love rice esp white but i don't have too much of it, just 1 cup. i am confused?!!

I'll just add my two cents.

The general knowledge states that you don't "spot reduce" fat, but rather you lose it all over at an even rate. I read that this is not a 100% accurate view of how the human body stores fat, but it's good enough for this purpose (and it's also good to avoid overly complicating things).

Also, I think "carbs" is way too broad. I think you're mostly talking about wheat and corn based processed products here. If you're talking about whole fruits, please eat as many whole fruits as you possibly can. They're generally low in calories, high in fiber and micro nutrients.

So we'll change your question to "Can I get to a low body fat percentage while eating processed wheat/corn based carbs?" To which I would say: yes, but not really. Gaining or losing body fat % is largely a function of net calories. You can certainly produce a caloric deficit while eating these foods, but it's going to be harder because they don't fill you up (low fiber) and they're high in calories. Additionally, they spike your blood sugar levels, and over time (if eaten in large quantities and combined with a sedentary lifestyle and genetic factors) can lead to type 2 diabetes.

To talk about specifically about rice. Steamed rice has ~200 calories per cup, which is relatively high but not as high as pasta (and you don't put sauce or butter on rice). My advice (not worth a whole lot) would be to avoid rice as much as possible but it's not in the same category as things like soda, candy/cake, fried foods, fruit juice, pasta, etc...
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A lot of good info here. Thanks for actual sources cited! :)
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It works for me but everyone is different. I eat more carbs then I should but I eat healthy carbs
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    It works for me but everyone is different. I eat more carbs then I should but I eat healthy carbs

The carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits (good "slow" carbs) have different effects in the body than do the "fast" carbohydrates from sugar and grain starch. Because many of the carbohydrates in vegetables and fruits are bound in fiber, they are absorbed more slowly--which is good for avoiding blood sugar spikes and consequent spikes in insulin. In addition, because the "good" carbs are accompanied by lots of phyto-nutrients (which have been shown in various scientific studies to combat angiogenesis) it is wise to get the vast majority of our carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. Angiogenesis is the process by which cancerous tumors encourage the proliferation of blood vessels that a cancerous tumor needs to grow and spread. There is intriguing evidence that higher than normal angiogenesis also promotes obesity (perhaps one of the reasons why obesity is linked to the incidence of cancer). Since scientists are reasonably certain that we all have stray cancerous cells at all times (as an example, virtually ALL people over the age of 70 have some cancerous cells in their thyroid glands on microscopic examination) it makes sense to "starve" those cancerous cells by including foods that inhibit their ability to secure an increased blood supply. Scientists were recently startled to see that certain vegetables and fruits contain substances (ex. ellagic acid in strawberries or sulphoraphane in broccoli) that have more potent ability to inhibit angiogenesis than do some of the drugs that they have used experimentally to inhibit angiogenesis in cancer patients.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I'll just add my two cents.

The general knowledge states that you don't "spot reduce" fat, but rather you lose it all over at an even rate. I read that this is not a 100% accurate view of how the human body stores fat, but it's good enough for this purpose (and it's also good to avoid overly complicating things).

Also, I think "carbs" is way too broad. I think you're mostly talking about wheat and corn based processed products here. If you're talking about whole fruits, please eat as many whole fruits as you possibly can. They're generally low in calories, high in fiber and micro nutrients.

So we'll change your question to "Can I get to a low body fat percentage while eating processed wheat/corn based carbs?" To which I would say: yes, but not really. Gaining or losing body fat % is largely a function of net calories. You can certainly produce a caloric deficit while eating these foods, but it's going to be harder because they don't fill you up (low fiber) and they're high in calories. Additionally, they spike your blood sugar levels, and over time (if eaten in large quantities and combined with a sedentary lifestyle and genetic factors) can lead to type 2 diabetes.

To talk about specifically about rice. Steamed rice has ~200 calories per cup, which is relatively high but not as high as pasta (and you don't put sauce or butter on rice). My advice (not worth a whole lot) would be to avoid rice as much as possible but it's not in the same category as things like soda, candy/cake, fried foods, fruit juice, pasta, etc...

I agree.
  • emmalzthompson
    Options
    YES. not read any of he comments. but carbs are i everything! esp fruit and veg! carbs are not the enemy, look towards slow releasing carbs though :)
  • happyrelation
    Options
    I am doing a program that I found at http://inshapenow.net that guaranteed to work for all women. It will give you the Venus, sexy body you've wanted.
    No matter what you do, you won't succeed unless you commit.
    I like the one I'm doing because there is a forum of women that have succeeded, doing it, and just starting to support you through every phase.

Good luck. Here's to your weight loss...and mine.
  • gossipkween
    gossipkween Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump for later!