The scariest thing that ever happened to you?

Options

Replies

• babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This thread was a good read! Some scary stories.. :ohwell:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I almost got hit by a car last week, barely jumped out of the way. Didn't stop the car from hitting my hand and the bag in said hand tossing my stuff everywhere. lol.

Or the time I was mugged by three kids in ski masks and a gun...

Or the time a guy tried to force me in his car as I was walking home...

I think I need to move.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    almost drown when I was 6.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I was 22, I woke up with a man standing over my bed. It turned out that it was a co-worker that had been stalking me.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Skydiving. My chute partially opened but was tangled. I had to cut it away and use the reserve chute or untangle it.

Oh, did I mention this was my very first time?

I couldn't bring myself to release the first chute, so I kind of got on my side and bicycle kicked. Trying to spin around and untangle it. Don't know how long it took, but when I heard that pop and looked up to see my canopy open, I was very relieved. I was also very close to the ground and just had time to miss a tree, a barb wire fence and ended up in some farmer's pasture. Pretty far away from the targeted landing area.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Walked into the bathroom, and my reflection in the mirror turned toward me before I started turning toward it to face it.

Yes.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Some of these stories send chills down my spine.

I was driving on a lonely mountain highway in Colorado all by myself when I got caught in a blizzard. I couldn't see at all and the road was icing up and the snow was getting deeper and deeper. I couldn't even tell where the road was anymore. I was just about ready to give up and pull off the road when a snow plow came up behind me. I let him pass and followed him to safety. I was never so happy to see the ground in my life.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Walked into the bathroom, and my reflection in the mirror turned toward me before I started turning toward it to face it.

Yes.

I used to have nightmares about that when I was a kid. To this day, I get anxious around mirrors.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Another one in my teens - was rudely awakened at 4am by 6.0 earthquake. I hate earthquakes!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    civilian area

Unless you are talking about a military police station, then the entire building is a civilian area, as it's not military.
    I hate it when people get that wrong.

A guy tried to stab me in the heart once, my bp vest stopped the knife luckily, so I disarmed him and started beating his *kitten* until the civilian sheriff deputies showed up to help out.

Poor guy fell down a lot while he was being arrested.

A lot.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The first time my lung collapsed I had no idea what had happened. All I knew was that it felt like someone had shot me in the chest. Oy. Oh and this was midway through my senior prom. Nothing says sexy like your date thinking you're dying :wink:
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Toss up really. In short was once being shot at in a high speed chase ran into 6 parked cars, the car went through someones house. Then the owner got a baseball bat and help me until the cops came I was bleeding.

second I was in the military and the 4 start general bodyguard. We are instructed to warn and then shoot to kill. So at dusk some man got over a concertina wired fence with roving guards, two guard shacks. Well he was making his way towards the general's house. I saw the man instructed him to stop moving, he kept moving so I cocked my firearm and he immediately stopped. My hands were shaking....

hell I have lots more stories, getting jumped by a gang of Samoans, a gang with machetes jumping out of the bushes for walking on their street, guns being pulled on me, etc.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was little--probably about 2 because she was still in her crib, there was probably a full week where I would go to get her up in the morning & she would ask me where the old man went. It was so weird. We had an alarm system so I know there was never anyone in the room with her, but her window did face the street. A little while later, an old man did just walk into our house. It turned out he lived in the neighborhood & was alone & was definitely suffering from some kind of senility. He was very nice & I took him home & called the city Elder Services about him. I don't know if he had been looking in her window through the crack in the curtains or what, but it was creepy.

Another time was when I was pregnant with my 4th baby. I was on bed rest & my mom had taken my other boys outside to play. My youngest (at the time) was probably around 2 & he wandered (or ran) away from her & she didn't notice right away. She came in to check & see if he had walked back into the house, but he hadn't. We ran around the neighborhood yelling for him for about 10 minutes before I happened to see him out of the corner of my eye before he disappeared into one of my neighbor's backyard. He has Asperger's & would not respond to his name when he was called. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. My immediate neighbor had a pond in her yard & there was a creek back behind all of our houses. I was so panicked. I will never forget it. My other son was definitely traumatized by it as well.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    While living in Taiwan last year (I'm British) I ended up having to have life saving surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.
    Thankfully the hospital was amazing, everyone spoke English (I'm not fluent in mandarin) and I recovered well :drinker:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    It is a tie.
    While in the Army, I had the pleasure of being deployed to Somolia.
    To cut to the chase, I kicked in a door and the guy on the other side fired two rounds at me with an AK-47. He was about 10 feet away and missed. That was scary.

Fast forward 8 years. Married and (this is important), I became a Jehovahs Witness.
    The religion is important because we don't take blood.
    Anyway, my wife is in labor with our first Son. As he came out, I heard the Doctor say "Uh oh". Now, if there is ONE place you don't want to hear that, it is in a delivery room.
    I look at him and say "Uh oh what?"
    He looks at me and said "You guys are Jehovah's Witnesses, right?"
    For what it's worth, that is probably the ONLY time you DON'T want to hear that question.
    I nonned my head and he said something or made a signal. The room suddenly filled up with people.
    My wife was bleeding to death from "up there". The baby, as he came out, had torn some arteries inside of her.
    They rushed her into the OR and, for a solid hour, I had no idea if she was dead or alive.
    (spoiler alert.. she lived)
    That was the most terrifying hour of my life.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i havent had too many scares myself, however, my sister was due to fly out of new york back to australia when 9/11 happened.

i remember it clearly, i was watching the west wing when my housemate came out of his room and said "Someone has flown a plane into the world trade center" my first thought was "what an idiot" cos i thought it had been an accident.

then i remember seeing the 2nd plane hit live and you could tell he was aiming for it. i rang my folks and thats when they told me it was the day my sis was due to fly out.

turns out she was on the last plane to take off before all the airports were closed. Infact that had tried to prevent hers from taking off but they were already on the runway.

they had been at the WTC the day before on a tour too.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It is a tie.
    To cut to the chase, I kicked in a door and the guy on the other side fired two rounds at me with an AK-47. He was about 10 feet away and missed. That was scary.

Fast forward 8 years. Married and (this is important), I became a Jehovahs Witness.
    Anyway, my wife is in labor with our first Son. As he came out, I heard the Doctor say "Uh oh". Now, if there is ONE place you don't want to hear that, it is in a delivery room.
    For what it's worth, that is probably the ONLY time you DON'T want to hear that question.
    I nonned my head and he said something or made a signal. The room suddenly filled up with people.
    My wife was bleeding to death from "up there". The baby, as he came out, had torn some arteries inside of her.
    They rushed her into the OR and, for a solid hour, I had no idea if she was dead or alive.

So I guess you took blood?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    It is a tie.

So I guess you took blood?
    No.. They pumped her full of saline solution. I would imagine it is different then the one we use for our contact lenses but, they gave her a LOT of it.
    When talking to the doctor a few weeks later, he told me that as soon as they would clamp one tear, they would find the other one further up.
    I can't remember how many stitches it took but, I do remember a LOT of blood.
    My poor wife had "Fred Flinstone" feet for about two weeks.
    The doctor explained how close she actually came to bleeding out and he was very proud (as he should have been) of the fact that he was able to save her without the use of blood.
    Our next child was a C section.
    And for the record, MUCH less drama.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Almost fell while rock climbing, and because of a long series of events that I won't go into, I had no safety gear at all. Had to jump off this ledge and grab a rock, and it was about a hundred foot drop if I missed it.

I didn't miss, obviously, but gah... my leg wouldn't stop shaking for about 10 minutes afterward.